Re:My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here

  • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
      Saionji-hime,
      Gorgeous! What stunning color! I'm convinced that fabric-dying is a
      science not inferior to neurosurgery. You and your co-horts are brave
      for striving for excellence using the expensive materials necessary and
      learning along the way.

      -Hosokawa Yukiko

      --------
      The white sayagata silk was purchased on eBay some time back and hand
      dyed at home with Jacquard Acid Dye #606 Deep Orange. The dye wicked
      somewhat unevenly during the drying process, so it's not perfect, but
      I'm still fairly pleased with the result.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/>
      --------
      Elizabeth Leonard | Graphic Designer
      CB Richard Ellis | Broker Lic. 00409987 | Marketing Services
      555 Capitol Mall, Suite 100 | Sacramento, CA 95814
      T 916 492 6935 | F 916 446 8750
      elizabeth.leonard@... <mailto:elizabeth.leonard@...> |
      www.cbre.com <http://www.cbre.com/>

    • marteenvanrosenveldt
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
        Nice work on the garb and dyeing job.

        BTW, there is a school (ryu) of using the tessen (or folding fan) as a weapon. This from - gasp! - Wikipedia:

        "Tessenjutsu(鉄扇術) is the martial art of the Japanese war fan, tessen. It is based on the use of the iron folding fan, which usually had eight or ten ribs. The use of the war fan in combat is mentioned in early Japanese legends. For example, Yoshitsune, a hero of Japanese legend, is said to have defeated an opponent named Benkei by parrying the blows of his opponent's spear with an iron fan. This use of the iron fan was taught to him by a mythological creature, a tengu, who also had instructed him in the art of swordsmanship.

        The practitioners of tessenjutsu could acquire a high level of skill. Some became so skilled, in fact, that they were able to defend themselves against an attacker wielding a sword, and even kill an opponent with a single blow. Like so many other Japanese arts of combat during this era, tessenjutsu reached a high level of sophistication. For example, a famous swordsman in the late 16th century, Ganryu, was able to defeat several enemies with an iron fan.

        Apart from using it in duels against enemies armed with swords and spears, the skilled wielder could also use it to fence and fend off knives and poisoned darts thrown at him.

        Tessenjutsu is still practiced by a few experts in Japan to this day."

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessenjutsu

        There is a scene in the movie The Loyal 47 Ronin where Ōishi Yoshio uses a tessen to ward off a series of attackers.

        Marten

        > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@> wrote:
        > > Did you make the fan also?
        >
        > I did not. That is the infamous "smackity fan," so named because it has an eerily weapon-like balance when folded. I suspect it may be a man's fan based on size and decoration. I acquired it from an eBay seller several years ago.
        >
        > Saionji no Hanae
        > West Kingdom

      • JL Badgley
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
          On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM, marteenvanrosenveldt
          <kenshifencer@...> wrote:
          > Nice work on the garb and dyeing job.
          >
          > BTW, there is a school (ryu) of using the tessen (or folding fan) as a weapon.  This from - gasp! - Wikipedia:
          >
          > "Tessenjutsu(鉄扇術) is the martial art of the Japanese war fan, tessen. It is based on the use of the iron folding fan, which usually had eight or ten ribs. The use of the war fan in combat is mentioned in early Japanese legends. For example, Yoshitsune, a hero of Japanese legend, is said to have defeated an opponent named Benkei by parrying the blows of his opponent's spear with an iron fan. This use of the iron fan was taught to him by a mythological creature, a tengu, who also had instructed him in the art of swordsmanship.

          I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.

          Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
          shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

          -Ii
        • Jeff's Hotmail
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
            That would be awesome. Do you guys know if there is any kind of instructions
            on how to build one of these fans. I have an idea to make one with titanium
            ribbing.

            Elrick Delion

            _____

            http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessenjutsu>

            --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com> .com,

          • sigrune@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
              -----Original Message-Edited for Brevity-----
              From: JL Badgley <tatsushu@...>

              >The use of the war fan in combat is mentioned in early Japanese
              legends.
              >For example, Yoshitsune, a hero of Japanese legend, is said to have
              defeated an
              >opponent named Benkei by parrying the blows of his opponent's spear
              with an iron fan.

              I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.

              Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
              shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

              I have heard or read that somewhere before... personally I feel it is a
              crock

              From the older accounts it was just a normal fan, not something iron;
              nor was it used to parry, it was just somethign Yoshitsune used in his
              acrobatic dance to frustrate Benkei, the dance was supposed to be a
              showcase of his skill and athleticisim... the focus being that even a
              court dance by the hero Yoshitsune was enough to fend off the attacks
              of (supposedly) Japan's best polearmsman of the time. Though not sure
              how leaps to posts, and running along the railings of a bridge and
              flips figured in court dance :)

              I have not seen an extant example of a pre Edo folding fan with iron
              ribs. And only period one extant example of a folding fan with thin
              iron (iron and gold inaly) on the outmost ribs... Since this was in the
              older style where the outer ribs did not cover the whole of the
              fan-paper, I would surmise the use of iron in this case was a
              decorative motif... IIRC it is circa 1560s. In all cases of
              tessenjitsu that have beleiveable historical accounts, it is Edo
              period, and stems from the use and training of the jitte, specifically
              strikes (swats) to the wrists/hands, arm-locks, and jabs to vulerable
              points... and not so much on the parries.

              -Takeda
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff's Hotmail" <elrickdelion@...> wrote:

                > That would be awesome. Do you guys know if there is any kind of instructions
                > on how to build one of these fans. I have an idea to make one with titanium
                > ribbing.

                (Sighs heavily.) Instructions on how to build a crappy sensu with inferior materials can be found here: http://www.wodefordhall.com/sensu.htm

                Saionji no Embarrassed
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento" <elizabeth.leonard@...> wrote:

                  > I'm convinced that fabric-dying is a
                  > science not inferior to neurosurgery.

                  Solid color dyeing with modern chemical dyes formulated for the type of fiber you're working with isn't as difficult as you'd think. It can even be done in a top loading washing machine as long as you're willing to keep an eye on it and periodically unwind your fabric from the agitator.

                  As I have to share the machine with other tenants and don't want to dye someone else's underwear inadvertently, I usually work on the stove top with a tamale pot big enough to bathe a toddler in. I did the dip dyeing on the orange kosode by folding everything over a sturdy coathanger, dipping it into the dye and gradually raising it back out again.

                  Saionji no Hanae
                  Apartment dweller
                • Aaron Grossman
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                    Ways to tell if you're trying too hard #273 -

                    My first thought was "I bet I could set up a block and tackle to a winch, in order to precisely measure the fade of my dye..." at which point I said "Bad engineer!" and returned to enjoying your garb pr0n.

                    Thank you,
                    Kawaguchi no Ryutaro
                    solver of problems that aren't

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                      -----Original Message- Edited for Brevity-----
                      From: wodeford <wodeford@...>

                      As I have to share the machine with other tenants and don't want to dye
                      someone else's underwear inadvertently, I usually work on the stove top
                      with a tamale pot big enough to bathe a toddler in. I did the dip
                      dyeing on the orange kosode by folding everything over a sturdy
                      coathanger, dipping it into the dye and gradually raising it back out
                      again.

                      -----------------------------------

                      I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
                      made a right awful mess... I resorted to a squirtbottle set on mist...
                      it didn;t work well either, obviously not enough oomph to the dye and
                      heat to set it, most of it washed out... instead of rich dark blue, it
                      was pale sky blue.

                      -Takeda
                    • marteenvanrosenveldt
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                        Tessen and the Yoshitsune legend. Reference is here:

                        http://books.google.com/books?id=ZFf9e0DmHZUC&pg=PA302&lpg=PA302&dq=yoshitsune+benkei+tessen&source=bl&ots=rYGdELqmVf&sig=T_BM7z_-IE4EKRsvgHwCPJ5HPF0&hl=en&ei=bWxLS6ffG4-isgO20rT1Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBQQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=yoshitsune%20benkei%20tessen&f=false

                        Unsourced on the page and I don't have my copy of Secrets of the Samurai at work.

                        Benkei did become his loyal side-kick so maybe it's true. Or maybe it's like the ending of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

                        Marten

                      • sigrune@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                          Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.

                          While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
                          do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

                          -Takeda

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                            On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:06 AM, JL Badgley wrote:

                            > I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.
                            >
                            > Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
                            > shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

                            I rank this right up there with all those other massively bogus claims
                            of antiquity and connections to famous dead people that so many
                            martial arts have.

                            Effingham
                          • Anthony Bryant
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                              On Jan 11, 2010, at 1:38 PM, sigrune@... wrote:

                              > Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.
                              >
                              > While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
                              > do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

                              The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                              table leg.
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:
                                > I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
                                > made a right awful mess...

                                Well, mine isn't perfect either. It helps to have a big enough pot to allow you to put the fabric in more or less straight, and a drip bucket to transfer it to wherever you're going to take it to hang dry.

                                Dark colors frequently require a higher ratio of dye to water. The type of dye and how it reacts to the type of fiber can also affect results as we discovered while playing around with silk dyes and trying them on both silk and linen. We got purple on both, but completely different shades and saturation.

                                I like the Jacquard acid dyes for silk because the most exotic additive required for the process is white cider vinegar.

                              • sigrune@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                  Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)

                                  Had it with salt and vinagar and hot hot hot... can;t remember how
                                  many packs I used, but it was about 4 times the dye to water that was
                                  listed (wanted a nice dark portion)

                                  The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                                  deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white... not so spiff in
                                  execution (especially when I wound up splashing.... :sigh: well at
                                  elast it is bale enough to try again some day.... If I can find the
                                  darn thing

                                  -Takeda

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

                                    > Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)
                                    Rit claims to dye everything. However, "everything" that the average consumer is likely to want to dye these days tends to be cotton. Some folks say they've gotten good results with it, for what it's worth.

                                    > The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                                    > deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white...

                                    Actually, all you need to get the dip-dye effect on silk (which is very happy to take dye at any saturation) is to put the fabric in as far as you want before you get to the area you want to reserve as white and then start pulling it back out of the dye bath gradually.

                                    For other fibers, you might need to prepare multiple containers at different strengths and add them to the dyepot as you gradually raise the fabric, as described here.
                                    http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/ombre.html

                                    Rit, unsurprisingly, suggests you overdye using multiple colors.
                                    http://www.ritdye.com/Ombre_or_Shadow_Dyeing.37.lasso

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010

                                      Greetings from Solveig! "Secrets of the Samurai" is the only "source"
                                      for documenting "tessenjutsu" of which I am aware. This book is not a
                                      reliable source. "Tessenjutsu" does not appear as an entry in my
                                      large economy size J-J dictionary. As for "Secrets of the Samurai",
                                      it also claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by
                                      yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                        Baron Edward!

                                        Greetings from Solveig!
                                        > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                                        > table leg.
                                        I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                                        nesting material for mice.

                                      • Jeanel Walker
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                          "claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by

                                          yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense."

                                          I suppose that would depend on how bad there breath is
                                          mmmm. did i say that out loud?
                                          sorry domo domo
                                          I could not help myself
                                          Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                            On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                                            > Baron Edward!
                                            >
                                            > Greetings from Solveig!
                                            > > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                                            > > table leg.
                                            >
                                            > I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                                            > nesting material for mice.

                                            It is, indeed. Also, if one has parrots....

                                            Effingham
                                          • Brian Dean
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                              I have that book, and while some info is reliable in there,, some is total hogwash... some sections gave me a good laugh.

                                              Hirotora

                                              To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                              From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

                                              To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 12, 2010
                                                Oh My
                                                   I suppose next you'll claim Tengu dont exist....
                                                  Or teach swordsmanship....

                                                                                                                                       ;o)

                                                William S. Giltner

                                                Lrd Tatsuo Okami

                                                Iron River Armoury

                                                www.iron-river-armoury.com

                                              • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                                                  That's nice!

                                                  but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                                                  In a message dated 1/10/2010 10:12:58 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                                  wodeford@... writes:

                                                  The green silk is courtesy of the generosity of Ii Saburou Katsumori and
                                                  Abe Akirakeiko. The motif was inspired by a tsuba by Hayashi Matashichi that
                                                  was part of the Lords of the Samurai exhibit at San Francisco's Asian Art
                                                  Museum this summer.
                                                  _http://www.miho.http://www.mhttp://www.mhttp://wwwhtt_
                                                  (http://www.miho.or.jp/booth/html/artcon/00003274e.htm)

                                                  _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                                  (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/)

                                                  _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                                  (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4261247335/)

                                                  _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                                  (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4236311898/)

                                                  _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_
                                                  (http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4204315971/)

                                                  Please ignore the immodest lack of under kosode that was the result of a
                                                  shiftless retainer having forgotten to pack it. Fortunately, these odd
                                                  barbarians among whom I must travel did not know the difference.