Re: [SCA-JML] Re: My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 11 12:46 PM
      On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:06 AM, JL Badgley wrote:

      > I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.
      >
      > Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
      > shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

      I rank this right up there with all those other massively bogus claims
      of antiquity and connections to famous dead people that so many
      martial arts have.

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 11 1:34 PM
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:
        > I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
        > made a right awful mess...

        Well, mine isn't perfect either. It helps to have a big enough pot to allow you to put the fabric in more or less straight, and a drip bucket to transfer it to wherever you're going to take it to hang dry.

        Dark colors frequently require a higher ratio of dye to water. The type of dye and how it reacts to the type of fiber can also affect results as we discovered while playing around with silk dyes and trying them on both silk and linen. We got purple on both, but completely different shades and saturation.

        I like the Jacquard acid dyes for silk because the most exotic additive required for the process is white cider vinegar.

      • sigrune@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 11 1:42 PM
          Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)

          Had it with salt and vinagar and hot hot hot... can;t remember how
          many packs I used, but it was about 4 times the dye to water that was
          listed (wanted a nice dark portion)

          The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
          deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white... not so spiff in
          execution (especially when I wound up splashing.... :sigh: well at
          elast it is bale enough to try again some day.... If I can find the
          darn thing

          -Takeda

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 11 3:11 PM
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

            > Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)
            Rit claims to dye everything. However, "everything" that the average consumer is likely to want to dye these days tends to be cotton. Some folks say they've gotten good results with it, for what it's worth.

            > The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
            > deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white...

            Actually, all you need to get the dip-dye effect on silk (which is very happy to take dye at any saturation) is to put the fabric in as far as you want before you get to the area you want to reserve as white and then start pulling it back out of the dye bath gradually.

            For other fibers, you might need to prepare multiple containers at different strengths and add them to the dyepot as you gradually raise the fabric, as described here.
            http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/ombre.html

            Rit, unsurprisingly, suggests you overdye using multiple colors.
            http://www.ritdye.com/Ombre_or_Shadow_Dyeing.37.lasso

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 11 8:00 PM
              Noble Cousin!

              Greetings from Solveig! "Secrets of the Samurai" is the only "source"
              for documenting "tessenjutsu" of which I am aware. This book is not a
              reliable source. "Tessenjutsu" does not appear as an entry in my
              large economy size J-J dictionary. As for "Secrets of the Samurai",
              it also claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by
              yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense.

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 11 8:08 PM
                Baron Edward!

                Greetings from Solveig!
                > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                > table leg.
                I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                nesting material for mice.

              • Jeanel Walker
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 11 8:13 PM
                  "claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by

                  yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense."

                  I suppose that would depend on how bad there breath is
                  mmmm. did i say that out loud?
                  sorry domo domo
                  I could not help myself
                  Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 11 8:52 PM
                    On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                    > Baron Edward!
                    >
                    > Greetings from Solveig!
                    > > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                    > > table leg.
                    >
                    > I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                    > nesting material for mice.

                    It is, indeed. Also, if one has parrots....

                    Effingham
                  • Brian Dean
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 11 9:15 PM
                      I have that book, and while some info is reliable in there,, some is total hogwash... some sections gave me a good laugh.

                      Hirotora

                      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                      From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

                      To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 12 6:58 AM
                        Oh My
                           I suppose next you'll claim Tengu dont exist....
                          Or teach swordsmanship....

                                                                                                               ;o)

                        William S. Giltner

                        Lrd Tatsuo Okami

                        Iron River Armoury

                        www.iron-river-armoury.com

                      • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 15 12:29 PM
                          That's nice!

                          but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                          In a message dated 1/10/2010 10:12:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                          wodeford@... writes:

                          The green silk is courtesy of the generosity of Ii Saburou Katsumori and
                          Abe Akirakeiko. The motif was inspired by a tsuba by Hayashi Matashichi that
                          was part of the Lords of the Samurai exhibit at San Francisco's Asian Art
                          Museum this summer.
                          _http://www.miho.http://www.mhttp://www.mhttp://wwwhtt_
                          (http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00003274e.htm)

                          The white sayagata silk was purchased on eBay some time back and hand dyed
                          at home with Jacquard Acid Dye #606 Deep Orange. The dye wicked somewhat
                          unevenly during the drying process, so it's not perfect, but I'm still
                          fairly pleased with the result.

                          _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                          (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/)

                          _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                          (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4261247335/)

                          _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                          (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4236311898/)

                          _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                          (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4204315971/)

                          Please ignore the immodest lack of under kosode that was the result of a
                          shiftless retainer having forgotten to pack it. Fortunately, these odd
                          barbarians among whom I must travel did not know the difference.