Re: [SCA-JML] Re: what do u do when your freezing?

  • Tim McShane
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
      There is also a Zen story of a monk asking a master how to be unaffected by
      the temperature. The reply was to change your mind about how you regard the
      temperature. "It's not too hot until it's so hot it kills you. It's not
      too cold until it's so cold it kills you."

      - Shiro

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
        As many have already replied if it's cold I put on more layers.

        Here in An Tir the weather can often surprise you regardless of the season
        so I prepare for all eventualities. I was at a May Crown a number of years
        ago when we got sun, wind, rain, sleet and snow all in one day.

        I sometimes field herald and am sometimes EMIC which means I'm out in the
        weather all day. For hot weather I wear minimum layers with a hat and
        plenty of sunscreen. If I'm marshalling on the equestrian field I wear my
        black low riding boots for safety reasons.

        For cold weather I add layers and wear silk undies. If it's also raining I
        wear my plain black clogs to keep my feet dry. They resemble the black
        shoes worn with men's court wear so the look isn't too mundane.

        YIS,

        Tsuruko

        _____

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McShane" <mcshanet@...> wrote:

          > I seem to recall in one book I've read, perhaps it was "Japanese Inn," that
          > the Japanese attitude was along the lines of "in winter, one is supposed to
          > be cold."

          It is, after all, winter. ;-D

          I was inspired to pop "The Sea Is Watching" into the DVD player last night. (Lovely little movie, BTW.) Anyway, the girls of the house are sitting around the hibachi with a big futon quilt over their laps. Many of them have scarves around their necks, given the penchant for Edo-period prostitutes to show a lot of neck both front and back. The older client's excuse when he shows up is that his house is right on the river and very cold.

          Then again, on a nice winter day, one might certainly go out and play in the snow. One of the Heian diaries (I can't recall at the moment if it's Sei Shonagon or Murasaki) describes the courtiers building a mountain of snow for fun in the palace garden. And one of my favorite screen paintings shows a group of people rolling large balls of snow in winter and throwing snowballs. A couple of the snowball warriors even use bucket covers as shields.

          http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0022491.jpg

          Brr, all those bare feet and legs are making me cold though!

        • Jeanel Walker
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
            well I know I was fine in my 7 layered court dress one day in April till everyone keep saying "man you got to be hot in that"  I lasted almost all day then got too hot. I still think it was cause everyone keep saying it...but its a different matter when you are cold. Its harder to ignore.

            Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

            >>We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is

            >>bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business

            >>stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...

            Quote Saionji

            >There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a

            small village brothel.

            >Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting

            around on an absolutely

            >dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the

            weather's bad.

            >Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes

            to visit and drink

            >tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's

            likely to be warmer at the

            >pleasure house than at home.

            That is a wonderful movie, I have it on DVD

            And while yes, we can read of people staying in residence with friends

            when weather is bad (or other excuses)

            in Heian era and doing fun activities to pass the time, These are

            exceptions to normal practice... There is always exceptions.. . But this

            was not the usual practice of the day... As I sit here now in my

            modern world, the Captial is shutting down since we are getting sacked

            with a blizzard. I feel a bout of poetry comming on...

            -Takeda

            ----

            Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

            Checked by AVG.

            7:22 AM

          • ErinK
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 7, 2010
              Multiple layers of silk can be great insulation, hot or cold!

              Fleece has been on sale recently and I'm trying to go all Japanese at Gulf Wars, so I'm thinking of making a polarfleece layer for the chilly nights. Maybe a mid-thigh kosode that won't necessarily show but will add a little easy insulation.

              I've also seen head scarves about the size of a modern tenugui, but not in any period sources so far. (It was the anime Mushi-shi, which is not even a historical drama but uses a lot of "old-timey" set dressing. It's at least a sense of what modern Japan thinks is traditional, but I certainly can't defend it beyond that!)

              ERIN