Re: [SCA-JML] Re: My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
      On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM, marteenvanrosenveldt
      <kenshifencer@...> wrote:
      > Nice work on the garb and dyeing job.
      >
      > BTW, there is a school (ryu) of using the tessen (or folding fan) as a weapon.  This from - gasp! - Wikipedia:
      >
      > "Tessenjutsu(鉄扇術) is the martial art of the Japanese war fan, tessen. It is based on the use of the iron folding fan, which usually had eight or ten ribs. The use of the war fan in combat is mentioned in early Japanese legends. For example, Yoshitsune, a hero of Japanese legend, is said to have defeated an opponent named Benkei by parrying the blows of his opponent's spear with an iron fan. This use of the iron fan was taught to him by a mythological creature, a tengu, who also had instructed him in the art of swordsmanship.

      I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.

      Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
      shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

      -Ii
    • Jeff's Hotmail
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
        That would be awesome. Do you guys know if there is any kind of instructions
        on how to build one of these fans. I have an idea to make one with titanium
        ribbing.

        Elrick Delion

        _____

        BTW, there is a school (ryu) of using the tessen (or folding fan) as a
        weapon. This from - gasp! - Wikipedia:

        "Tessenjutsu(鉄扇術) is the martial art of
        the Japanese war fan, tessen. It is based on the use of the iron folding
        fan, which usually had eight or ten ribs. The use of the war fan in combat
        is mentioned in early Japanese legends. For example, Yoshitsune, a hero of
        Japanese legend, is said to have defeated an opponent named Benkei by
        parrying the blows of his opponent's spear with an iron fan. This use of the
        iron fan was taught to him by a mythological creature, a tengu, who also had
        instructed him in the art of swordsmanship.

        The practitioners of tessenjutsu could acquire a high level of skill. Some
        became so skilled, in fact, that they were able to defend themselves against
        an attacker wielding a sword, and even kill an opponent with a single blow.
        Like so many other Japanese arts of combat during this era, tessenjutsu
        reached a high level of sophistication. For example, a famous swordsman in
        the late 16th century, Ganryu, was able to defeat several enemies with an
        iron fan.

        Apart from using it in duels against enemies armed with swords and spears,
        the skilled wielder could also use it to fence and fend off knives and
        poisoned darts thrown at him.

        Tessenjutsu is still practiced by a few experts in Japan to this day."

        http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessenjutsu>
        .org/wiki/Tessenjutsu

        There is a scene in the movie The Loyal 47 Ronin where Ōishi Yoshio
        uses a tessen to ward off a series of attackers.

        Marten

        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com> .com,

        Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@> wrote:
        > > Did you make the fan also?
        >
        > I did not. That is the infamous "smackity fan," so named because it has an
        eerily weapon-like balance when folded. I suspect it may be a man's fan
        based on size and decoration. I acquired it from an eBay seller several
        years ago.

      • sigrune@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
          -----Original Message-Edited for Brevity-----
          From: JL Badgley <tatsushu@...>

          >The use of the war fan in combat is mentioned in early Japanese
          legends.
          >For example, Yoshitsune, a hero of Japanese legend, is said to have
          defeated an
          >opponent named Benkei by parrying the blows of his opponent's spear
          with an iron fan.

          I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.

          Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
          shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

          I have heard or read that somewhere before... personally I feel it is a
          crock

          From the older accounts it was just a normal fan, not something iron;
          nor was it used to parry, it was just somethign Yoshitsune used in his
          acrobatic dance to frustrate Benkei, the dance was supposed to be a
          showcase of his skill and athleticisim... the focus being that even a
          court dance by the hero Yoshitsune was enough to fend off the attacks
          of (supposedly) Japan's best polearmsman of the time. Though not sure
          how leaps to posts, and running along the railings of a bridge and
          flips figured in court dance :)

          I have not seen an extant example of a pre Edo folding fan with iron
          ribs. And only period one extant example of a folding fan with thin
          iron (iron and gold inaly) on the outmost ribs... Since this was in the
          older style where the outer ribs did not cover the whole of the
          fan-paper, I would surmise the use of iron in this case was a
          decorative motif... IIRC it is circa 1560s. In all cases of
          tessenjitsu that have beleiveable historical accounts, it is Edo
          period, and stems from the use and training of the jitte, specifically
          strikes (swats) to the wrists/hands, arm-locks, and jabs to vulerable
          points... and not so much on the parries.

          -Takeda
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff's Hotmail" <elrickdelion@...> wrote:

            > That would be awesome. Do you guys know if there is any kind of instructions
            > on how to build one of these fans. I have an idea to make one with titanium
            > ribbing.

            (Sighs heavily.) Instructions on how to build a crappy sensu with inferior materials can be found here: http://www.wodefordhall.com/sensu.htm

            Saionji no Embarrassed
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
              --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento" <elizabeth.leonard@...> wrote:

              > I'm convinced that fabric-dying is a
              > science not inferior to neurosurgery.

              Solid color dyeing with modern chemical dyes formulated for the type of fiber you're working with isn't as difficult as you'd think. It can even be done in a top loading washing machine as long as you're willing to keep an eye on it and periodically unwind your fabric from the agitator.

              As I have to share the machine with other tenants and don't want to dye someone else's underwear inadvertently, I usually work on the stove top with a tamale pot big enough to bathe a toddler in. I did the dip dyeing on the orange kosode by folding everything over a sturdy coathanger, dipping it into the dye and gradually raising it back out again.

              Saionji no Hanae
              Apartment dweller
            • Aaron Grossman
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                Ways to tell if you're trying too hard #273 -

                My first thought was "I bet I could set up a block and tackle to a winch, in order to precisely measure the fade of my dye..." at which point I said "Bad engineer!" and returned to enjoying your garb pr0n.

                Thank you,
                Kawaguchi no Ryutaro
                solver of problems that aren't

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                  -----Original Message- Edited for Brevity-----
                  From: wodeford <wodeford@...>

                  As I have to share the machine with other tenants and don't want to dye
                  someone else's underwear inadvertently, I usually work on the stove top
                  with a tamale pot big enough to bathe a toddler in. I did the dip
                  dyeing on the orange kosode by folding everything over a sturdy
                  coathanger, dipping it into the dye and gradually raising it back out
                  again.

                  -----------------------------------

                  I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
                  made a right awful mess... I resorted to a squirtbottle set on mist...
                  it didn;t work well either, obviously not enough oomph to the dye and
                  heat to set it, most of it washed out... instead of rich dark blue, it
                  was pale sky blue.

                  -Takeda
                • marteenvanrosenveldt
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                    Tessen and the Yoshitsune legend. Reference is here:

                    http://books.google.com/books?id=ZFf9e0DmHZUC&pg=PA302&lpg=PA302&dq=yoshitsune+benkei+tessen&source=bl&ots=rYGdELqmVf&sig=T_BM7z_-IE4EKRsvgHwCPJ5HPF0&hl=en&ei=bWxLS6ffG4-isgO20rT1Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBQQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=yoshitsune%20benkei%20tessen&f=false

                    Unsourced on the page and I don't have my copy of Secrets of the Samurai at work.

                    Benkei did become his loyal side-kick so maybe it's true. Or maybe it's like the ending of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

                    Marten

                  • sigrune@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                      Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.

                      While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
                      do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

                      -Takeda

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                        On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:06 AM, JL Badgley wrote:

                        > I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.
                        >
                        > Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
                        > shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

                        I rank this right up there with all those other massively bogus claims
                        of antiquity and connections to famous dead people that so many
                        martial arts have.

                        Effingham
                      • Anthony Bryant
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                          On Jan 11, 2010, at 1:38 PM, sigrune@... wrote:

                          > Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.
                          >
                          > While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
                          > do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

                          The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                          table leg.
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:
                            > I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
                            > made a right awful mess...

                            Well, mine isn't perfect either. It helps to have a big enough pot to allow you to put the fabric in more or less straight, and a drip bucket to transfer it to wherever you're going to take it to hang dry.

                            Dark colors frequently require a higher ratio of dye to water. The type of dye and how it reacts to the type of fiber can also affect results as we discovered while playing around with silk dyes and trying them on both silk and linen. We got purple on both, but completely different shades and saturation.

                            I like the Jacquard acid dyes for silk because the most exotic additive required for the process is white cider vinegar.

                          • sigrune@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                              Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)

                              Had it with salt and vinagar and hot hot hot... can;t remember how
                              many packs I used, but it was about 4 times the dye to water that was
                              listed (wanted a nice dark portion)

                              The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                              deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white... not so spiff in
                              execution (especially when I wound up splashing.... :sigh: well at
                              elast it is bale enough to try again some day.... If I can find the
                              darn thing

                              -Takeda

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

                                > Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)
                                Rit claims to dye everything. However, "everything" that the average consumer is likely to want to dye these days tends to be cotton. Some folks say they've gotten good results with it, for what it's worth.

                                > The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                                > deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white...

                                Actually, all you need to get the dip-dye effect on silk (which is very happy to take dye at any saturation) is to put the fabric in as far as you want before you get to the area you want to reserve as white and then start pulling it back out of the dye bath gradually.

                                For other fibers, you might need to prepare multiple containers at different strengths and add them to the dyepot as you gradually raise the fabric, as described here.
                                http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/ombre.html

                                Rit, unsurprisingly, suggests you overdye using multiple colors.
                                http://www.ritdye.com/Ombre_or_Shadow_Dyeing.37.lasso

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010

                                  Greetings from Solveig! "Secrets of the Samurai" is the only "source"
                                  for documenting "tessenjutsu" of which I am aware. This book is not a
                                  reliable source. "Tessenjutsu" does not appear as an entry in my
                                  large economy size J-J dictionary. As for "Secrets of the Samurai",
                                  it also claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by
                                  yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                    Baron Edward!

                                    Greetings from Solveig!
                                    > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                                    > table leg.
                                    I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                                    nesting material for mice.

                                  • Jeanel Walker
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                      "claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by

                                      yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense."

                                      I suppose that would depend on how bad there breath is
                                      mmmm. did i say that out loud?
                                      sorry domo domo
                                      I could not help myself
                                      Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                        On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                                        > Baron Edward!
                                        >
                                        > Greetings from Solveig!
                                        > > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                                        > > table leg.
                                        >
                                        > I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                                        > nesting material for mice.

                                        It is, indeed. Also, if one has parrots....

                                        Effingham
                                      • Brian Dean
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                          I have that book, and while some info is reliable in there,, some is total hogwash... some sections gave me a good laugh.

                                          Hirotora

                                          To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                          From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

                                          To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 12, 2010
                                            Oh My
                                               I suppose next you'll claim Tengu dont exist....
                                              Or teach swordsmanship....

                                                                                                                                   ;o)

                                            William S. Giltner

                                            Lrd Tatsuo Okami

                                            Iron River Armoury

                                            www.iron-river-armoury.com

                                          • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                                              That's nice!

                                              but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                                              In a message dated 1/10/2010 10:12:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                              wodeford@... writes:

                                              The green silk is courtesy of the generosity of Ii Saburou Katsumori and
                                              Abe Akirakeiko. The motif was inspired by a tsuba by Hayashi Matashichi that
                                              was part of the Lords of the Samurai exhibit at San Francisco's Asian Art
                                              Museum this summer.
                                              _http://www.miho.http://www.mhttp://www.mhttp://wwwhtt_
                                              (http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00003274e.htm)

                                              The white sayagata silk was purchased on eBay some time back and hand dyed
                                              at home with Jacquard Acid Dye #606 Deep Orange. The dye wicked somewhat
                                              unevenly during the drying process, so it's not perfect, but I'm still
                                              fairly pleased with the result.

                                              _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                              (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/)

                                              _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                              (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4261247335/)

                                              _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                              (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4236311898/)

                                              _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                              (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4204315971/)

                                              Please ignore the immodest lack of under kosode that was the result of a
                                              shiftless retainer having forgotten to pack it. Fortunately, these odd
                                              barbarians among whom I must travel did not know the difference.