Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cry

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2010
      On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Solveig Throndardottir
      <nostrand@...> wrote:
      > Note. A good kiai is really only one or two sounds. Physiologically,

      But it can be a prolonged yell, held through multiple attacks, or no
      sound at all. Depending on the school, some teach to vocalize a kiai,
      and others to internalize it. This, in part, makes me wonder where it
      comes from and whether we have evidence of early kiai vocalizations.
      I'll have to check Yagyu and Miyamoto to see if either of them contain
      reference to it; Takuan may also be useful. Though post-period, I
      would take a lack of their discussion of it as a point against,
      though not entirely ruling it out. Draeger might say something on the
      subject.

      I suspect people yelled on the battlefield; I just wonder if they would kiai.