Choosing a name

  • josta7
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8 1:56 PM
      ã"ã‚"にちは! (konnichi wa-Good afternoon)

      I'm a brand new SCA participant and am interested in fashioning my persona into a Japanese one. I haven't even chosen a name yet though. I have a modern Japanese name that I like to use, Choukou (寵幸), but where might I look for a name that would be fitting for use in the SCA too?

      敬具, (Keigu-Sincerely yours)
      Anna
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8 2:11 PM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "josta7" <grizzy7@...> wrote:

        > ã"ã‚"にちは! (konnichi wa-Good afternoon)
        >
        > I'm a brand new SCA participant and am interested in fashioning my persona into a Japanese one. I haven't even chosen a name yet though. I have a modern Japanese name that I like to use, Choukou (寵幸), but where might I look for a name that would be fitting for use in the SCA too?

        First of all, welcome!

        When choosing a name, be sure to think about gender, social class and period you want to have your persona from. That will help.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8 5:39 PM

          Greetings from Solveig! Welcome to the "mad house" err conversation
          yes that's it. Anyway. You could ask your local herald if they know
          someone with a copy of "Name Construction in Medieval Japan". Heralds
          are generally more friendly than they are given credit for and often
          try to be helpful. You can even consult with an online consulting
          community called the Academy of St. Gabriel. Regardless, I very much
          agree with the first piece of advice that you already received from
          this mailing list. Think about the when and who you are and use that
          as a springboard for designing your name. You may want to check out
          the costume museum for clothing ideas while you are doing this.
          Generally speaking, women in the Society prefer to recreate the late
          Heian and early Kamakura period while men tend more toward the late
          Muromachi period. That said. There are plenty of exceptions. Date
          dono is from the early Muromachi and I believe that Ii dono is from
          the Heian period.

        • josta7
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8 8:07 PM
            Throndardottir-sensei, Saionji-sama,

            Haikei! I am sad to see that the hiragana and kanji didn't translate well over the email. /sigh/

            I'm glad that I've been directed to the resources on the left; I hadn't realized they were actually listed here on the group list site! ^^

            I am considering trying to form a name from my profession... this would be appropriate, yes? Is there a particular period that I should look to for this? I am also asking our herald, when I can get a hold of him; but there is an event coming up this month (the 19th). I'm told if I don't have a name chosen by the time I present myself, I'm in danger of possibly having one assigned to me. E!

            I am looking forward to studying all the many resources you all have made available here! Doumo arigatou gozaimasu!

            Kashiko,
            Anna

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8 9:26 PM
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "josta7" <grizzy7@...> wrote:

              > Haikei! I am sad to see that the hiragana and kanji didn't translate well over the email. /sigh/

              It's possible Yahoogroups can't handle it.

              > I'm told if I don't have a name chosen by the time I present myself, I'm in danger of possibly having one assigned to me. E!

              Don't you believe it. Don't let anyone bulldoze you into rushing or getting stuck with something you do not absolutely love. If necessary, go politely and selectively deaf when someone addresses you by something you do not care to answer to. ;-D

              I don't know how much you know about Japan before 1600, but having an idea of time period and social class will help when it comes to researching names. Is there anything in particular that attracts you? Clothing styles? Literature? Fighting?

              In the meantime, this link is a good place to start:
              http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/miscellany/miscellany.html