Re: Obi "rules"

  • ErinK
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 11 7:40 AM
      Ah, so I would have known this if I'd made more progress on my resolution to actually READ books instead of just buy them (and look at the pictures).

      Saionji-sensei's article (link elsewhere in the thread) is very helpful too. I think I had actually read that before, and that's why I didn't remember it being an issue.

      Thanks, everyone!

      ERIN

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 11 8:44 AM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "heiannoyukiume" <whitefeatherart@...> wrote:
        > I believe that in the Heian through Sengoku periods, front-tied obi for women were almost (if not completely) universal. I can't think of any period sources indicating a back-tied obi; perhaps Saionji-hime might have some more references about this, though, as she's more the expert on period women's fashion? :?

        I don't recall having seen any iconographic evidence for back-tied obi prior to 1600, however, costume designer Emi Wada may know something I don't. She put the female retainers in "Ran" in back-tied obi about 3" wide. This makes practical sense if one is performing tasks where dangling obi ties are going to get in one's way, but I don't know what historical evidence it's based on.

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjyAC2ENl5I is a production video from "Ran" that shows the outfits to which I am referring.