Making a Japanese female persona...

  • Victoria
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2010
      I've been thinking about having a Japanese persona for some time now, and since I want to get my SCA membership soon, I would like to bring it all together. I know that a persona isn't needed for membership, but I want one!

      My main interests in Japanese history are military history, art, textiles and maybe one day dance and music (I'd love to learn biwa or one of the fue), but right now I'm not really focused on any particular time period... there's something interesting about all of them! I have considered 15th/16th century though, due to the Sengoku period, and the Heian period due to the fascinating court lives.
      I've got a very faint concept of a persona, mainly based on my real life abilities (as in, lack of sewing skills!) - relatively young, unmarried, not particularly high-ranking but still someone who'd be present at court.
      I'm also rapidly becoming a stick jock, and for now my armour will be black plastic covered with a big tunic but one day I hope to make Japanese armour. It would be absolutely fantastic if I could include my fighting in my persona's story and still stay female - but of course, I'm aware that it isn't necessary in the SCA and is probably unlikely or non-existant historically.
      Any advice?

      As for names, I've been working on it for a while and I've already found out a lot. There's a few things I don't understand though, mainly in the surname/family name area.
      I've heard that women did not use family names in some time periods, they used 'uji' - I've read that uji are something like clan names, but can anyone give me a simple explanation?