Talking of hats...

  • coyote Silverpaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
      Since the subject is about...
      has anyone any clue as to where to get a Japanese straw hat, the wide and short ones?
      Rather than the smaller, pointier Vietnamese style?

      And now the difficult part... any idea where to get them in Australia?

      much appreciated

      Kenji

      Yamamoto Kenjiro Yoshimitsu

      call me coyote, call me raven, call me something else
      youd be right, youd be wrong!
      Find something worth dying for, and LIVE for it!

    • ErinK
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
        That's the perennial question! Here is the stock answer.

        You're probably talking about a san-do gasa, that seems to be the hat we all lust after these days. (Like Samurai Jack wears, if you had that show in your country.)

        This company offers them online, but they are quite pricey: http://www.shop-japan.co.jp/english-boku/warring5-s.htm

        In Australia, you must have friends traveling to Japan all the time, right? There are tons of Australians there! But actually I don't know for sure where to buy one in Japan ... I think there is a costume shop near Sensoji in Asakusa (Tokyo), but prices are similar (and I didn't find that shop when I was there last year).

        I found some cheap ones in Soko Hardware in San Francisco several years ago, but since they don't have a web site that probably doesn't help you.

        ERIN

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, coyote Silverpaw <ancientone@...> wrote:

        > Since the subject is about...
        > has anyone any clue as to where to get a Japanese straw hat, the wide and short ones?
        > Rather than the smaller, pointier Vietnamese style?
        >
        > And now the difficult part... any idea where to get them in Australia?
        >
        > much appreciated
        >
        > Kenji
        >
        > Yamamoto Kenjiro Yoshimitsu
      • Gerard Gillespie
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
          You can also try the e-budostore.com site.
          gerard

          ________________________________
          That's the perennial question! Here is the stock answer.

          You're probably talking about a san-do gasa, that seems to be the hat we all lust after these days. (Like Samurai Jack wears, if you had that show in your country.)

          This company offers them online, but they are quite pricey: http://www.shop- japan.co. jp/english- boku/warring5- s.htm

          In Australia, you must have friends traveling to Japan all the time, right? There are tons of Australians there! But actually I don't know for sure where to buy one in Japan ... I think there is a costume shop near Sensoji in Asakusa (Tokyo), but prices are similar (and I didn't find that shop when I was there last year).

          I found some cheap ones in Soko Hardware in San Francisco several years ago, but since they don't have a web site that probably doesn't help you.

          ERIN

          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups .com, coyote Silverpaw <ancientone@ ...> wrote:

          > Since the subject is about...
          > has anyone any clue as to where to get a Japanese straw hat, the wide and short ones?
          > Rather than the smaller, pointier Vietnamese style?
          >
          > And now the difficult part... any idea where to get them in Australia?
          >
          > much appreciated
          >
          > Kenji
          >
          > Yamamoto Kenjiro Yoshimitsu

        • Cody
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
            thanks for the links
            the e-budostore.com site
            http://www.shop- japan.co. jp/english- boku/warring5- s.htm

            has anyone had any dealings with either?
            any reviews?
            are they safe to trade online with?

            > In Australia, you must have friends traveling to Japan all the time, right?
            This is one hell of an assumption, right?

            Kenji...

            Yamamoto Kenjiro Yoshimitsu
          • John Newton
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
              Greetings Kenji,

              I have ordered from shop-japan.co.jp before, and everything was fine.

              Masahide

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 20, 2010
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, John Newton <masahide@...> wrote:
                > I have ordered from shop-japan.co.jp before, and everything was fine.

                I can second Furusuku-dono's recommendation. Their site includes a currency converter, they ship promptly and will pack your order with great care so that it arrives in pristine condition.

                I had to replace the straw atadamai that came with my sando gasa this summer, but that was after several years of wear.

              • coyote Silverpaw
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 23, 2010
                  I did some investigation and I can get gasa from Japan or via USA (that orders them from Japan)...
                  however I have found that straw is one of those organic materials that must go through quarantine and be fumigated,which adds extra cost and time... and siince the gasa are at least $80 already Im not interested in ordering them...

                  My options now are finding them locally (within the country) or learning to make them myself! Does anyone have any experience with this?

                  Kenji

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 2, 2010
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, coyote Silverpaw <ancientone@...> wrote:

                    > My options now are finding them locally (within the country) or learning to make them myself! Does anyone have any experience with this?

                    I'm guessing that hush means no. If you think it would be helpful, I can take some detail photos of the inside and outside of my hats and post them to the group later tonight.