what do u do when your freezing?

  • Jeanel Walker
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
      parden my interruption but dose anyone know of a sight I can go and see what the Heian or Kamakura peirod people wore when it was extreamly cold. I cant imagine them using a cloak. or fur. tho at my last event I was seariously thinking of lining one of my kisotos in fur.

      Im all the way in the south and most of the time its extremely hot, however there are events during the cold weather season and its blows right through you to the bone.
      any info would me humbly appreciated

      Domo Artigato Goisamasu  =)

      Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

    • sigrune@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
        >Pardon my interruption but dose anyone know of a sight I can go
        >and see what the Heian or Kamakura peirod people wore when
        >it was extreamly cold. I cant imagine them using a cloak. or fur.
        >tho at my last event I was seariously thinking of lining one of my
        kisotos in fur.

        I do not know of a good site offhand for Japanese winter wear by
        period... However...

        First off it depends on the class you are protraying at the time and
        what you are wearing as general clothing.

        If you were of the kuge, chances are you would be spending the majority
        of your time out of inclement weather,
        but in those rare times misfortune took you into it (or it was bitter
        enough to invade your space) Lined version of garments would be used
        first,
        Then quilted versions would be broken out... if it was still too cold,
        additional layers may be put on... In those instances though, the
        weather was clearly not auspicious and you would not be at any sort of
        social gathering... people would be tucked away in their homes and
        would pile on what they needed in privacy.

        If you were a member of the buke, again it would be a matter of
        layering up, men required to stand guard woudl simply layer up as well,
        However I suspect that in the capital sine even palace guards were of
        nobility, if the weather was bad enough they would go indoors and
        huddle up to a brazier.

        Commoners and non-courtiers would pretty much bundel up in as much
        quilted and lined version of normal garments as they could. These would
        be the only people outside in the cold doing work or needful tasks.
        They would limit their exposure as best as possible. If the weather
        was snowy/wet/rainy and cold a straw overcoat was worn... In the heavy
        snow areas of japan, straw boots, cloaks, and hats were heavily worn as
        the outer layer... Up in the north the form changed to an a-frame
        winter hat... these people looked like a thatched a-frame cottage on a
        haystack.

        With the winter weather we have been having here, I have been giving it
        much thought myself... And our views of weather are much different than
        historical views, worldwide. Because we have heated transport, good
        roads, telecommunications, electricity, and all the wonderful modern
        things.... We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is
        bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business
        stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...
        This is not just true for ancient Japan but even in Europe... If it was
        too cold to wear normal attire, then it was too cold to do anything
        other than what was needful, and you did whatever it too to be needful.

        Comes down to, espcially for Heian and Kamakura, and very much for the
        aristocracy... If it is so cold you need to be wearing special clothes,
        you are most likely not participating in any social activity... The
        opposite side is your required to, and since your requierment is more
        important to how cold you are you do it however you can and don;t worry
        about what you look like... (IE wearing hakama stuffed with straw and
        wrapped with rags, and wearing 3 kosode and 3 hitatare)

        Myself, if it is so cold that an extra kosode and sweatpants under the
        hakama (not visable) are not gonna cut it, my Japanese clothing (and
        persona) tend to stay home and the European in me comes out to play.

        My intent is not to dissuade you from Japanese... quilted garments,
        linings and layers can go a long long way, but seriously if you are
        that cold that those period methods do not cut it, instead of doing
        someting anachronistic, try a different route for those instances (ie
        european with nice wool dresses and wool cloaks)

        -Takeda
      • Bryant Richards
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
          Well I just add layers underneath. Also you can remember that as far as the SCA is concerned you are a Japanese person in Europe, so you may have seen all the Europeans wearing cloaks when it gets cold and bought one for yourself :)

          In Honor and Service,
          Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
          House Chiburi

          ________________________________

          http://i249. photobucket. com/albums/ gg208/brytephyre /Takinagadevises m.jpg
          http://i249. photobucket. com/albums/ gg208/brytephyre /Eilionoriadevic esm.jpg

        • barontakeda@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
            Long Johns!! you can hide them under ANT garb! : )

            sayanora,
            Baron Takeda Yoshinaka
            Seneschal, Barony of Nottinghill Coill

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
              This subject comes up repeatededly over on the Tousando Board:
              http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=garb&thread=1619&page=1

              http://tousando.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=garb&action=display&thread=1455&page=1

              My "informal" winter court kasane consists of a minimum of 8 robes, six of which are lined. I don't think I could be cold in it if I tried at an indoor event.

              As a practical matter, I regularly get through very cold desert nights at Estrella War in multiple layers of a later period style, usually a linen under-kosode, one or two silk layers over that, and, if necessary, a dofuku made of inauthentic upholstery jacquard with a flannel lining. Now, a dofuku is specifically a man's garment, but we may assume a loyal retainer insisted upon my wearing his. ;-D

              I may supplement this with a pair of silk long underwear - the ladies' kind give you a choice of a v-neck, which hides easily under wafuku. I also have found an online purveyor of fleece "tabi." The ivory ones are unobtrusive enough not to stick out like a sore thumb, especially once one cuts off the lime green brand tags.
              http://www.solsocks.com/styles.htm

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

                > Then quilted versions would be broken out...
                If I may, "quilted" usually refers to something in which the filling is held in place with stitching. All the translations I keep hitting describe winter robes as padded rather than quilted. As far as I know, the padded robes available in period used a batting made of sticky silk known as mawata, which would stay put because of it's gummy qualities instead of needing quilt stitches to hold it in place. The technique known as sachiko is a much later development and originated as a way to strengthen peasant garments as opposed to holding a quilting fill in place.

                > We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is
                > bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business
                > stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...
                There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a small village brothel. Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting around on an absolutely dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the weather's bad. Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes to visit and drink tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's likely to be warmer at the pleasure house than at home.

                FWIW,
                Saionji no Hanae,
                West Kingdom
              • sigrune@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 5, 2010
                  Quote Takeda
                  >>We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is
                  >>bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business
                  >>stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...

                  Quote Saionji
                  >There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a
                  small village brothel.
                  >Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting
                  around on an absolutely
                  >dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the
                  weather's bad.
                  >Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes
                  to visit and drink
                  >tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's
                  likely to be warmer at the
                  >pleasure house than at home.

                  That is a wonderful movie, I have it on DVD
                  And while yes, we can read of people staying in residence with friends
                  when weather is bad (or other excuses)
                  in Heian era and doing fun activities to pass the time, These are
                  exceptions to normal practice... There is always exceptions... But this
                  was not the usual practice of the day... As I sit here now in my
                  modern world, the Captial is shutting down since we are getting sacked
                  with a blizzard. I feel a bout of poetry comming on...

                  -Takeda
                • Tim McShane
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                    I seem to recall in one book I've read, perhaps it was "Japanese Inn," that
                    the Japanese attitude was along the lines of "in winter, one is supposed to
                    be cold."

                    - Shiro

                    >>We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is
                    >>bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business
                    >>stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...

                    Quote Saionji
                    >There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a
                    small village brothel.
                    >Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting
                    around on an absolutely
                    >dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the
                    weather's bad.
                    >Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes
                    to visit and drink
                    >tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's
                    likely to be warmer at the
                    >pleasure house than at home.

                    That is a wonderful movie, I have it on DVD
                    And while yes, we can read of people staying in residence with friends
                    when weather is bad (or other excuses)
                    in Heian era and doing fun activities to pass the time, These are
                    exceptions to normal practice... There is always exceptions... But this
                    was not the usual practice of the day... As I sit here now in my
                    modern world, the Captial is shutting down since we are getting sacked
                    with a blizzard. I feel a bout of poetry comming on...

                    -Takeda

                    7:22 AM
                  • Tim McShane
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                      There is also a Zen story of a monk asking a master how to be unaffected by
                      the temperature. The reply was to change your mind about how you regard the
                      temperature. "It's not too hot until it's so hot it kills you. It's not
                      too cold until it's so cold it kills you."

                      - Shiro

                      >>We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is
                      >>bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business
                      >>stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...

                      Quote Saionji
                      >There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a
                      small village brothel.
                      >Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting
                      around on an absolutely
                      >dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the
                      weather's bad.
                      >Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes
                      to visit and drink
                      >tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's
                      likely to be warmer at the
                      >pleasure house than at home.

                      That is a wonderful movie, I have it on DVD
                      And while yes, we can read of people staying in residence with friends
                      when weather is bad (or other excuses)
                      in Heian era and doing fun activities to pass the time, These are
                      exceptions to normal practice... There is always exceptions... But this
                      was not the usual practice of the day... As I sit here now in my
                      modern world, the Captial is shutting down since we are getting sacked
                      with a blizzard. I feel a bout of poetry comming on...

                      -Takeda

                      7:22 AM
                    • Deb Strub
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                        As many have already replied if it's cold I put on more layers.

                        Here in An Tir the weather can often surprise you regardless of the season
                        so I prepare for all eventualities. I was at a May Crown a number of years
                        ago when we got sun, wind, rain, sleet and snow all in one day.

                        I sometimes field herald and am sometimes EMIC which means I'm out in the
                        weather all day. For hot weather I wear minimum layers with a hat and
                        plenty of sunscreen. If I'm marshalling on the equestrian field I wear my
                        black low riding boots for safety reasons.

                        For cold weather I add layers and wear silk undies. If it's also raining I
                        wear my plain black clogs to keep my feet dry. They resemble the black
                        shoes worn with men's court wear so the look isn't too mundane.

                        YIS,

                        Tsuruko

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Tim McShane" <mcshanet@...> wrote:

                          > I seem to recall in one book I've read, perhaps it was "Japanese Inn," that
                          > the Japanese attitude was along the lines of "in winter, one is supposed to
                          > be cold."

                          It is, after all, winter. ;-D

                          I was inspired to pop "The Sea Is Watching" into the DVD player last night. (Lovely little movie, BTW.) Anyway, the girls of the house are sitting around the hibachi with a big futon quilt over their laps. Many of them have scarves around their necks, given the penchant for Edo-period prostitutes to show a lot of neck both front and back. The older client's excuse when he shows up is that his house is right on the river and very cold.

                          Then again, on a nice winter day, one might certainly go out and play in the snow. One of the Heian diaries (I can't recall at the moment if it's Sei Shonagon or Murasaki) describes the courtiers building a mountain of snow for fun in the palace garden. And one of my favorite screen paintings shows a group of people rolling large balls of snow in winter and throwing snowballs. A couple of the snowball warriors even use bucket covers as shields.

                          http://www.tnm.go.jp/gallery/search/images/max/C0022491.jpg

                          Brr, all those bare feet and legs are making me cold though!

                        • Jeanel Walker
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 6, 2010
                            well I know I was fine in my 7 layered court dress one day in April till everyone keep saying "man you got to be hot in that"  I lasted almost all day then got too hot. I still think it was cause everyone keep saying it...but its a different matter when you are cold. Its harder to ignore.

                            Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                            >>We tend to go do "fun" things even when the weather is

                            >>bad... historically people would stay home, even for general business

                            >>stuff... while we go out in it, not just to work, but to socialize...

                            Quote Saionji

                            >There's a film called "The Sea Is Watching," about the women in a

                            small village brothel.

                            >Set during the Edo period, there's a scene where they're all sitting

                            around on an absolutely

                            >dead night with no customers, huddled around the hibachi because the

                            weather's bad.

                            >Their evening is brightened by the appearance of an old man who comes

                            to visit and drink

                            >tea, bearing treats, basically because he has no family and it's

                            likely to be warmer at the

                            >pleasure house than at home.

                            That is a wonderful movie, I have it on DVD

                            And while yes, we can read of people staying in residence with friends

                            when weather is bad (or other excuses)

                            in Heian era and doing fun activities to pass the time, These are

                            exceptions to normal practice... There is always exceptions.. . But this

                            was not the usual practice of the day... As I sit here now in my

                            modern world, the Captial is shutting down since we are getting sacked

                            with a blizzard. I feel a bout of poetry comming on...

                            -Takeda

                            ----

                            Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

                            Checked by AVG.

                            7:22 AM

                          • ErinK
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 7, 2010
                              Multiple layers of silk can be great insulation, hot or cold!

                              Fleece has been on sale recently and I'm trying to go all Japanese at Gulf Wars, so I'm thinking of making a polarfleece layer for the chilly nights. Maybe a mid-thigh kosode that won't necessarily show but will add a little easy insulation.

                              I've also seen head scarves about the size of a modern tenugui, but not in any period sources so far. (It was the anime Mushi-shi, which is not even a historical drama but uses a lot of "old-timey" set dressing. It's at least a sense of what modern Japan thinks is traditional, but I certainly can't defend it beyond that!)

                              ERIN