Re: [SCA-JML] My latest faux surihaku project can be seen here

  • Elaine Koogler
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 10, 2010
      That's lovely! You are doing incredible work, especially with the dying
      and printing!

      Kiri

      --
      "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
      is invisible to the eye."

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 10, 2010
        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@...> wrote:
        > Did you make the fan also?

        I did not. That is the infamous "smackity fan," so named because it has an eerily weapon-like balance when folded. I suspect it may be a man's fan based on size and decoration. I acquired it from an eBay seller several years ago.

      • Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
          Saionji-hime,
          Gorgeous! What stunning color! I'm convinced that fabric-dying is a
          science not inferior to neurosurgery. You and your co-horts are brave
          for striving for excellence using the expensive materials necessary and
          learning along the way.

          -Hosokawa Yukiko

          --------
          The white sayagata silk was purchased on eBay some time back and hand
          dyed at home with Jacquard Acid Dye #606 Deep Orange. The dye wicked
          somewhat unevenly during the drying process, so it's not perfect, but
          I'm still fairly pleased with the result.

          http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/
          <http://www.flickr.com/photos/70104978@N00/4262000508/>
          --------
          Elizabeth Leonard | Graphic Designer
          CB Richard Ellis | Broker Lic. 00409987 | Marketing Services
          555 Capitol Mall, Suite 100 | Sacramento, CA 95814
          T 916 492 6935 | F 916 446 8750
          elizabeth.leonard@... <mailto:elizabeth.leonard@...> |
          www.cbre.com <http://www.cbre.com/>

        • marteenvanrosenveldt
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
            Nice work on the garb and dyeing job.

            BTW, there is a school (ryu) of using the tessen (or folding fan) as a weapon. This from - gasp! - Wikipedia:

            "Tessenjutsu(鉄扇術) is the martial art of the Japanese war fan, tessen. It is based on the use of the iron folding fan, which usually had eight or ten ribs. The use of the war fan in combat is mentioned in early Japanese legends. For example, Yoshitsune, a hero of Japanese legend, is said to have defeated an opponent named Benkei by parrying the blows of his opponent's spear with an iron fan. This use of the iron fan was taught to him by a mythological creature, a tengu, who also had instructed him in the art of swordsmanship.

            The practitioners of tessenjutsu could acquire a high level of skill. Some became so skilled, in fact, that they were able to defend themselves against an attacker wielding a sword, and even kill an opponent with a single blow. Like so many other Japanese arts of combat during this era, tessenjutsu reached a high level of sophistication. For example, a famous swordsman in the late 16th century, Ganryu, was able to defeat several enemies with an iron fan.

            Apart from using it in duels against enemies armed with swords and spears, the skilled wielder could also use it to fence and fend off knives and poisoned darts thrown at him.

            Tessenjutsu is still practiced by a few experts in Japan to this day."

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessenjutsu

            There is a scene in the movie The Loyal 47 Ronin where Ōishi Yoshio uses a tessen to ward off a series of attackers.

            Marten

            > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Kobayashi <jhkob@> wrote:
            > > Did you make the fan also?
            >
            > I did not. That is the infamous "smackity fan," so named because it has an eerily weapon-like balance when folded. I suspect it may be a man's fan based on size and decoration. I acquired it from an eBay seller several years ago.
            >
            > Saionji no Hanae
            > West Kingdom

          • JL Badgley
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
              On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:58 PM, marteenvanrosenveldt
              <kenshifencer@...> wrote:
              > Nice work on the garb and dyeing job.
              >
              > BTW, there is a school (ryu) of using the tessen (or folding fan) as a weapon.  This from - gasp! - Wikipedia:
              >
              > "Tessenjutsu(鉄扇術) is the martial art of the Japanese war fan, tessen. It is based on the use of the iron folding fan, which usually had eight or ten ribs. The use of the war fan in combat is mentioned in early Japanese legends. For example, Yoshitsune, a hero of Japanese legend, is said to have defeated an opponent named Benkei by parrying the blows of his opponent's spear with an iron fan. This use of the iron fan was taught to him by a mythological creature, a tengu, who also had instructed him in the art of swordsmanship.

              I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.

              Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
              shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

              -Ii
            • Jeff's Hotmail
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                That would be awesome. Do you guys know if there is any kind of instructions
                on how to build one of these fans. I have an idea to make one with titanium
                ribbing.

                Elrick Delion

                _____

                http://en.wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tessenjutsu>

                --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups <mailto:sca-jml%40yahoogroups.com> .com,

              • sigrune@aol.com
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                  -----Original Message-Edited for Brevity-----
                  From: JL Badgley <tatsushu@...>

                  >The use of the war fan in combat is mentioned in early Japanese
                  legends.
                  >For example, Yoshitsune, a hero of Japanese legend, is said to have
                  defeated an
                  >opponent named Benkei by parrying the blows of his opponent's spear
                  with an iron fan.

                  I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.

                  Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
                  shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

                  I have heard or read that somewhere before... personally I feel it is a
                  crock

                  From the older accounts it was just a normal fan, not something iron;
                  nor was it used to parry, it was just somethign Yoshitsune used in his
                  acrobatic dance to frustrate Benkei, the dance was supposed to be a
                  showcase of his skill and athleticisim... the focus being that even a
                  court dance by the hero Yoshitsune was enough to fend off the attacks
                  of (supposedly) Japan's best polearmsman of the time. Though not sure
                  how leaps to posts, and running along the railings of a bridge and
                  flips figured in court dance :)

                  I have not seen an extant example of a pre Edo folding fan with iron
                  ribs. And only period one extant example of a folding fan with thin
                  iron (iron and gold inaly) on the outmost ribs... Since this was in the
                  older style where the outer ribs did not cover the whole of the
                  fan-paper, I would surmise the use of iron in this case was a
                  decorative motif... IIRC it is circa 1560s. In all cases of
                  tessenjitsu that have beleiveable historical accounts, it is Edo
                  period, and stems from the use and training of the jitte, specifically
                  strikes (swats) to the wrists/hands, arm-locks, and jabs to vulerable
                  points... and not so much on the parries.

                  -Takeda
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff's Hotmail" <elrickdelion@...> wrote:

                    > That would be awesome. Do you guys know if there is any kind of instructions
                    > on how to build one of these fans. I have an idea to make one with titanium
                    > ribbing.

                    (Sighs heavily.) Instructions on how to build a crappy sensu with inferior materials can be found here: http://www.wodefordhall.com/sensu.htm

                    Saionji no Embarrassed
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                      --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Leonard, Elizabeth A. @ Sacramento" <elizabeth.leonard@...> wrote:

                      > I'm convinced that fabric-dying is a
                      > science not inferior to neurosurgery.

                      Solid color dyeing with modern chemical dyes formulated for the type of fiber you're working with isn't as difficult as you'd think. It can even be done in a top loading washing machine as long as you're willing to keep an eye on it and periodically unwind your fabric from the agitator.

                      As I have to share the machine with other tenants and don't want to dye someone else's underwear inadvertently, I usually work on the stove top with a tamale pot big enough to bathe a toddler in. I did the dip dyeing on the orange kosode by folding everything over a sturdy coathanger, dipping it into the dye and gradually raising it back out again.

                      Saionji no Hanae
                      Apartment dweller
                    • Aaron Grossman
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                        Ways to tell if you're trying too hard #273 -

                        My first thought was "I bet I could set up a block and tackle to a winch, in order to precisely measure the fade of my dye..." at which point I said "Bad engineer!" and returned to enjoying your garb pr0n.

                        Thank you,
                        Kawaguchi no Ryutaro
                        solver of problems that aren't

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                          -----Original Message- Edited for Brevity-----
                          From: wodeford <wodeford@...>

                          As I have to share the machine with other tenants and don't want to dye
                          someone else's underwear inadvertently, I usually work on the stove top
                          with a tamale pot big enough to bathe a toddler in. I did the dip
                          dyeing on the orange kosode by folding everything over a sturdy
                          coathanger, dipping it into the dye and gradually raising it back out
                          again.

                          -----------------------------------

                          I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
                          made a right awful mess... I resorted to a squirtbottle set on mist...
                          it didn;t work well either, obviously not enough oomph to the dye and
                          heat to set it, most of it washed out... instead of rich dark blue, it
                          was pale sky blue.

                          -Takeda
                        • marteenvanrosenveldt
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                            Tessen and the Yoshitsune legend. Reference is here:

                            http://books.google.com/books?id=ZFf9e0DmHZUC&pg=PA302&lpg=PA302&dq=yoshitsune+benkei+tessen&source=bl&ots=rYGdELqmVf&sig=T_BM7z_-IE4EKRsvgHwCPJ5HPF0&hl=en&ei=bWxLS6ffG4-isgO20rT1Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBQQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=yoshitsune%20benkei%20tessen&f=false

                            Unsourced on the page and I don't have my copy of Secrets of the Samurai at work.

                            Benkei did become his loyal side-kick so maybe it's true. Or maybe it's like the ending of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

                            Marten

                          • sigrune@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                              Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.

                              While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
                              do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

                              -Takeda

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:06 AM, JL Badgley wrote:

                                > I'd never heard the tessen connected to the Yoshitsune legend.
                                >
                                > Most tessenjutsu I've seen utilizes a solid parrying device /in the
                                > shape of/ a closed fan. Not an iron ribbed fan.

                                I rank this right up there with all those other massively bogus claims
                                of antiquity and connections to famous dead people that so many
                                martial arts have.

                                Effingham
                              • Anthony Bryant
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                  On Jan 11, 2010, at 1:38 PM, sigrune@... wrote:

                                  > Ah, as I noted (or meant to) no reputable source.
                                  >
                                  > While Secrets of the Samurai is an enjoyable read, I (and many others)
                                  > do not consider Oscar Ratti's book a reliable source.

                                  The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                                  table leg.
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                    --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:
                                    > I tried that with a hitatare kamishimo combo, but had little luck and
                                    > made a right awful mess...

                                    Well, mine isn't perfect either. It helps to have a big enough pot to allow you to put the fabric in more or less straight, and a drip bucket to transfer it to wherever you're going to take it to hang dry.

                                    Dark colors frequently require a higher ratio of dye to water. The type of dye and how it reacts to the type of fiber can also affect results as we discovered while playing around with silk dyes and trying them on both silk and linen. We got purple on both, but completely different shades and saturation.

                                    I like the Jacquard acid dyes for silk because the most exotic additive required for the process is white cider vinegar.

                                  • sigrune@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                      Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)

                                      Had it with salt and vinagar and hot hot hot... can;t remember how
                                      many packs I used, but it was about 4 times the dye to water that was
                                      listed (wanted a nice dark portion)

                                      The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                                      deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white... not so spiff in
                                      execution (especially when I wound up splashing.... :sigh: well at
                                      elast it is bale enough to try again some day.... If I can find the
                                      darn thing

                                      -Takeda

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                        --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, sigrune@... wrote:

                                        > Yeah, I was using Ritt dye... (I know I know)
                                        Rit claims to dye everything. However, "everything" that the average consumer is likely to want to dye these days tends to be cotton. Some folks say they've gotten good results with it, for what it's worth.

                                        > The idea was to make it over strong and then weaken it as I dipped it
                                        > deeper each time to get a nice "fade" to white...

                                        Actually, all you need to get the dip-dye effect on silk (which is very happy to take dye at any saturation) is to put the fabric in as far as you want before you get to the area you want to reserve as white and then start pulling it back out of the dye bath gradually.

                                        For other fibers, you might need to prepare multiple containers at different strengths and add them to the dyepot as you gradually raise the fabric, as described here.
                                        http://www.dharmatrading.com/info/ombre.html

                                        Rit, unsurprisingly, suggests you overdye using multiple colors.
                                        http://www.ritdye.com/Ombre_or_Shadow_Dyeing.37.lasso

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010

                                          Greetings from Solveig! "Secrets of the Samurai" is the only "source"
                                          for documenting "tessenjutsu" of which I am aware. This book is not a
                                          reliable source. "Tessenjutsu" does not appear as an entry in my
                                          large economy size J-J dictionary. As for "Secrets of the Samurai",
                                          it also claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by
                                          yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                            Baron Edward!

                                            Greetings from Solveig!
                                            > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                                            > table leg.
                                            I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                                            nesting material for mice.

                                          • Jeanel Walker
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                              "claims that unarmed adepts can kill armed opponents simply by

                                              yelling at them. Stuff and nonsense."

                                              I suppose that would depend on how bad there breath is
                                              mmmm. did i say that out loud?
                                              sorry domo domo
                                              I could not help myself
                                              Jeanel Walker aka Eilionora "Takinaga" of Kisimull

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                                On Jan 11, 2010, at 11:08 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

                                                > Baron Edward!
                                                >
                                                > Greetings from Solveig!
                                                > > The book's most valuable aspect is its ability to prop up an uneven
                                                > > table leg.
                                                >
                                                > I believe that it's also reasonably good for starting fires and as
                                                > nesting material for mice.

                                                It is, indeed. Also, if one has parrots....

                                                Effingham
                                              • Brian Dean
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 11, 2010
                                                  I have that book, and while some info is reliable in there,, some is total hogwash... some sections gave me a good laugh.

                                                  Hirotora

                                                  To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                                  From: Solveig Throndardottir <nostrand@...>

                                                  To: sca-jml@yahoogroups.com

                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 12, 2010
                                                    Oh My
                                                       I suppose next you'll claim Tengu dont exist....
                                                      Or teach swordsmanship....

                                                                                                                                           ;o)

                                                    William S. Giltner

                                                    Lrd Tatsuo Okami

                                                    Iron River Armoury

                                                    www.iron-river-armoury.com

                                                  • sekinakagawa@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 15, 2010
                                                      That's nice!

                                                      but not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

                                                      _http://www.miho.http://www.mhttp://www.mhttp://wwwhtt_

                                                      _http://www.flickr.http://www.http://wwhttp://www.flic_