Re: [SCA-JML] Historic Toilets in Japan

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
      On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

      > 'Expert digs up the dirt on ancient toilets'
      > http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20091222a5.html
      >
      > "Kurosaki was first captivated by toilet archaeology when he excavated the late seventh century toilet remains at the Fujiwara Palace in Kashihara, Nara Prefecture, in 1992 while working at the Nara National Research Institute for Cultural Properties.
      >
      > From the fish bones, vegetable and fruit seeds and parasite eggs found in the soil, Kurosaki surmised that the people at that time must have had a varied diet."
      >
      > For more about the Fujiwara Palace toilet, I found:
      >
      > Matsui, A., Kanehara, M., and Kanehara, M. 2003. "Palaeoparasitology in Japan - Discovery of toilet features" _Mem. Inst. Oswaldo Cruz_ (98)1
      > http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0074-02762003000900019&script=sci_arttext
      >
      > Hope that information is useful for someone!

      Hyangsu-ssi,

      That paleoparasitological report is great; I found it some time ago,
      and its ideas regarding the vacating (no pun intended) of Nagaoka-kyo
      is something I can really get behind. Okay, and now I need to stop
      because scatological submeanings could quickly overtake just about
      anything I decided to attempt to write... ;)