Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cry: banzai

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2010
      --- On Sat, 2/13/10, JL Badgley <tatsushu@...> wrote:
      __________________________
      From: JL Badgley <tatsushu@...>
      Subject: Re: [SCA-JML] Battle Cry
      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, February 13, 2010, 9:03 AM

      I could swear I've seen it... don't know if it was for the Emperor at
      the time. The cry means "10,000 Years", and is a wish for longevity,
      so I imagine it would appropriate for many people.

      Well I have found a period use, but not as a battle cry.

      It is used in the Rohei text "Kashin Reigetsu", which is sometimes attributed to the Chinese poet Hsieh Yen of the T'ang dynasty or sometimes to Minamoto no Hideaki (811-950)
      This information is from _Rohei: The Medieval Court Songs of Japan_ by Eta Harich-Schneider Sophia University Press, Tokyo 1965
      The song is a court song of congratulation.

      Ki no Izumi