Menpo for Heavy Fighting

  • Octavian Silvermoon
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2009
      So I'm looking to put together a kit for heavy fighting, and an wondering on
      what people have done for the Menpo (and the head overall actually) for
      looking historically accurate as well as meeting combat requirements.

      I'm thinking about trying to put together a steel/metal face piece for the
      mouth that comes off like what the armor piece would have been, but know
      that it will be really difficult to shape it properly.

      ~Octavian
    • Jeff's Hotmail
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 9, 2009
        There are some nice ones at Black Hydra Armories

        Elrick Delion

        長谷川 Hasegawa (long valley river) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean)

        _____

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 9, 2009
          My Kabuto is the cheapest helm out there, just "tweaked" a bit. Photos are at http://maredudd1066.livejournal.com/13187.html#cutid1
          in the "My New Armour" post. The base helm is an Ashcraft Baker Spangen Lift: http://www.ashcraftbaker.com/12g%20Spangen%20lift.htm
          I added Shikoro, Mabizashi and Menpo using patterns and information from Effingham's wonderful source-of-all-things-armour http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/index.html
          The menpo is simply lashed VERY tight to the grill of the cheap helmet. It was not too difficult to make, but watch for cracking at the joint of the "moustache/top lip" and nose as this area is both a right angle and the transition from some deep dishing back to simple curve.
          Hope this is useful.
          Maredudd
          ___

        • Jeff's Hotmail
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2009
            Ashcraft Baker has a Japanese retainer right now for $135.00. He is family
            of mine. He makes good quality stuff

            Elrick

            _____

            <http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/index.html> aimyo.com/katchu/index.html

          • sekinakagawa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 10, 2009
              Greetings,
              If you look in the Pictures section you will see a couple of pictures of
              my zunari before it was finish and the alteration to meet armor requirements.

              Humbly,
              -Sukeie

              To ask a question may be a moments' shame,
              But not to ask and remain ignorant, is a life long shame.

            • Nick starnes
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 10, 2009
                Doesanyone know of any Samurai persona Groups I could contact in Darkwater,Trimaris? I would be very greatful.

                Arigato,

                 Hasekure Maseshige;, Saburomono!