Re: [SCA-JML] Re:My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here

  • sigrune@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
      Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)

      Had it with salt and vinagar and hot hot hot... can;t remember how
      many packs I used, but it was about 4 times the dye to water that was
      listed (wanted a nice dark portion)

      The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
      deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white... not so spiff in
      execution (especially when I wound up splashing.... :sigh: well at
      elast it is bale enough to try again some day.... If I can find the
      darn thing

      -Takeda

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

        > Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)
        Rit claims to dye everything. However, "everything" that the average consumer is likely to want to dye these days tends to be cotton. Some folks say they've gotten good results with it, for what it's worth.

        > The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
        > deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white...

        Actually, all you need to get the dip-dye effect on silk (which is very happy to take dye at any saturation) is to put the fabric in as far as you want before you get to the area you want to reserve as white and then start pulling it back out of the dye bath gradually.

        For other fibers, you might need to prepare multiple containers at different strengths and add them to the dyepot as you gradually raise the fabric, as described here.
        http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/ombre.html

        Rit, unsurprisingly, suggests you overdye using multiple colors.
        http://www.ritdye.com/Ombre_or_Shadow_Dyeing.37.lasso

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010

          Greetings from Solveig! "Secrets of the Samurai" is the only "source"
          for documenting "tessenjutsu" of which I am aware. This book is not a
          reliable source. "Tessenjutsu" does not appear as an entry in my
          large economy size J-J dictionary. As for "Secrets of the Samurai",
          it also claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by
          yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense.

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
            Baron Edward!

            Greetings from Solveig!
            > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
            > table leg.
            I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
            nesting material for mice.

          • Jeanel Walker
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
              "claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by

              yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense."

              I suppose that would depend on how bad there breath is
              mmmm. did i say that out loud?
              sorry domo domo
              I could not help myself
              Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                > Baron Edward!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig!
                > > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                > > table leg.
                >
                > I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                > nesting material for mice.

                It is, indeed. Also, if one has parrots....

                Effingham
              • Brian Dean
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                  I have that book, and while some info is reliable in there,, some is total hogwash... some sections gave me a good laugh.

                  Hirotora

                  To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                  From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

                  To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 12, 2010
                    Oh My
                       I suppose next you'll claim Tengu dont exist....
                      Or teach swordsmanship....

                                                                                                           ;o)

                    William S. Giltner

                    Lrd Tatsuo Okami

                    Iron River Armoury

                    www.iron-river-armoury.com

                  • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                      That's nice!

                      but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                      In a message dated 1/10/2010 10:12:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      wodeford@... writes:

                      The green silk is courtesy of the generosity of Ii Saburou Katsumori and
                      Abe Akirakeiko. The motif was inspired by a tsuba by Hayashi Matashichi that
                      was part of the Lords of the Samurai exhibit at San Francisco's Asian Art
                      Museum this summer.
                      _http://www.miho.http://www.mhttp://www.mhttp://wwwhtt_
                      (http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00003274e.htm)

                      The white sayagata silk was purchased on eBay some time back and hand dyed
                      at home with Jacquard Acid Dye #606 Deep Orange. The dye wicked somewhat
                      unevenly during the drying process, so it's not perfect, but I'm still
                      fairly pleased with the result.

                      _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                      (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/)

                      _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                      (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4261247335/)

                      _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                      (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4236311898/)

                      _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                      (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4204315971/)

                      Please ignore the immodest lack of under kosode that was the result of a
                      shiftless retainer having forgotten to pack it. Fortunately, these odd
                      barbarians among whom I must travel did not know the difference.