Re: [SCA-JML] (unknown)

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
      On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:29 AM, coyote Silverpaw
      <ancientone@...> wrote:
      >>>If you think it would be helpful, I can take some detail photos of the inside and outside of my hats and post them
      >
      > That would be immensely helpful!
      > As photos online are very limited...
      >
      > Any ideas where to pick up straw???
      > I am thinking a local farmers market... but hay is not the same as straw
      > Other idea is to get straw brooms from local asian supermarket??

      You do not want straw brooms. "Rice straw" is very different and
      closer to raffia than to "straw". Raffia is easy to get at most craft
      stores.

      I've tried to find rice-farming groups who are trying to find ways to
      get rid of their wasted product (the rice straw), but so far no luck
      as I've been on the east coast, in the past, not the west. If you are
      anywhere in the west coast area, see if you can't contact some rice
      farms and find out what they do with the leftover straw. You may be
      able to harvest it, if you live in the area.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, coyote Silverpaw <ancientone@...> wrote:
        > That would be immensely helpful!
        > As photos online are very limited...

        I've uploaded them to my Flickr account because you can enlarge the view much more than you can in our YahooGroups photo albums. (Click on the magnifying glass for "All Sizes" at the top of the photo to do so.) You may have to cut/paste the URL if YahooGroups drops part of it.

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4404906427/

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4405670252/

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4405671448/

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4404909787/

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4405673560/

        This is the sando gasa I bought several years ago from Bokunan-do. You can see that it has a definite radial structure. The original atadamai was also straw. (I cannot be certain if it is rice straw or bamboo. The site refers to them as "rush hats.") I replaced it last summer with the fabric pad and rolled fabric atadamai last summer after a blow-out. What you can't see is that there is a flat plastic ring attached to the center of the hat. That's what I've sewn the harness to.

        If you manage to come up with a fabrication method, I do hope you'll share!