Dye techniques (was: Re: My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here )

    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 13, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "jenzelofthefirst" <andrew.aedo@...> wrote:

      > I daresay I am well out of my league here but it has been recommended to me that having your fabric wet before dyeing is essential in getting clean dye lines. To be fair, my source is a how to book on shibori.

      I was told that to get really crisp results with shibori, one *should* wet the fabric before tightening threads and tying them off.

      I have dyed dry silk with no problems when simply trying to do solid colors. However, it's important to make sure the fabric gets immersed fully and keep stirring it around in the dye to make sure the dye is distributed evenly.

      The silk was also dry when I dip dyed it. I'm not certain whether this affected my results one way or another, but I'd be interested to experiment with dip dyeing again in my copious spare time. It might be worth trying it with fabric that has already been wetted.