Re: Making a Japanese female persona.

  • Victoria
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 8, 2010
      Thank you for all the help and good advice!
      I'm quite certain I will end up mixing activities from many different times - I'm already finding an interest in European calligraphy.

      That makes much more sense about uji names now, as well as all the given name, nickname, and title mixing that goes on in medieval Japanese history.

      I've heard about Tomoe Gozen, and it's good to hear that even if she is not a traceable historic figure, she was at least a period concept.

      The Kamakura period looks interesting, I'll certainly look into that. So, after the Jokyu period, did women's roles in society become more restricted?
      I've heard of things like kunoichi (something like female ninja/spies, I think) and the wives of samurai learning some combat skills in order to defend their homes in later periods, but it does seem like these are more like women in subservient roles more than independant women making their own choices.
    • Victoria
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
        I'm putting things together very quickly now, after getting my hands on Sei Shonagon's Pillow Book and few books on medieval military history.

        I want to use Torii as a surname, since it sounds quite locative too and I adore those shrine gates. Also, Victoria = Tori = Torii. ^__^

      • Jeanel Walker
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
          "There are a whole bunch of -ko and -me names used by

          commoners during the Kamakura period listed on pages 166-167.

          I'm getting a bit pooped. I can come back with more names from the

          Heian period if you wish to be from the Heian period.Your Humble Servant

          Solveig Throndardottir

          Amateur Scholar"

          ohhh please if you can find the time I would be so intrested in female names of the heian to Kamakura period

          it would be a great help.

          Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

          Would the names in http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/sca- jml/message/ 26747 be suitable for late Heian/early Kamakura?

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria" <victoria@...> wrote:

            > I'm putting things together very quickly now, after getting my hands on Sei Shonagon's Pillow Book and few books on medieval military history.
            >
            > I want to use Torii as a surname, since it sounds quite locative too and I adore those shrine gates. Also, Victoria = Tori = Torii. ^__^

            Was this you? The exact same question came up over on the Tousando:

            http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=3188&page=1

            Saionji no Needs A Bowl of Tea
            West Kingdom
          • Victoria
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
              Yes, that was... I'm afraid I'm still having trouble deciding. I adore Ume, Momo and Ito, but some of the long names from the list (Ayamachi and Higashi in particular) are just fantastic.
              I'm afraid I'll never find a name that feels right...
            • Melanie Wing
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                I feel your pain. It took me over a year to settle on my name. I got
                myself a copy of *Solveig's **pamphlet* and poured over the names for a long
                time. I discarded any that seemed overused or complicated to pronounce.
                Once I had a short list of like 40 personal and 40 surnames I had my
                daughter read them out to me one at a time.

                My daughter is an avid anime and manga lover so she helped me cross off any
                that were popular characters from those so I would not sound like a total
                fangirl.

                I also had it registered so I had to keep those rules in mind also.

                It all paid off in the end when someone else with a Japanese persona
                referred to Ishikawa-san and I realized he was talking about ME!

                -Ishikawa Ayame

                On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Victoria <victoria@...> wrote:

                > Yes, that was... I'm afraid I'm still having trouble deciding. I adore Ume,
                > Momo and Ito, but some of the long names from the list (Ayamachi and Higashi
                > in particular) are just fantastic.
                > I'm afraid I'll never find a name that feels right...
                >
                > __._

              • Jeanel Walker
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                  no im sorry that was not me.

                  Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                    My wife loves to knit, crochet, and other similiar things, is there a period Japanese craft that falls in that group?

                    In Honor and Service,
                    Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
                    House Chiburi

                  • JL Badgley
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                      On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Bryant Richards
                      <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:
                      > My wife loves to knit, crochet, and other similiar things, is there a period Japanese craft that falls in that group?

                      Fingerloop braiding might come the closest. I've not seen any
                      evidence that the Japanese knitted; possibly because they didn't have
                      much in the way of wool yarn to work with.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:

                        > My wife loves to knit, crochet, and other similiar things, is there a period Japanese craft that falls in that group?

                        Kumihimo is a braiding technique that might interest her. It's how armor lacings and other braided cords were produced and it is period.

                        Saionji no Hanae
                      • Bryant Richards
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 13, 2010
                          >Kumihimo is a braiding technique that might interest her. It's how armor lacings and other braided cords were produced and it is period.

                          yeah we know about that, I actually do Kumihimo, she doesn't like the braiding, after it just makes cords, she was hoping there was something closer to kniting or crochet

                          ________________________________

                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 13, 2010
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:

                            > yeah we know about that, I actually do Kumihimo, she doesn't like the braiding, after it just makes cords, she was hoping there was something closer to kniting or crochet

                            Not to my knowledge, sorry.

                          • Quokkaqueen
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 13, 2010
                              <<snip>>
                              something closer to kniting or crochet
                              <<snip>>

                              What about netting? The knots used in fishing nets might be close to the techniques used in crochet.

                              eg. this looks like it's from a museum display:
                              http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com/just-what-was-so-amazing-about-jomon-japan/ways-of-the-jomon-world-2/a-hunting-we-will-go/examining-the-jomon-hunter-gathers-toolkit/

                              I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to find more information about it, though.

                              ~ Asfridhr
                            • carriepalmer.geo
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010
                                How did they make socks (tabi) if they didn't knit? There's no evidence of anyone crochet to my knowledge later than the 1800s.

                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

                                > <<snip>>
                                > something closer to kniting or crochet
                                > <<snip>>
                                >
                                > What about netting? The knots used in fishing nets might be close to the techniques used in crochet.
                                >
                                > eg. this looks like it's from a museum display:
                                > http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com/just-what-was-so-amazing-about-jomon-japan/ways-of-the-jomon-world-2/a-hunting-we-will-go/examining-the-jomon-hunter-gathers-toolkit/
                                >
                                > I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to find more information about it, though.
                                >
                                > ~ Asfridhr

                              • Ellen Badgley
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010
                                  On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 8:42 PM, carriepalmer.geo <
                                  carriepalmer.geo@...> wrote:

                                  > How did they make socks (tabi) if they didn't knit? There's no evidence of
                                  > anyone crochet to my knowledge later than the 1800s.

                                  Tabi (and shitozu, their non-split-toed equivalent) are not knit but sewn.
                                  My husband (Ii-dono) has made his own tabi and shitozu following historical
                                  patterns-- there are fancy brocade shitozu from the 700's in the Shoso-in in
                                  Nara.

                                  - Abe Akirakeiko

                                • Deb Strub
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010
                                    They were sewn from brocades and/or thin leather. The only knit tabi I've
                                    seen are modern ones.

                                    YIS,

                                    Tsuruko

                                    _____

                                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
                                    "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

                                    > <<snip>>
                                    > something closer to kniting or crochet
                                    > <<snip>>
                                    >
                                    > What about netting? The knots used in fishing nets might be close to the
                                    techniques used in crochet.

                                    > eg. this looks like it's from a museum display:
                                    > http://heritageofja
                                    <http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com/just-what-was-so-amazing-about-jomon-j
                                    apan/ways-of-the-jomon-world-2/a-hunting-we-will-go/examining-the-jomon-hunt
                                    er-gathers-toolkit/>
                                    pan.wordpress.com/just-what-was-so-amazing-about-jomon-japan/ways-of-the-jom
                                    on-world-2/a-hunting-we-will-go/examining-the-jomon-hunter-gathers-toolkit/

                                    > I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to find more information about it,
                                    though.

                                    > ~ Asfridhr

                                  • Bryant Richards
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010
                                      >Not to my knowledge, sorry.

                                      Yeah that's what we thought, but it was worth the shot, thanks to everyone!!

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010

                                        > yeah we know about that, I actually do Kumihimo, she doesn't like
                                        > the braiding, after it just makes cords, she was hoping there was
                                        > something closer to kniting or crochet
                                        How about basket weaving?

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010

                                          > How did they make socks (tabi) if they didn't knit? There's no
                                          > evidence of anyone crochet to my knowledge later than the 1800s.
                                          Tabi are made from woven cloth.

                                        • carriepalmer.geo
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
                                            Well I'm sorry I didn't know.

                                            > Noble Cousin!
                                            >
                                            > Greetings from Solveig!
                                            > > How did they make socks (tabi) if they didn't knit? There's no
                                            > > evidence of anyone crochet to my knowledge later than the 1800s.
                                            > Tabi are made from woven cloth.
                                            >
                                            > Your Humble Servant
                                            > Solveig Throndardottir
                                            > Amateur Scholar

                                          • JL Badgley
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
                                              On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:34 AM, carriepalmer.geo
                                              <carriepalmer.geo@...> wrote:
                                              > Well I'm sorry I didn't know.

                                              No need to apologize.

                                              FYI, most period socks or stockings I've seen are actually not
                                              knitted. I know that weaving may not be what you're looking for, but
                                              hirao (especially the early ones) are woven by hand, and might be
                                              interesting. If I have time, I'll find some examples for you. There
                                              are even some pretty cools ones where you weave with beads embedded in
                                              the weave.

                                              -Ii
                                            • Chibasama Ryuichiro
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
                                                I made a hat using some basket weaving techniques. I'm sure it's not
                                                period, but with a little research, it might be something she enjoys.

                                                Live, Love, Learn!
                                                -Chiba

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
                                                  Found this online about knitting in Asia (at least in China), which
                                                  really kind of surprised me in that they specifically claim it didn't
                                                  come in until the 19th or 20th century.

                                                  http://knittingkninja.com/category/knitting-history/

                                                  Kind of surprising; I would have thought at least some nalbinding,
                                                  etc. might have made its way into the trade routes.