Re: [SCA-JML] Need japanese armor for scene in short film

  • Mori Michimori
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
      Solveig Throndardottir wrote:
      > Noble Cousin!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! Are you seeking SCA list-legal armor, kendo
      > armor, or museum replica armor?
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

      Noble cousin, at this point it sounds like anime-convention armor might
      suffice. :)

      Dôshu
      --
      Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
    • Captain Zorikh
      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
        Thanks for your enthusiastic response!

        I am looking for what will read on camera as Japanese armor (I really can't afford to be all that picky at this point).

        One of the guys is shorter than the other, and there is a line about "do you know how hard it is to get this in a 42 short?", so having armor that doesn't fit right would actually be OK.

        Whether we get good looking stuff or less good looking stuff, we will make it work. Throw in a line of dialogue, and just accept that the joke will be different depending on what kind of armor we have. I think the minimum I could get away with would be the Kabuto, the Do, and the Sode. The Kusa-zuri would be a bonus, and all else would be gravy (but good gravy).

        In response to everyone else, we are shooting this on a beach, and going all the way with evoking artsy Japanese movies with the filmmaking style, using long periods of stillness, some wooden flute music, small figures against a bleak background, etc. Until one guy looks at his digital watch, pulls down the mask on his helmet and says "what took you so long?"

        I like the idea of walking on the wooden sandles. I may try to work that in.

        Maybe we will throw in a line where the girl they are fighting over says "You know, Musashi and Kojiro didn't wear armor" right after they both collapse.

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 3, 2009
          --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Captain Zorikh" <zorikh@...> wrote:
          > One of the guys is shorter than the other, and there is a line about "do you know how hard it is to get this in a 42 short?", so having armor that doesn't fit right would actually be OK.

          The late Toshiro Mifune was an imposing 5'9, 160 pounds, and regarded as tall for his generation. A "42 short" is probably a lot closer to what would fit the average Japanese samurai than otherwise. Depending on what you end up putting your actors in, you might want to have the joke be about the taller guy having fit problems.

          Two sen worth,
        • shinomoto yoshinaga
          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 5, 2009
               yeah sure spoil everyone's fun with your facts and reality and stuff.

            Through the bitter and the sweet.

            The fray stands firm!

            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 5, 2009
              maybe you can get this guys armor?

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 9, 2009
                Thanks for everyone's input and opinions on the matter of this. Now, is there anyone who can help me get some Japanese-looking armor for the scene?

                The barest minimum we can get away with is the kabuto, the do, and the sode. If I can get the kusa-zuri as well, that would be great. All else would be gravy (but good gravy).

                Anyone? We really want to shoot the scene on Saturday morning, December 19th on a beach near Coney Island (we got a lovely spot all picked out, storyboarded, etc.).

                This is a very low-budget project, so we can;t afford a high rental fee, but we will spell your name right in the credits, give you a copy of the finished film, invite you to the screenings, and if you are there in person, we would feed you. We are even willing to travel a reasonable distance (a couple of hours from NYC) to pick it up and return it).

                Anyone? Or should I get a plastic barrel and work off of the patterns on the Yama Kaminari website?

                Ervald
                Message 7 of 22 , Dec 9, 2009
                  --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Captain Zorikh" <zorikh@...> wrote:
                  > Now, is there anyone who can help me get some Japanese-looking armor for the scene?

                  The reality is that the number of people portraying Japanese in the SCA world-wide is relatively small and most of us are not local to you.

                  There are currently about 900 people listed as members of this list, but not all of them are active. There's a lot of overlap onto the Tousando forum, as you may have noticed. Not all of us are fighters, so that reduces the pool as well.

                  If you have not tried contacting the local SCA groups in the East Kingdom directly, that's probably your next step.

                  Good hunting.

                • JL Badgley
                  Message 8 of 22 , Dec 9, 2009
                    On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:29 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
                    > --- In sca-jml@yahoogroups.com, "Captain Zorikh" <zorikh@...> wrote:
                    >> Now, is there anyone who can help me get some Japanese-looking armor for the scene?
                    >
                    > The reality is that the number of people portraying Japanese in the SCA world-wide is relatively small and most of us are not local to you.
                    >
                    > There are currently about 900 people listed as members of this list, but not all of them are active. There's a lot of overlap onto the Tousando forum, as you may have noticed. Not all of us are fighters, so that reduces the pool as well.
                    >
                    > If you have not tried contacting the local SCA groups in the East Kingdom directly, that's probably your next step.

                    I would specifically recommend hitting up folks in Yamakaminari, as I
                    believe they are one of the largest groups up your way. How far are
                    you willing to travel to pick up and drop off any armor that someone
                    might be willing to lend?

                    Message 9 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009

                      Greetings from Solveig! Most or at least Many of the Kaminari folk
                      don't fight so don't have armor. The biggest contingents of Kaminari
                      people are in Buffalo and Pittsburgh neither of which is exactly
                      close to New York City. One more thing. It takes rather longer to put
                      together a kit of Japanese armor than it does to put together a kit
                      of minimally legal SCA armor.

                    • Aaron Grossman
                      Message 10 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009
                         It takes rather longer to put

                        together a kit of Japanese armor than it does to put together a kit

                        of minimally legal SCA armor.With all due respect, Lady Solveig, if he's making costume pieces for a student short, and clearly isn't terribly worried about authenticity, he can make a pair of barrel-plastic dou laced with Xs and Train Tracks in under a week. Certainly, anyone here would cringe to see it on the field, or presented as work for consideration in an A&S event, but this is not his goal.
                        Now, oh energetic OP, getting any level of fullness to the lacing will require quite a bit of dedication, as well as expense for a one-time prop; something that will pass the "student film 15-foot rule" would not be that hard. You will, I'd expect, have to give up the
                        dream of having kabuto, but fighting bare-headed is a perfectly anime-geek thing to do, and I would not expect it to detract from your intended effect. Please see Master Effingham's page on Odoshi to get a feel for how to lace a dou: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.ch05.html
                        Especially pay attention to the section on Sugake Odoshi.

                        Unfortunately, I am in Boston, and my suit of hon kozane is far from finished, so offering anything more than ideas is out of my ability at present.
                        Best of luck on your film,Kawaguchi no Ryutaro

                      • Audrey Bergeron-Morin
                        Message 11 of 22 , Dec 10, 2009

                          > I would specifically recommend hitting up folks in Yamakaminari, as I
                          > believe they are one of the largest groups up your way.

                          You might have more succes with LARPers than SCA members, and they might
                          have interesting weapons also. I have absolutely no knowledge of the LARP
                          scene in your area though...

                        • Captain Zorikh
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 13, 2010
                            HI Folks. After all the advice I got from this and other message boards, I was unable to borrow more than a pair of helmets from Sir Tanaka (SCA) in NJ, so I got a plastic barrel, found some patterns at http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/katchu/katchu.html and http://www.yamakaminari.com/ and recruited help from SCAdians who wanted to build their own Japanese armor. We built a couple of very basic cuirasses with shoulders and with the helmets and judo gis, had exactly the effect we were going for in the movie.

                            The guys who helped build the armor got to keep it when we were done.

                            I'll be sure to let you know when we screen it.

                            Thanks!

                            Captain Zorikh
                            http://www.captainzorikh.com
                          • JL Badgley
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 13, 2010
                              Great to hear! I wish we'd been able to help you more directly, but
                              I'm glad you got stuff working :)

                              -Ii