Re:My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here

    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

      > Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)
      Rit claims to dye everything. However, "everything" that the average consumer is likely to want to dye these days tends to be cotton. Some folks say they've gotten good results with it, for what it's worth.

      > The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
      > deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white...

      Actually, all you need to get the dip-dye effect on silk (which is very happy to take dye at any saturation) is to put the fabric in as far as you want before you get to the area you want to reserve as white and then start pulling it back out of the dye bath gradually.

      For other fibers, you might need to prepare multiple containers at different strengths and add them to the dyepot as you gradually raise the fabric, as described here.
      http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/ombre.html

      Rit, unsurprisingly, suggests you overdye using multiple colors.
      http://www.ritdye.com/Ombre_or_Shadow_Dyeing.37.lasso

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010

        Greetings from Solveig! "Secrets of the Samurai" is the only "source"
        for documenting "tessenjutsu" of which I am aware. This book is not a
        reliable source. "Tessenjutsu" does not appear as an entry in my
        large economy size J-J dictionary. As for "Secrets of the Samurai",
        it also claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by
        yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense.

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
          Baron Edward!

          Greetings from Solveig!
          > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
          > table leg.
          I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
          nesting material for mice.

        • Jeanel Walker
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
            "claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by

            yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense."

            I suppose that would depend on how bad there breath is
            mmmm. did i say that out loud?
            sorry domo domo
            I could not help myself
            Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
              On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

              > Baron Edward!
              >
              > Greetings from Solveig!
              > > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
              > > table leg.
              >
              > I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
              > nesting material for mice.

              It is, indeed. Also, if one has parrots....

              Effingham
            • Brian Dean
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                I have that book, and while some info is reliable in there,, some is total hogwash... some sections gave me a good laugh.

                Hirotora

                To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

                To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 12, 2010
                  Oh My
                     I suppose next you'll claim Tengu dont exist....
                    Or teach swordsmanship....

                                                                                                         ;o)

                  William S. Giltner

                  Lrd Tatsuo Okami

                  Iron River Armoury

                  www.iron-river-armoury.com

                • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                    That's nice!

                    but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                    In a message dated 1/10/2010 10:12:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    wodeford@... writes:

                    The green silk is courtesy of the generosity of Ii Saburou Katsumori and
                    Abe Akirakeiko. The motif was inspired by a tsuba by Hayashi Matashichi that
                    was part of the Lords of the Samurai exhibit at San Francisco's Asian Art
                    Museum this summer.
                    _http://www.miho.http://www.mhttp://www.mhttp://wwwhtt_
                    (http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00003274e.htm)

                    The white sayagata silk was purchased on eBay some time back and hand dyed
                    at home with Jacquard Acid Dye #606 Deep Orange. The dye wicked somewhat
                    unevenly during the drying process, so it's not perfect, but I'm still
                    fairly pleased with the result.

                    _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/)

                    _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4261247335/)

                    _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4236311898/)

                    _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4204315971/)

                    Please ignore the immodest lack of under kosode that was the result of a
                    shiftless retainer having forgotten to pack it. Fortunately, these odd
                    barbarians among whom I must travel did not know the difference.