Re: [SCA-JML] what do u do when your freezing?

  • Bryant Richards
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
      Well I just add layers underneath. Also you can remember that as far as the SCA is concerned you are a Japanese person in Europe, so you may have seen all the Europeans wearing cloaks when it gets cold and bought one for yourself :)

      In Honor and Service,
      Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
      House Chiburi

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
        Long Johns!! you can hide them under ANT garb! : )

        sayanora,
        Baron Takeda Yoshinaka
        Seneschal, Barony of Nottinghill Coill

        ________________________________

        ____________ _________ _________ __

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
          This subject comes up repeatededly over on the Tousando Board:
          http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=garb&thread=1619&page=1

          http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1455&page=1

          My "informal" winter court kasane consists of a minimum of 8 robes, six of which are lined. I don't think I could be cold in it if I tried at an indoor event.

          As a practical matter, I regularly get through very cold desert nights at Estrella War in multiple layers of a later period style, usually a linen under-kosode, one or two silk layers over that, and, if necessary, a dofuku made of inauthentic upholstery jacquard with a flannel lining. Now, a dofuku is specifically a man's garment, but we may assume a loyal retainer insisted upon my wearing his. ;-D

          I may supplement this with a pair of silk long underwear - the ladies' kind give you a choice of a v-neck, which hides easily under wafuku. I also have found an online purveyor of fleece "tabi." The ivory ones are unobtrusive enough not to stick out like a sore thumb, especially once one cuts off the lime green brand tags.
          http://www.solsocks.com/styles.htm

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

            > Then quilted versions would be broken out...
            If I may, "quilted" usually refers to something in which the filling is held in place with stitching. All the translations I keep hitting describe winter robes as padded rather than quilted. As far as I know, the padded robes available in period used a batting made of sticky silk known as mawata, which would stay put because of it's gummy qualities instead of needing quilt stitches to hold it in place. The technique known as sachiko is a much later development and originated as a way to strengthen peasant garments as opposed to holding a quilting fill in place.

            > We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is
            > bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business
            > stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...
            There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a small village brothel. Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting around on an absolutely dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the weather's bad. Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes to visit and drink tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's likely to be warmer at the pleasure house than at home.

            FWIW,
            Saionji no Hanae,
            West Kingdom
          • sigrune@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
              Quote Takeda
              >>We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is
              >>bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business
              >>stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...

              Quote Saionji
              >There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a
              small village brothel.
              >Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting
              around on an absolutely
              >dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the
              weather's bad.
              >Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes
              to visit and drink
              >tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's
              likely to be warmer at the
              >pleasure house than at home.

              That is a wonderful movie, I have it on DVD
              And while yes, we can read of people staying in residence with friends
              when weather is bad (or other excuses)
              in Heian era and doing fun activities to pass the time, These are
              exceptions to normal practice... There is always exceptions... But this
              was not the usual practice of the day... As I sit here now in my
              modern world, the Captial is shutting down since we are getting sacked
              with a blizzard. I feel a bout of poetry comming on...

              -Takeda
            • Tim McShane
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                I seem to recall in one book I've read, perhaps it was "Japanese Inn," that
                the Japanese attitude was along the lines of "in winter, one is supposed to
                be cold."

                - Shiro

                >>We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is
                >>bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business
                >>stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...

                Quote Saionji
                >There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a
                small village brothel.
                >Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting
                around on an absolutely
                >dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the
                weather's bad.
                >Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes
                to visit and drink
                >tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's
                likely to be warmer at the
                >pleasure house than at home.

                That is a wonderful movie, I have it on DVD
                And while yes, we can read of people staying in residence with friends
                when weather is bad (or other excuses)
                in Heian era and doing fun activities to pass the time, These are
                exceptions to normal practice... There is always exceptions... But this
                was not the usual practice of the day... As I sit here now in my
                modern world, the Captial is shutting down since we are getting sacked
                with a blizzard. I feel a bout of poetry comming on...

                -Takeda

                7:22 AM
              • Tim McShane
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                  There is also a Zen story of a monk asking a master how to be unaffected by
                  the temperature. The reply was to change your mind about how you regard the
                  temperature. "It's not too hot until it's so hot it kills you. It's not
                  too cold until it's so cold it kills you."

                  - Shiro

                  >>We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is
                  >>bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business
                  >>stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...

                  Quote Saionji
                  >There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a
                  small village brothel.
                  >Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting
                  around on an absolutely
                  >dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the
                  weather's bad.
                  >Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes
                  to visit and drink
                  >tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's
                  likely to be warmer at the
                  >pleasure house than at home.

                  That is a wonderful movie, I have it on DVD
                  And while yes, we can read of people staying in residence with friends
                  when weather is bad (or other excuses)
                  in Heian era and doing fun activities to pass the time, These are
                  exceptions to normal practice... There is always exceptions... But this
                  was not the usual practice of the day... As I sit here now in my
                  modern world, the Captial is shutting down since we are getting sacked
                  with a blizzard. I feel a bout of poetry comming on...

                  -Takeda

                  7:22 AM
                • Deb Strub
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                    As many have already replied if it's cold I put on more layers.

                    Here in An Tir the weather can often surprise you regardless of the season
                    so I prepare for all eventualities. I was at a May Crown a number of years
                    ago when we got sun, wind, rain, sleet and snow all in one day.

                    I sometimes field herald and am sometimes EMIC which means I'm out in the
                    weather all day. For hot weather I wear minimum layers with a hat and
                    plenty of sunscreen. If I'm marshalling on the equestrian field I wear my
                    black low riding boots for safety reasons.

                    For cold weather I add layers and wear silk undies. If it's also raining I
                    wear my plain black clogs to keep my feet dry. They resemble the black
                    shoes worn with men's court wear so the look isn't too mundane.

                    YIS,

                    Tsuruko

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McShane" <mcshanet@...> wrote:

                      > I seem to recall in one book I've read, perhaps it was "Japanese Inn," that
                      > the Japanese attitude was along the lines of "in winter, one is supposed to
                      > be cold."

                      It is, after all, winter. ;-D

                      I was inspired to pop "The Sea Is Watching" into the DVD player last night. (Lovely little movie, BTW.) Anyway, the girls of the house are sitting around the hibachi with a big futon quilt over their laps. Many of them have scarves around their necks, given the penchant for Edo-period prostitutes to show a lot of neck both front and back. The older client's excuse when he shows up is that his house is right on the river and very cold.

                      Then again, on a nice winter day, one might certainly go out and play in the snow. One of the Heian diaries (I can't recall at the moment if it's Sei Shonagon or Murasaki) describes the courtiers building a mountain of snow for fun in the palace garden. And one of my favorite screen paintings shows a group of people rolling large balls of snow in winter and throwing snowballs. A couple of the snowball warriors even use bucket covers as shields.

                      http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0022491.jpg

                      Brr, all those bare feet and legs are making me cold though!

                    • Jeanel Walker
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                        well I know I was fine in my 7 layered court dress one day in April till everyone keep saying "man you got to be hot in that"  I lasted almost all day then got too hot. I still think it was cause everyone keep saying it...but its a different matter when you are cold. Its harder to ignore.

                        Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                        >>We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is

                        >>bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business

                        >>stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...

                        Quote Saionji

                        >There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a

                        small village brothel.

                        >Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting

                        around on an absolutely

                        >dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the

                        weather's bad.

                        >Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes

                        to visit and drink

                        >tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's

                        likely to be warmer at the

                        >pleasure house than at home.

                        That is a wonderful movie, I have it on DVD

                        And while yes, we can read of people staying in residence with friends

                        when weather is bad (or other excuses)

                        in Heian era and doing fun activities to pass the time, These are

                        exceptions to normal practice... There is always exceptions.. . But this

                        was not the usual practice of the day... As I sit here now in my

                        modern world, the Captial is shutting down since we are getting sacked

                        with a blizzard. I feel a bout of poetry comming on...

                        -Takeda

                        ----

                        Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

                        Checked by AVG.

                        7:22 AM

                      • ErinK
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 7, 2010
                          Multiple layers of silk can be great insulation, hot or cold!

                          Fleece has been on sale recently and I'm trying to go all Japanese at Gulf Wars, so I'm thinking of making a polarfleece layer for the chilly nights. Maybe a mid-thigh kosode that won't necessarily show but will add a little easy insulation.

                          I've also seen head scarves about the size of a modern tenugui, but not in any period sources so far. (It was the anime Mushi-shi, which is not even a historical drama but uses a lot of "old-timey" set dressing. It's at least a sense of what modern Japan thinks is traditional, but I certainly can't defend it beyond that!)

                          ERIN