Re: what do u do when your freezing?

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McShane" <mcshanet@...> wrote:

      > I seem to recall in one book I've read, perhaps it was "Japanese Inn," that
      > the Japanese attitude was along the lines of "in winter, one is supposed to
      > be cold."

      It is, after all, winter. ;-D

      I was inspired to pop "The Sea Is Watching" into the DVD player last night. (Lovely little movie, BTW.) Anyway, the girls of the house are sitting around the hibachi with a big futon quilt over their laps. Many of them have scarves around their necks, given the penchant for Edo-period prostitutes to show a lot of neck both front and back. The older client's excuse when he shows up is that his house is right on the river and very cold.

      Then again, on a nice winter day, one might certainly go out and play in the snow. One of the Heian diaries (I can't recall at the moment if it's Sei Shonagon or Murasaki) describes the courtiers building a mountain of snow for fun in the palace garden. And one of my favorite screen paintings shows a group of people rolling large balls of snow in winter and throwing snowballs. A couple of the snowball warriors even use bucket covers as shields.

      http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0022491.jpg

      Brr, all those bare feet and legs are making me cold though!

    • Jeanel Walker
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
        well I know I was fine in my 7 layered court dress one day in April till everyone keep saying "man you got to be hot in that"  I lasted almost all day then got too hot. I still think it was cause everyone keep saying it...but its a different matter when you are cold. Its harder to ignore.

        Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 7, 2010
          Multiple layers of silk can be great insulation, hot or cold!

          Fleece has been on sale recently and I'm trying to go all Japanese at Gulf Wars, so I'm thinking of making a polarfleece layer for the chilly nights. Maybe a mid-thigh kosode that won't necessarily show but will add a little easy insulation.

          I've also seen head scarves about the size of a modern tenugui, but not in any period sources so far. (It was the anime Mushi-shi, which is not even a historical drama but uses a lot of "old-timey" set dressing. It's at least a sense of what modern Japan thinks is traditional, but I certainly can't defend it beyond that!)

          ERIN