Re: [SCA-JML] Heian summer ensemble color question

  • Jennifer Kobayashi
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 8, 2010
      >From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

      >>Lisa Dalby performed ethnographic research concerning modern geisha.
      >>The Costume Museum focuses on the history of Japanese clothing. When
      >>in doubt, use the Costume Museum as the preferred resource of the
      >>two. That said, I'm not at all certain of what Dalby is calling a
      >>chemise.

      Dalby translates Hitoe as chemise - and she specifies that herself. And, just to clarify, this section is her translation/interpretation of the Masasuke shouzokushou by Minamoto Masasuke in her chapter on Heian dress - not her discussion of modern geisha. Granted modern geisha is her expertise.

      And, as I said before, even if the translation is substantially correct it is apparently one man's advice (Minamoto Masasuke) to one specific person (Fujiwara Tashi) about what to wear - so there are clearly other options, including the specific Costume Museum ensemble. I just wish I knew the source of the Costume Museum's ensemble - as a pie in the sky kind of thing you know.

      -Ki no Izumi/Jennifer

      >From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

      >>> Which is the more accurate depiction--the picture or Liza's
      >>> description. If I were to recreate this look, would it be better
      >>> to make the hitoe in white rather than golden yellow as depicted by
      >>> the Kyoto Museum?
      >
      >>Lisa Dalby performed ethnographic research concerning modern geisha.
      >>The Costume Museum focuses on the history of Japanese clothing. When
      >>in doubt, use the Costume Museum as the preferred resource of the
      >>two. That said, I'm not at all certain of what Dalby is calling a
      >>chemise. I suspect that it is an under-garment and may have been made
      >>of hemp or linen. During Summer, unlined robes made out of
      >>comparatively thin fabric were worn. The color combinations are for
      >>those and not for the innermost robe if worn.

    • Jennifer Kobayashi
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 8, 2010
        drat - meant to trim the bottom of that message. :-( sorry

        -Jennifer

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 8, 2010

          Greetings from Solveig! Tables of named seasonal two color
          combinations are available from several different reference works.
          Such tables frequently show up with color illustrations in kogojiten
          and guides to classical literature. The general consensus among
          sources is that there were color combinations for Summer just like
          other seasons.

          Here are color combinations for Summer: http://www.demoivre.org/Japan/
          textiles/combinations/Summer/
          Here are color combinations for all year: http://www.demoivre.org/
          Japan/textiles/combinations/AllYear/

          Regardless, there is ample reason to believe that court ladies were
          colorful during the Summer.

        • Sonny Scott
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 9, 2010
            This is the lead story in Google about the Washington DC snowstorm,
            courtesy of the Times of Asia.

            http://www.timesasia.net/state-of-emergency-pennsylvania-heavy-snow-fall-washington-dc-snowfall-updated-59531639.htm

            All the Mid-Atlantic States are beneath the emergency accompaniment due
            to astringent snow abatement from Friday. The places beneath the
            emergency action are Maryland, Ohio, Delaware and Pennsylvania. People
            in these areas are adversity a lot of as they are heavily abased on the
            accustomed gas food and heating oil.

            The ballsy snowstorm has alongside brought the activity into arrest in
            Pennsylvania. The letters of alley accidents accept as well added due to
            this affectionate of bad acclimate condition. A ancestor and son died
            calm in alley blow on bright artery in Southwestern Virginia while
            allowance addition motorist. According to Virginia accompaniment police,
            a lot of of acclimate accompanying accidents appear aboriginal in the
            morning. In artery 81 in Wythe County, car came to larboard biking lane
            as it spun out of ascendancy in arctic lanes.

            According to acclimate forecast, 20 ??“ 30 inches of blast is accepted
            in this season. A lot of of the Government offices in Washington
            bankrupt 4 hours aboriginal that appointed time today due to affliction
            acclimate conditions. Situation is absolutely bad in southern New Jersey
            and a lot of of the areas in Virginia. Airlines casework were abominably
            afflicted and even some railway casework were canceled due to snowfall.

          • rayzentz@aim.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 9, 2010
              And people wonder why there is confusion in th world...

              Dr. Raymond Zentz

              It is better to die a free man, than to live, a slave.

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 12, 2010
                It was a ballsy snowstorm, indeed.

                Kuro/Danabren