Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Need japanese armor for scene in short film

  • Aaron Grossman
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009
       It takes rather longer to put

      together a kit of Japanese armor than it does to put together a kit

      of minimally legal SCA armor.With all due respect, Lady Solveig, if he's making costume pieces for a student short, and clearly isn't terribly worried about authenticity, he can make a pair of barrel-plastic dou laced with Xs and Train Tracks in under a week. Certainly, anyone here would cringe to see it on the field, or presented as work for consideration in an A&S event, but this is not his goal.
      Now, oh energetic OP, getting any level of fullness to the lacing will require quite a bit of dedication, as well as expense for a one-time prop; something that will pass the "student film 15-foot rule" would not be that hard. You will, I'd expect, have to give up the
      dream of having kabuto, but fighting bare-headed is a perfectly anime-geek thing to do, and I would not expect it to detract from your intended effect. Please see Master Effingham's page on Odoshi to get a feel for how to lace a dou: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.ch05.html
      Especially pay attention to the section on Sugake Odoshi.

      Unfortunately, I am in Boston, and my suit of hon kozane is far from finished, so offering anything more than ideas is out of my ability at present.
      Best of luck on your film,Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

    • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009

        > I would specifically recommend hitting up folks in Yamakaminari, as I
        > believe they are one of the largest groups up your way.

        You might have more succes with LARPers than SCA members, and they might
        have interesting weapons also. I have absolutely no knowledge of the LARP
        scene in your area though...

      • Captain Zorikh
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 13, 2010
          HI Folks. After all the advice I got from this and other message boards, I was unable to borrow more than a pair of helmets from Sir Tanaka (SCA) in NJ, so I got a plastic barrel, found some patterns at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html and http://www.yamakaminari.com/ and recruited help from SCAdians who wanted to build their own Japanese armor. We built a couple of very basic cuirasses with shoulders and with the helmets and judo gis, had exactly the effect we were going for in the movie.

          The guys who helped build the armor got to keep it when we were done.

          I'll be sure to let you know when we screen it.

          Thanks!

          Captain Zorikh
          http://www.captainzorikh.com
        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 13, 2010
            Great to hear! I wish we'd been able to help you more directly, but
            I'm glad you got stuff working :)

            -Ii