silly question looking for pattern for vest thingy

  • Jeanel Walker
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 17, 2010
      i have been looking and looking but cant find any good pics. Did not the men wear a vest like jacket over there hakamas and kisoto ?
      It would be very brocade and outlandish in colors ...bright and vivd
      Ive know Ive seen them in movies the head of some clan would be wearing it over his part armor, but  I was wondering if there was actual garb like this and what period would it be.
      or did they just do some movie magic to differentiate the characters.
      Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 17, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jeanel Walker <brytephyre@...> wrote:
        > i have been looking and looking but cant find any good pics. Did not the men wear a vest like jacket over there hakamas and kisoto ?

        BTW, it's called a kosode.

        There's something called the kataginu which was worn in the 16th century as daywear by men of the samurai caste. It looks like this: http://www.wodefordhall.com/torashibrown.jpg

        Please go to
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sca-jml/files/Garb%20files/ and choose the file named "Hitatare-types.pdf" to find a pattern.

        There's also something called a dofuku that could have sleeves or be sleeveless and was worn as an over-robe, as well as the jinbaori which was worn specifically over armor by samurai in command of others. You can make a dofuku fairly easily - it's simply a kosode without the overlap panels in the front. Since it's a man's garment, if you opt for sleeves, they should be fully attatched to the body.

        http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/jinbaori.html
        http://www.rhinohide.cx/tousando/yoriaku/img/misc/jinbaori.jpg

        has some information on jinbaori, which can be elaborately decorated. They generally have "lapels" in the front.

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 17, 2010

          Greetings from Solveig! You are probably looking for pictures of a
          "jinbaori". While you can do a web search and get lots of images, I
          recommend that instead you go to the website for the Costume Museum
          in Kyoto where they have a history of Japanese costume.

        • Jeanel Walker
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 17, 2010
            You guys are awesome!!!! thank you so very much.