Re: [SCA-JML] Making a Japanese female persona.

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 7, 2010
      Welcome!

      On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:29 PM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

      > My main interests in Japanese history are military history, art, textiles and maybe one day dance and music (I'd love to learn biwa or one of the fue), but right now I'm not really focused on any particular time period... there's something interesting about all of them! I have considered 15th/16th century though, due to the Sengoku period, and the Heian period due to the fascinating court lives.
      > I've got a very faint concept of a persona, mainly based on my real life abilities (as in, lack of sewing skills!) - relatively young, unmarried, not particularly high-ranking but still someone who'd be present at court.

      As someone who does all time periods, play with different eras that you like!

      > I'm also rapidly becoming a stick jock, and for now my armour will be black plastic covered with a big tunic but one day I hope to make Japanese armour. It would be absolutely fantastic if I could include my fighting in my persona's story and still stay female - but of course, I'm aware that it isn't necessary in the SCA and is probably unlikely or non-existant historically.
      > Any advice?

      Remember, your persona story does not have to fit everything you do.
      After all, I do personas from several different centuries (and
      continents): how would I be expected to fit all of that in?

      It is unlikely, not non-existant, to see women fighting in Japan.
      That said, I wouldn't bother justifying it. Just do what you want to
      do. Don't worry that it won't be "justified"

      > As for names, I've been working on it for a while and I've already found out a lot. There's a few things I don't understand though, mainly in the surname/family name area.
      > I've heard that women did not use family names in some time periods, they used 'uji' - I've read that uji are something like clan names, but can anyone give me a simple explanation?

      Okay, "uji" were originally the clans determined by the court; the
      names were regulated, and this was actually part of the way the
      government was structured. Later on, you see the term "uji" thrown
      about, and today people talk about this and that "uji", but there is
      still a distinction between family/clans that arose on their own and
      ones with court sanction.

      Families are just families. Often they are descended from an uji, so
      they are subbranches (though even families could have further
      subbranches, later on). For our purposes, they all work as family
      names, and you would likely be known by that name. Depending on the
      time, place, and situation, you might go by your title, your position,
      your family name, or you uji name (if you have claim to one). It all
      depends on what the occasion is.

      -Ii
    • William Giltner
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 7, 2010
        Goode lady
          If there is NO one period that calls to you and you wish to incorporate your fighting into your personae ...  I would like to mention Tomoe Gozen to you....  And her retinue of female fighters.

        William S. Giltner

        Lrd Tatsuo Okami

        Iron River Armoury

        www.iron-river-armoury.com

        --- On Sun, 3/7/10, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:

        I'm also rapidly becoming a stick jock, and for now my armour will be black plastic covered with a big tunic but one day I hope to make Japanese armour. It would be absolutely fantastic if I could include my fighting in my persona's story and still stay female - but of course, I'm aware that it isn't necessary in the SCA and is probably unlikely or non-existant historically.

        Any advice?

        <!

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 7, 2010
          On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:16 AM, William Giltner
          <iron_river_armoury@...> wrote:
          > Goode lady
          >   If there is NO one period that calls to you and you wish to incorporate your fighting into your personae ...  I would like to mention Tomoe Gozen to you....  And her retinue of female fighters.

          Just a note: The historical nature of Tomoe Gozen as a fighter is
          doubted. Still, it is an example of the Japanese *idea* of a woman at
          war (as would be Empress Jingu).

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 7, 2010

            Greetings from Solveig! You can probably best integrate the things
            that you are interested in if you are from the early Kamakura period.
            That is from about the time of the Genpei War up through the Jokyu
            Disturbance. Basically, you will have recognizable military folks
            around, you will be able to own and control land, andd even fight.

          • Victoria
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 8, 2010
              Thank you for all the help and good advice!
              I'm quite certain I will end up mixing activities from many different times - I'm already finding an interest in European calligraphy.

              That makes much more sense about uji names now, as well as all the given name, nickname, and title mixing that goes on in medieval Japanese history.

              I've heard about Tomoe Gozen, and it's good to hear that even if she is not a traceable historic figure, she was at least a period concept.

              The Kamakura period looks interesting, I'll certainly look into that. So, after the Jokyu period, did women's roles in society become more restricted?
              I've heard of things like kunoichi (something like female ninja/spies, I think) and the wives of samurai learning some combat skills in order to defend their homes in later periods, but it does seem like these are more like women in subservient roles more than independant women making their own choices.
            • Victoria
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                I'm putting things together very quickly now, after getting my hands on Sei Shonagon's Pillow Book and few books on medieval military history.

                I want to use Torii as a surname, since it sounds quite locative too and I adore those shrine gates. Also, Victoria = Tori = Torii. ^__^

              • Jeanel Walker
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                  "There are a whole bunch of -ko and -me names used by

                  commoners during the Kamakura period listed on pages 166-167.

                  I'm getting a bit pooped. I can come back with more names from the

                  Heian period if you wish to be from the Heian period.Your Humble Servant

                  Solveig Throndardottir

                  Amateur Scholar"

                  ohhh please if you can find the time I would be so intrested in female names of the heian to Kamakura period

                  it would be a great help.

                  Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                  Would the names in http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/sca- jml/message/ 26747 be suitable for late Heian/early Kamakura?

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Victoria" <victoria@...> wrote:

                    > I'm putting things together very quickly now, after getting my hands on Sei Shonagon's Pillow Book and few books on medieval military history.
                    >
                    > I want to use Torii as a surname, since it sounds quite locative too and I adore those shrine gates. Also, Victoria = Tori = Torii. ^__^

                    Was this you? The exact same question came up over on the Tousando:

                    http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=3188&page=1

                    Saionji no Needs A Bowl of Tea
                    West Kingdom
                  • Victoria
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                      Yes, that was... I'm afraid I'm still having trouble deciding. I adore Ume, Momo and Ito, but some of the long names from the list (Ayamachi and Higashi in particular) are just fantastic.
                      I'm afraid I'll never find a name that feels right...
                    • Melanie Wing
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                        I feel your pain. It took me over a year to settle on my name. I got
                        myself a copy of *Solveig's **pamphlet* and poured over the names for a long
                        time. I discarded any that seemed overused or complicated to pronounce.
                        Once I had a short list of like 40 personal and 40 surnames I had my
                        daughter read them out to me one at a time.

                        My daughter is an avid anime and manga lover so she helped me cross off any
                        that were popular characters from those so I would not sound like a total
                        fangirl.

                        I also had it registered so I had to keep those rules in mind also.

                        It all paid off in the end when someone else with a Japanese persona
                        referred to Ishikawa-san and I realized he was talking about ME!

                        -Ishikawa Ayame

                        On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Victoria <victoria@...> wrote:

                        > Yes, that was... I'm afraid I'm still having trouble deciding. I adore Ume,
                        > Momo and Ito, but some of the long names from the list (Ayamachi and Higashi
                        > in particular) are just fantastic.
                        > I'm afraid I'll never find a name that feels right...
                        >
                        > __._

                      • Jeanel Walker
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                          no im sorry that was not me.

                          Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                            My wife loves to knit, crochet, and other similiar things, is there a period Japanese craft that falls in that group?

                            In Honor and Service,
                            Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
                            House Chiburi

                          • JL Badgley
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                              On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 6:24 AM, Bryant Richards
                              <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:
                              > My wife loves to knit, crochet, and other similiar things, is there a period Japanese craft that falls in that group?

                              Fingerloop braiding might come the closest. I've not seen any
                              evidence that the Japanese knitted; possibly because they didn't have
                              much in the way of wool yarn to work with.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 12, 2010
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:

                                > My wife loves to knit, crochet, and other similiar things, is there a period Japanese craft that falls in that group?

                                Kumihimo is a braiding technique that might interest her. It's how armor lacings and other braided cords were produced and it is period.

                                Saionji no Hanae
                              • Bryant Richards
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 13, 2010
                                  >Kumihimo is a braiding technique that might interest her. It's how armor lacings and other braided cords were produced and it is period.

                                  yeah we know about that, I actually do Kumihimo, she doesn't like the braiding, after it just makes cords, she was hoping there was something closer to kniting or crochet

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 13, 2010
                                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Bryant Richards <ninjalikereflex@...> wrote:

                                    > yeah we know about that, I actually do Kumihimo, she doesn't like the braiding, after it just makes cords, she was hoping there was something closer to kniting or crochet

                                    Not to my knowledge, sorry.

                                  • Quokkaqueen
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 13, 2010
                                      <<snip>>
                                      something closer to kniting or crochet
                                      <<snip>>

                                      What about netting? The knots used in fishing nets might be close to the techniques used in crochet.

                                      eg. this looks like it's from a museum display:
                                      http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com/just-what-was-so-amazing-about-jomon-japan/ways-of-the-jomon-world-2/a-hunting-we-will-go/examining-the-jomon-hunter-gathers-toolkit/

                                      I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to find more information about it, though.

                                      ~ Asfridhr
                                    • carriepalmer.geo
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010
                                        How did they make socks (tabi) if they didn't knit? There's no evidence of anyone crochet to my knowledge later than the 1800s.

                                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

                                        > <<snip>>
                                        > something closer to kniting or crochet
                                        > <<snip>>
                                        >
                                        > What about netting? The knots used in fishing nets might be close to the techniques used in crochet.
                                        >
                                        > eg. this looks like it's from a museum display:
                                        > http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com/just-what-was-so-amazing-about-jomon-japan/ways-of-the-jomon-world-2/a-hunting-we-will-go/examining-the-jomon-hunter-gathers-toolkit/
                                        >
                                        > I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to find more information about it, though.
                                        >
                                        > ~ Asfridhr

                                      • Ellen Badgley
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010
                                          On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 8:42 PM, carriepalmer.geo <
                                          carriepalmer.geo@...> wrote:

                                          > How did they make socks (tabi) if they didn't knit? There's no evidence of
                                          > anyone crochet to my knowledge later than the 1800s.

                                          Tabi (and shitozu, their non-split-toed equivalent) are not knit but sewn.
                                          My husband (Ii-dono) has made his own tabi and shitozu following historical
                                          patterns-- there are fancy brocade shitozu from the 700's in the Shoso-in in
                                          Nara.

                                          - Abe Akirakeiko

                                        • Deb Strub
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010
                                            They were sewn from brocades and/or thin leather. The only knit tabi I've
                                            seen are modern ones.

                                            YIS,

                                            Tsuruko

                                            _____

                                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com> .com,
                                            "Quokkaqueen" <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

                                            > <<snip>>
                                            > something closer to kniting or crochet
                                            > <<snip>>
                                            >
                                            > What about netting? The knots used in fishing nets might be close to the
                                            techniques used in crochet.

                                            > eg. this looks like it's from a museum display:
                                            > http://heritageofja
                                            <http://heritageofjapan.wordpress.com/just-what-was-so-amazing-about-jomon-j
                                            apan/ways-of-the-jomon-world-2/a-hunting-we-will-go/examining-the-jomon-hunt
                                            er-gathers-toolkit/>
                                            pan.wordpress.com/just-what-was-so-amazing-about-jomon-japan/ways-of-the-jom
                                            on-world-2/a-hunting-we-will-go/examining-the-jomon-hunter-gathers-toolkit/

                                            > I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to find more information about it,
                                            though.

                                            > ~ Asfridhr

                                          • Bryant Richards
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010
                                              >Not to my knowledge, sorry.

                                              Yeah that's what we thought, but it was worth the shot, thanks to everyone!!

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010

                                                > yeah we know about that, I actually do Kumihimo, she doesn't like
                                                > the braiding, after it just makes cords, she was hoping there was
                                                > something closer to kniting or crochet
                                                How about basket weaving?

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 14, 2010

                                                  > How did they make socks (tabi) if they didn't knit? There's no
                                                  > evidence of anyone crochet to my knowledge later than the 1800s.
                                                  Tabi are made from woven cloth.

                                                • carriepalmer.geo
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
                                                    Well I'm sorry I didn't know.

                                                    > Noble Cousin!
                                                    >
                                                    > Greetings from Solveig!
                                                    > > How did they make socks (tabi) if they didn't knit? There's no
                                                    > > evidence of anyone crochet to my knowledge later than the 1800s.
                                                    > Tabi are made from woven cloth.
                                                    >
                                                    > Your Humble Servant
                                                    > Solveig Throndardottir
                                                    > Amateur Scholar

                                                  • JL Badgley
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
                                                      On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:34 AM, carriepalmer.geo
                                                      <carriepalmer.geo@...> wrote:
                                                      > Well I'm sorry I didn't know.

                                                      No need to apologize.

                                                      FYI, most period socks or stockings I've seen are actually not
                                                      knitted. I know that weaving may not be what you're looking for, but
                                                      hirao (especially the early ones) are woven by hand, and might be
                                                      interesting. If I have time, I'll find some examples for you. There
                                                      are even some pretty cools ones where you weave with beads embedded in
                                                      the weave.

                                                      -Ii
                                                    • Chibasama Ryuichiro
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
                                                        I made a hat using some basket weaving techniques. I'm sure it's not
                                                        period, but with a little research, it might be something she enjoys.

                                                        Live, Love, Learn!
                                                        -Chiba

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Mar 15, 2010
                                                          Found this online about knitting in Asia (at least in China), which
                                                          really kind of surprised me in that they specifically claim it didn't
                                                          come in until the 19th or 20th century.

                                                          http://knittingkninja.com/category/knitting-history/

                                                          Kind of surprising; I would have thought at least some nalbinding,
                                                          etc. might have made its way into the trade routes.