Obi "rules"

  • Erin Kelly
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
      I can never remember whether I'm supposed to tie my obi in the back or in
      the front. I've heard that during some time period only courtesans would
      tie their obi one of the two ways (but of course I can never remember
      which).

      When did that come about, and how do we know that anyway?

      Thanks!

      ERIN

    • William Giltner
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
        *Blush*
         The obi thing comes from Rate of customer satisfaction (per/Hour)
        *nosebleed*
         A proper lady would have hers tied in the back (as Normal) a Street courteasan would have hers tied in the front (easier and FASTER to get to).

          At least that is my understanding from listening to one lady take pleasure in recounting how she had shown a lady (that she didnt like) to tie it in the front.

        William S. Giltner

        Lrd Tatsuo Okami

        Iron River Armoury

        www.iron-river-armoury.com

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
          On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:17 PM, Erin Kelly <tupan4@...> wrote:
          > I can never remember whether I'm supposed to tie my obi in the back or in
          > the front.  I've heard that during some time period only courtesans would
          > tie their obi one of the two ways (but of course I can never remember
          > which).

          I haven't seen anything to conclude that there was anything like this in period.

          Most obi on women appear to be tied in front, though there are other
          ways to do it. Remember they are not/not the large obi you see
          elsewhere.

          -Ii
        • Ellen Badgley
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
            On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:23 PM, William Giltner <
            iron_river_armoury@...> wrote:

            > *Blush*
            > The obi thing comes from Rate of customer satisfaction (per/Hour)
            > *nosebleed*
            > A proper lady would have hers tied in the back (as Normal) a Street
            > courteasan would have hers tied in the front (easier and FASTER to get to).
            >
            > At least that is my understanding from listening to one lady take
            > pleasure in recounting how she had shown a lady (that she didnt like) to tie
            > it in the front.
            >
            > William S. Giltner
            >
            > Lrd Tatsuo Okami

            I believe you were misled, or the lady was misinformed. At least she would
            appear to have shown her disliked rival a more appropriately period
            practice, which I doubt was intended!

            As Lord Ii said, most women's obis in SCA period appear to have been tied in
            front. It didn't indicate a thing about negotiable affection.

            For a far more complete analysis, including references to period art, see
            our own Saionji-hime's excellent article at her website:
            http://wodefordhall.com/editorials.htm

            - Abe Akirakeiko.

          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
              <iron_river_armoury@...> wrote:
              > *Blush*
              >  The obi thing comes from Rate of customer satisfaction (per/Hour)
              > *nosebleed*
              >  A proper lady would have hers tied in the back (as Normal) a Street courteasan would have hers tied in the front (easier and FASTER to get to).
              >
              >   At least that is my understanding from listening to one lady take pleasure in recounting how she had shown a lady (that she didnt like) to tie it in the front.

              Fortunately, the lady (if she should be called that) who was
              attempting to dupe another did not know what she was talking about.
              That may be an Edo period tradition, but it definitely isn't in our
              period of study:

              http://www.flickr.com/photos/tatsushu/3986721182/in/set-72157622402471317/

              That's from "The Maple Viewers". These are all respectable people
              (men on one side, women on the other), and look at the obi on these
              women. I'm willing to bet they'd have words with anyone who called
              them prostitutes.

              There are many more such pictures we can dig up.

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 9, 2010
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Ellen Badgley <flyingrat42@...> wrote:
                > For a far more complete analysis, including references to period art, see
                > our own Saionji-hime's excellent article at her website:
                > http://wodefordhall.com/editorials.htm

                You beat me to it.

                Saionji no Whew
              • heiannoyukiume
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2010
                  Obi were tied at the front by all women until fairly recent time periods. Around the Edo period, courtesans (called oiran or tayuu) started tying the in the front, while other women started tying theirs in the back.

                  This was not, as commonly speculated, because it was easier to untie that way, but because tying obi in the front was the style of that time period for married women, and courtesans were in effect "wives for a night."

                  Source: "Kimono: Fashioning Culture" by Liza Dalby, The Costume Museum of Kyoto Website, various references cited at Immortal Geisha Forums

                  I believe that in the Heian through Sengoku periods, front-tied obi for women were almost (if not completely) universal. I can't think of any period sources indicating a back-tied obi; perhaps Saionji-hime might have some more references about this, though, as she's more the expert on period women's fashion? :?
                • ErinK
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 11, 2010
                    Ah, so I would have known this if I'd made more progress on my resolution to actually READ books instead of just buy them (and look at the pictures).

                    Saionji-sensei's article (link elsewhere in the thread) is very helpful too. I think I had actually read that before, and that's why I didn't remember it being an issue.

                    Thanks, everyone!

                    ERIN

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 11, 2010
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "heiannoyukiume" <whitefeatherart@...> wrote:
                      > I believe that in the Heian through Sengoku periods, front-tied obi for women were almost (if not completely) universal. I can't think of any period sources indicating a back-tied obi; perhaps Saionji-hime might have some more references about this, though, as she's more the expert on period women's fashion? :?

                      I don't recall having seen any iconographic evidence for back-tied obi prior to 1600, however, costume designer Emi Wada may know something I don't. She put the female retainers in "Ran" in back-tied obi about 3" wide. This makes practical sense if one is performing tasks where dangling obi ties are going to get in one's way, but I don't know what historical evidence it's based on.

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjyAC2ENl5I is a production video from "Ran" that shows the outfits to which I am referring.