Women's Hats (again)

  • ErinK
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2010
      Another foray into women's headgear in Japan!

      I don't remember previous discussion of these ladies in Maple Viewers.
      http://www.tnm.jp/en/servlet/Con?&pageId=E16&processId=01&col_id=A10470&img_id=C0042444&ref=&Q1=&Q2=&Q3=&Q4=&Q5=&F1=&F2=
      (If that doesn't work, try this URL: http://tinyurl.com/yl3omm8)
      The woman in plaid and the woman in orange stripes are wearing hats that look like white eboshi with long, untied ties. Anyone know what those are?

      The woman (?) in black seems to be a nun, so her headgear is out for me. There are women in straw hats, but I need more hair coverage.

      See, I'm trying to go all Japanese for Gulf Wars. (It's remarkable how many more accessories you need when you're switching cultures with your outfits!) Normally I don't have a problem with my gaijin hair hanging out, but at the moment it's dyed colors not naturally found in hair, and that just strikes me as too overtly modern for an SCA event. Not in the proper spirit of things. My European outfits all have head coverings, but Japanese, not so much.

      I've worn the "standard" black eboshi with my "boy clothes" but that doesn't seem right when I'm dressed as a woman. I have a reasonable facsimile of a sando-gasa for sun protection, but I don't have a good way to transport it to Gulf Wars, and anyway it doesn't cover all my hair.

      So, these maple viewing ladies - does that hat mean anything? I've never noticed it before*, and don't remember seeing it elsewhere. I don't want to make one and then find out it means I'm a prostitute or something....

      ERIN

      * Admittedly, maybe I'm not very observant - I never noticed that one of the women is breast-feeding either! I've even seen this painting in real life...sigh.
    • onewringgold@netzero.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
        To me, they don't look so much like the black lacquered eboshi as they do the katsura-tsusumi, as in this picture:
        http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/25.htm
        Aoyama Narime

[...]

      • Jennifer Kobayashi
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
          --- On Mon, 2/15/10, onewringgold@... <onewringgold@...> wrote:

          > To me, they don't look so much like
          > the black lacquered eboshi as they do the katsura-tsusumi,
          > as in this picture:
          > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/25.htm

          Anyone know what those are?

          --- On Mon, 2/15/10, onewringgold@... <onewringgold@...> wrote in reply:

          > To me, they don't look so much like
          > the black lacquered eboshi as they do the katsura-tsusumi,
          > as in this picture:
          > http://www.iz2.or.jp/english/fukusyoku/busou/25.htm

          They appear to me to be a less exaggerated (and so probably real life) form of the headgear that men playing women wear in kyogen - the "binan-boshi":
          http://www2.ntj.jac.go.jp/unesco/noh/en/kg_plays/kg_plays03.html

          As I understand it, they are basically long broad bands of white tied around the head with trailing ends.

          -Ki no Izumi
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
            Ki no Izumi hime!

            Greetings from Solveig!

            > They appear to me to be a less exaggerated (and so probably real
            > life) form of the headgear that men playing women wear in kyogen -
            > the "binan-boshi":
            > http://www2.ntj.jac.go.jp/unesco/noh/en/kg_plays/kg_plays03.html

            You stole my thunder. That is precisely what they look like to me.
            Can I talk you into kyogen this Summer at Pennsic or will you be too
            busy with Bill the Bard?

          • ErinK
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
              Awesome, they do look like those. Thanks!

              Do we have any other evidence that regular ladies wore them? (Do I need any other evidence?)

              The reason I said eboshi is because I think the pattern is similar - a center seam down the top of the head and a front band. My clan wear a lot of floppy eboshi, so I'm used to seeing them flat. This hat is obviously more roomy.

              ERIN

              > Ki no Izumi hime!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig!
              >
              > > They appear to me to be a less exaggerated (and so probably real
              > > life) form of the headgear that men playing women wear in kyogen -
              > > the "binan-boshi":
              > > http://www2.ntj.jac.go.jp/unesco/noh/en/kg_plays/kg_plays03.html
              >

              > You stole my thunder. That is precisely what they look like to me.
              >
              > Your Humble Servant
              > Solveig Throndardottir
              > Amateur Scholar

            • booknerd9
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
                Anyone have any thoughts about how to create this headgear? I've just been winging it by just wearing a white kerchief in the Western style but if I can wear a better "hat"...

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 16, 2010
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "booknerd9" <Booknerd9@...> wrote:

                  > Anyone have any thoughts about how to create this headgear? I've just been winging it by just wearing a white kerchief in the Western style but if I can wear a better "hat"...

                  http://vixenvintage.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-tie-40s-headscarf.html shows how to do a basic "Rosie the Riveter" tie with the knot at the crown of the head and it's quite easy to do (if you have long hair, pin it up first). To replicate the look of the katsura-me on the KCM site, I would simply suggest you use a much larger square of fabric.

                • booknerd9
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 19, 2010
                    Cute! Thanks! To the fabric store!... *woosh*