Re: Obi "rules"

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "heiannoyukiume" <whitefeatherart@...> wrote:
      > I believe that in the Heian through Sengoku periods, front-tied obi for women were almost (if not completely) universal. I can't think of any period sources indicating a back-tied obi; perhaps Saionji-hime might have some more references about this, though, as she's more the expert on period women's fashion? :?

      I don't recall having seen any iconographic evidence for back-tied obi prior to 1600, however, costume designer Emi Wada may know something I don't. She put the female retainers in "Ran" in back-tied obi about 3" wide. This makes practical sense if one is performing tasks where dangling obi ties are going to get in one's way, but I don't know what historical evidence it's based on.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjyAC2ENl5I is a production video from "Ran" that shows the outfits to which I am referring.