Re: [SCA-JML] Re:My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here

  • Aaron Grossman
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
      Ways to tell if you're trying too hard #273 -

      My first thought was "I bet I could set up a block and tackle to a winch, in order to precisely measure the fade of my dye..." at which point I said "Bad engineer!" and returned to enjoying your garb pr0n.

      Thank you,
      Kawaguchi no Ryutaro
      solver of problems that aren't

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
        -----Original Message- Edited for Brevity-----
        From: wodeford <wodeford@...>

        As I have to share the machine with other tenants and don't want to dye
        someone else's underwear inadvertently, I usually work on the stove top
        with a tamale pot big enough to bathe a toddler in. I did the dip
        dyeing on the orange kosode by folding everything over a sturdy
        coathanger, dipping it into the dye and gradually raising it back out
        again.

        -----------------------------------

        I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
        made a right awful mess... I resorted to a squirtbottle set on mist...
        it didn;t work well either, obviously not enough oomph to the dye and
        heat to set it, most of it washed out... instead of rich dark blue, it
        was pale sky blue.

        -Takeda
      • marteenvanrosenveldt
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
          Tessen and the Yoshitsune legend. Reference is here:

          http://books.google.com/books?id=ZFf9e0DmHZUC&pg=PA302&lpg=PA302&dq=yoshitsune+benkei+tessen&source=bl&ots=rYGdELqmVf&sig=T_BM7z_-IE4EKRsvgHwCPJ5HPF0&hl=en&ei=bWxLS6ffG4-isgO20rT1Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBQQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=yoshitsune%20benkei%20tessen&f=false

          Unsourced on the page and I don't have my copy of Secrets of the Samurai at work.

          Benkei did become his loyal side-kick so maybe it's true. Or maybe it's like the ending of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

          Marten

        • sigrune@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
            Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.

            While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
            do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

            -Takeda

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
              On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:06 AM, JL Badgley wrote:

              > I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.
              >
              > Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
              > shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

              I rank this right up there with all those other massively bogus claims
              of antiquity and connections to famous dead people that so many
              martial arts have.

              Effingham
            • Anthony Bryant
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                On Jan 11, 2010, at 1:38 PM, sigrune@... wrote:

                > Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.
                >
                > While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
                > do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

                The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                table leg.
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:
                  > I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
                  > made a right awful mess...

                  Well, mine isn't perfect either. It helps to have a big enough pot to allow you to put the fabric in more or less straight, and a drip bucket to transfer it to wherever you're going to take it to hang dry.

                  Dark colors frequently require a higher ratio of dye to water. The type of dye and how it reacts to the type of fiber can also affect results as we discovered while playing around with silk dyes and trying them on both silk and linen. We got purple on both, but completely different shades and saturation.

                  I like the Jacquard acid dyes for silk because the most exotic additive required for the process is white cider vinegar.

                • sigrune@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                    Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)

                    Had it with salt and vinagar and hot hot hot... can;t remember how
                    many packs I used, but it was about 4 times the dye to water that was
                    listed (wanted a nice dark portion)

                    The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                    deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white... not so spiff in
                    execution (especially when I wound up splashing.... :sigh: well at
                    elast it is bale enough to try again some day.... If I can find the
                    darn thing

                    -Takeda

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

                      > Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)
                      Rit claims to dye everything. However, "everything" that the average consumer is likely to want to dye these days tends to be cotton. Some folks say they've gotten good results with it, for what it's worth.

                      > The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                      > deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white...

                      Actually, all you need to get the dip-dye effect on silk (which is very happy to take dye at any saturation) is to put the fabric in as far as you want before you get to the area you want to reserve as white and then start pulling it back out of the dye bath gradually.

                      For other fibers, you might need to prepare multiple containers at different strengths and add them to the dyepot as you gradually raise the fabric, as described here.
                      http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/ombre.html

                      Rit, unsurprisingly, suggests you overdye using multiple colors.
                      http://www.ritdye.com/Ombre_or_Shadow_Dyeing.37.lasso

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                        Noble Cousin!

                        Greetings from Solveig! "Secrets of the Samurai" is the only "source"
                        for documenting "tessenjutsu" of which I am aware. This book is not a
                        reliable source. "Tessenjutsu" does not appear as an entry in my
                        large economy size J-J dictionary. As for "Secrets of the Samurai",
                        it also claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by
                        yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                          Baron Edward!

                          Greetings from Solveig!
                          > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                          > table leg.
                          I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                          nesting material for mice.

                        • Jeanel Walker
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                            "claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by

                            yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense."

                            I suppose that would depend on how bad there breath is
                            mmmm. did i say that out loud?
                            sorry domo domo
                            I could not help myself
                            Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                              On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                              > Baron Edward!
                              >
                              > Greetings from Solveig!
                              > > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                              > > table leg.
                              >
                              > I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                              > nesting material for mice.

                              It is, indeed. Also, if one has parrots....

                              Effingham
                            • Brian Dean
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                I have that book, and while some info is reliable in there,, some is total hogwash... some sections gave me a good laugh.

                                Hirotora

                                To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

                                To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 12, 2010
                                  Oh My
                                     I suppose next you'll claim Tengu dont exist....
                                    Or teach swordsmanship....

                                                                                                                         ;o)

                                  William S. Giltner

                                  Lrd Tatsuo Okami

                                  Iron River Armoury

                                  www.iron-river-armoury.com

                                • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                                    That's nice!

                                    but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                                    In a message dated 1/10/2010 10:12:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                    wodeford@... writes:

                                    The green silk is courtesy of the generosity of Ii Saburou Katsumori and
                                    Abe Akirakeiko. The motif was inspired by a tsuba by Hayashi Matashichi that
                                    was part of the Lords of the Samurai exhibit at San Francisco's Asian Art
                                    Museum this summer.
                                    _http://www.miho.http://www.mhttp://www.mhttp://wwwhtt_
                                    (http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00003274e.htm)

                                    The white sayagata silk was purchased on eBay some time back and hand dyed
                                    at home with Jacquard Acid Dye #606 Deep Orange. The dye wicked somewhat
                                    unevenly during the drying process, so it's not perfect, but I'm still
                                    fairly pleased with the result.

                                    _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/)

                                    _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4261247335/)

                                    _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4236311898/)

                                    _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                    (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4204315971/)

                                    Please ignore the immodest lack of under kosode that was the result of a
                                    shiftless retainer having forgotten to pack it. Fortunately, these odd
                                    barbarians among whom I must travel did not know the difference.