Temari

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2010
      And another one, forwarded by Moderator

      Good Morning Everyone:

      After searching several popular temari sites, reading through SCA instructor handouts, scanning 4 modern book introductions and peeking into the group's archives, I am coming up dry.

      Can you help? Do you, or someone you know, have literary, artistic or (the dream) archeological evidence for temari before 1600?

      I,like thousands of others, have fallen in love with the art form. I would like to teach it, but hate to do so with out some proof of its existence somewhere during our time period.

      I am grateful for any assistance you are able to render or for the knock on the head for missing something that is out there. I am limited to English and that might be the problem. ;-)

      ~Apollonia Voss
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 8, 2010
        > Can you help? Do you, or someone you know, have literary, artistic or (the dream) archeological evidence for temari before 1600?

        Try searching on "kemari."
        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/kemari.html has some information on this period football game and an image of a game ball, which, as you can see, is very plain.

        I have a feeling that the decorative form you're interested in is yet another art form that developed during the Edo period.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 8, 2010
          Noble Cousins!

          Greetings from Solveig! While hardly authoritative, the following web
          page does claim that temari made from silk originated in the
          Muromachi period while those made from cotton originated in the Edo
          period.

          http://hanatemari.web.fc2.com/page009.html