Re: My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here

    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff's Hotmail" <elrickdelion@...> wrote:

      > That would be awesome. Do you guys know if there is any kind of instructions
      > on how to build one of these fans. I have an idea to make one with titanium
      > ribbing.

      (Sighs heavily.) Instructions on how to build a crappy sensu with inferior materials can be found here: http://www.wodefordhall.com/sensu.htm

      Saionji no Embarrassed
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento" <elizabeth.leonard@...> wrote:

        > I'm convinced that fabric-dying is a
        > science not inferior to neurosurgery.

        Solid color dyeing with modern chemical dyes formulated for the type of fiber you're working with isn't as difficult as you'd think. It can even be done in a top loading washing machine as long as you're willing to keep an eye on it and periodically unwind your fabric from the agitator.

        As I have to share the machine with other tenants and don't want to dye someone else's underwear inadvertently, I usually work on the stove top with a tamale pot big enough to bathe a toddler in. I did the dip dyeing on the orange kosode by folding everything over a sturdy coathanger, dipping it into the dye and gradually raising it back out again.

        Saionji no Hanae
        Apartment dweller
      • Aaron Grossman
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
          Ways to tell if you're trying too hard #273 -

          My first thought was "I bet I could set up a block and tackle to a winch, in order to precisely measure the fade of my dye..." at which point I said "Bad engineer!" and returned to enjoying your garb pr0n.

          Thank you,
          Kawaguchi no Ryutaro
          solver of problems that aren't

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
            -----Original Message- Edited for Brevity-----
            From: wodeford <wodeford@...>

            As I have to share the machine with other tenants and don't want to dye
            someone else's underwear inadvertently, I usually work on the stove top
            with a tamale pot big enough to bathe a toddler in. I did the dip
            dyeing on the orange kosode by folding everything over a sturdy
            coathanger, dipping it into the dye and gradually raising it back out
            again.

            -----------------------------------

            I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
            made a right awful mess... I resorted to a squirtbottle set on mist...
            it didn;t work well either, obviously not enough oomph to the dye and
            heat to set it, most of it washed out... instead of rich dark blue, it
            was pale sky blue.

            -Takeda
          • marteenvanrosenveldt
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
              Tessen and the Yoshitsune legend. Reference is here:

              http://books.google.com/books?id=ZFf9e0DmHZUC&pg=PA302&lpg=PA302&dq=yoshitsune+benkei+tessen&source=bl&ots=rYGdELqmVf&sig=T_BM7z_-IE4EKRsvgHwCPJ5HPF0&hl=en&ei=bWxLS6ffG4-isgO20rT1Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBQQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=yoshitsune%20benkei%20tessen&f=false

              Unsourced on the page and I don't have my copy of Secrets of the Samurai at work.

              Benkei did become his loyal side-kick so maybe it's true. Or maybe it's like the ending of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

              Marten

            • sigrune@aol.com
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.

                While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
                do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

                -Takeda

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                  On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:06 AM, JL Badgley wrote:

                  > I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.
                  >
                  > Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
                  > shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

                  I rank this right up there with all those other massively bogus claims
                  of antiquity and connections to famous dead people that so many
                  martial arts have.

                  Effingham
                • Anthony Bryant
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                    On Jan 11, 2010, at 1:38 PM, sigrune@... wrote:

                    > Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.
                    >
                    > While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
                    > do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

                    The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                    table leg.
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:
                      > I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
                      > made a right awful mess...

                      Well, mine isn't perfect either. It helps to have a big enough pot to allow you to put the fabric in more or less straight, and a drip bucket to transfer it to wherever you're going to take it to hang dry.

                      Dark colors frequently require a higher ratio of dye to water. The type of dye and how it reacts to the type of fiber can also affect results as we discovered while playing around with silk dyes and trying them on both silk and linen. We got purple on both, but completely different shades and saturation.

                      I like the Jacquard acid dyes for silk because the most exotic additive required for the process is white cider vinegar.

                    • sigrune@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                        Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)

                        Had it with salt and vinagar and hot hot hot... can;t remember how
                        many packs I used, but it was about 4 times the dye to water that was
                        listed (wanted a nice dark portion)

                        The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                        deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white... not so spiff in
                        execution (especially when I wound up splashing.... :sigh: well at
                        elast it is bale enough to try again some day.... If I can find the
                        darn thing

                        -Takeda

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

                          > Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)
                          Rit claims to dye everything. However, "everything" that the average consumer is likely to want to dye these days tends to be cotton. Some folks say they've gotten good results with it, for what it's worth.

                          > The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                          > deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white...

                          Actually, all you need to get the dip-dye effect on silk (which is very happy to take dye at any saturation) is to put the fabric in as far as you want before you get to the area you want to reserve as white and then start pulling it back out of the dye bath gradually.

                          For other fibers, you might need to prepare multiple containers at different strengths and add them to the dyepot as you gradually raise the fabric, as described here.
                          http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/ombre.html

                          Rit, unsurprisingly, suggests you overdye using multiple colors.
                          http://www.ritdye.com/Ombre_or_Shadow_Dyeing.37.lasso

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010

                            Greetings from Solveig! "Secrets of the Samurai" is the only "source"
                            for documenting "tessenjutsu" of which I am aware. This book is not a
                            reliable source. "Tessenjutsu" does not appear as an entry in my
                            large economy size J-J dictionary. As for "Secrets of the Samurai",
                            it also claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by
                            yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                              Baron Edward!

                              Greetings from Solveig!
                              > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                              > table leg.
                              I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                              nesting material for mice.

                            • Jeanel Walker
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                "claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by

                                yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense."

                                I suppose that would depend on how bad there breath is
                                mmmm. did i say that out loud?
                                sorry domo domo
                                I could not help myself
                                Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                  On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                                  > Baron Edward!
                                  >
                                  > Greetings from Solveig!
                                  > > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                                  > > table leg.
                                  >
                                  > I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                                  > nesting material for mice.

                                  It is, indeed. Also, if one has parrots....

                                  Effingham
                                • Brian Dean
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                    I have that book, and while some info is reliable in there,, some is total hogwash... some sections gave me a good laugh.

                                    Hirotora

                                    To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                    From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

                                    To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 12, 2010
                                      Oh My
                                         I suppose next you'll claim Tengu dont exist....
                                        Or teach swordsmanship....

                                                                                                                             ;o)

                                      William S. Giltner

                                      Lrd Tatsuo Okami

                                      Iron River Armoury

                                      www.iron-river-armoury.com

                                    • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                                        That's nice!

                                        but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                                        In a message dated 1/10/2010 10:12:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                        wodeford@... writes:

                                        The green silk is courtesy of the generosity of Ii Saburou Katsumori and
                                        Abe Akirakeiko. The motif was inspired by a tsuba by Hayashi Matashichi that
                                        was part of the Lords of the Samurai exhibit at San Francisco's Asian Art
                                        Museum this summer.
                                        _http://www.miho.http://www.mhttp://www.mhttp://wwwhtt_
                                        (http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00003274e.htm)

                                        The white sayagata silk was purchased on eBay some time back and hand dyed
                                        at home with Jacquard Acid Dye #606 Deep Orange. The dye wicked somewhat
                                        unevenly during the drying process, so it's not perfect, but I'm still
                                        fairly pleased with the result.

                                        _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                        (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/)

                                        _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                        (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4261247335/)

                                        _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                        (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4236311898/)

                                        _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                        (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4204315971/)

                                        Please ignore the immodest lack of under kosode that was the result of a
                                        shiftless retainer having forgotten to pack it. Fortunately, these odd
                                        barbarians among whom I must travel did not know the difference.