Re: [SCA-JML] Re: Need japanese armor for scene in short film

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 9, 2009
      On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:29 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
      > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Captain Zorikh" <zorikh@...> wrote:
      >> Now, is there anyone who can help me get some Japanese-looking armor for the scene?
      >
      > The reality is that the number of people portraying Japanese in the SCA world-wide is relatively small and most of us are not local to you.
      >
      > There are currently about 900 people listed as members of this list, but not all of them are active. There's a lot of overlap onto the Tousando forum, as you may have noticed. Not all of us are fighters, so that reduces the pool as well.
      >
      > If you have not tried contacting the local SCA groups in the East Kingdom directly, that's probably your next step.

      I would specifically recommend hitting up folks in Yamakaminari, as I
      believe they are one of the largest groups up your way. How far are
      you willing to travel to pick up and drop off any armor that someone
      might be willing to lend?

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009

        Greetings from Solveig! Most or at least Many of the Kaminari folk
        don't fight so don't have armor. The biggest contingents of Kaminari
        people are in Buffalo and Pittsburgh neither of which is exactly
        close to New York City. One more thing. It takes rather longer to put
        together a kit of Japanese armor than it does to put together a kit
        of minimally legal SCA armor.

      • Aaron Grossman
        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009
           It takes rather longer to put

          together a kit of Japanese armor than it does to put together a kit

          of minimally legal SCA armor.With all due respect, Lady Solveig, if he's making costume pieces for a student short, and clearly isn't terribly worried about authenticity, he can make a pair of barrel-plastic dou laced with Xs and Train Tracks in under a week. Certainly, anyone here would cringe to see it on the field, or presented as work for consideration in an A&S event, but this is not his goal.
          Now, oh energetic OP, getting any level of fullness to the lacing will require quite a bit of dedication, as well as expense for a one-time prop; something that will pass the "student film 15-foot rule" would not be that hard. You will, I'd expect, have to give up the
          dream of having kabuto, but fighting bare-headed is a perfectly anime-geek thing to do, and I would not expect it to detract from your intended effect. Please see Master Effingham's page on Odoshi to get a feel for how to lace a dou: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.ch05.html
          Especially pay attention to the section on Sugake Odoshi.

          Unfortunately, I am in Boston, and my suit of hon kozane is far from finished, so offering anything more than ideas is out of my ability at present.
          Best of luck on your film,Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

        • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009

            > I would specifically recommend hitting up folks in Yamakaminari, as I
            > believe they are one of the largest groups up your way.

            You might have more succes with LARPers than SCA members, and they might
            have interesting weapons also. I have absolutely no knowledge of the LARP
            scene in your area though...

          • Captain Zorikh
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 13, 2010
              HI Folks. After all the advice I got from this and other message boards, I was unable to borrow more than a pair of helmets from Sir Tanaka (SCA) in NJ, so I got a plastic barrel, found some patterns at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html and http://www.yamakaminari.com/ and recruited help from SCAdians who wanted to build their own Japanese armor. We built a couple of very basic cuirasses with shoulders and with the helmets and judo gis, had exactly the effect we were going for in the movie.

              The guys who helped build the armor got to keep it when we were done.

              I'll be sure to let you know when we screen it.

              Thanks!

              Captain Zorikh
              http://www.captainzorikh.com
            • JL Badgley
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 13, 2010
                Great to hear! I wish we'd been able to help you more directly, but
                I'm glad you got stuff working :)

                -Ii