Historic Toilets in Japan

  • Quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
      Hi all,

      Found this brief news article accidentally, and thought it might be useful for someone:

      'Expert digs up the dirt on ancient toilets'
      http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20091222a5.html

      "Kurosaki was first captivated by toilet archaeology when he excavated the late seventh century toilet remains at the Fujiwara Palace in Kashihara, Nara Prefecture, in 1992 while working at the Nara National Research Institute for Cultural Properties.

      From the fish bones, vegetable and fruit seeds and parasite eggs found in the soil, Kurosaki surmised that the people at that time must have had a varied diet."

      For more about the Fujiwara Palace toilet, I found:

      Matsui, A., Kanehara, M., and Kanehara, M. 2003. "Palaeoparasitology in Japan - Discovery of toilet features" _Mem. Inst. Oswaldo Cruz_ (98)1
      http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0074-02762003000900019&script=sci_arttext

      Hope that information is useful for someone!

      ~Hyangsu
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2010
        On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Quokkaqueen <quokkaqueen@...> wrote:

        > 'Expert digs up the dirt on ancient toilets'
        > http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20091222a5.html
        >
        > "Kurosaki was first captivated by toilet archaeology when he excavated the late seventh century toilet remains at the Fujiwara Palace in Kashihara, Nara Prefecture, in 1992 while working at the Nara National Research Institute for Cultural Properties.
        >
        > From the fish bones, vegetable and fruit seeds and parasite eggs found in the soil, Kurosaki surmised that the people at that time must have had a varied diet."
        >
        > For more about the Fujiwara Palace toilet, I found:
        >
        > Matsui, A., Kanehara, M., and Kanehara, M. 2003. "Palaeoparasitology in Japan - Discovery of toilet features" _Mem. Inst. Oswaldo Cruz_ (98)1
        > http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?pid=S0074-02762003000900019&script=sci_arttext
        >
        > Hope that information is useful for someone!

        Hyangsu-ssi,

        That paleoparasitological report is great; I found it some time ago,
        and its ideas regarding the vacating (no pun intended) of Nagaoka-kyo
        is something I can really get behind. Okay, and now I need to stop
        because scatological submeanings could quickly overtake just about
        anything I decided to attempt to write... ;)