Women After The Jokyu Disturbance

  • Victoria
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 11, 2010
      I was told by Lady Solveig that women generally had it worse after the Jokyu Disturbance.
      I'm interested in gender politics in history (as well as having thought about a 15th/16th c. persona), and I'd like to know more since I've found it difficult to track down info online.
      What powers did women have pre-Jokyu that were restricted afterwards? I'm assuming owning land and inheriting from family members, etc.

      I've heard about women in manlike roles after the Jokyu Disturbance too - I think the wives of samurai were allowed to learn some combat skill to defend their homes. I've also read about a lady called Mochizuki Chiyome (16th c.?) who recruited unwanted and orphaned girls to train them as ninja/spies, as well as the apparent existance of female ninja elsewhere. Would it be right to guess that these sort of situations were more due to acting in emergencies and for other people's gain rather than being the choice of the women involved?