Two questions, one regarding armour, another about SCA organization...

  • yuber_i
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
      Hello again!
      It has been some time since my last post (studying and working at the same time makes life too much interesting). If you don't mind, let me ask you my questions:

      - First of all, a friend of mine from Moscow wants to stablish an SCA group in Russia. I tried to contact the kingdom which covers Europe but they are not answering me. What could we do? (i'm not living in Russia nor i'm russian, it's just that my written english is better than my mate's).

      - Second, i recently got some really good pictures of a modern yukinoshita-do. When i saw them, i discovered that they used metal borders in order to cover the sharp borders of the metal plate. Take a look: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/Yuber_i/24.jpg
      Now, do you recognize what is it? i mean, if it's something i could buy somewhere, i could finish my do just by replacing the rivets and putting this things in the borders.

      Help you in advance!
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
        On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 6:16 PM, yuber_i <yuber_i@...> wrote:

        > - Second, i recently got some really good pictures of a modern yukinoshita-do. When i saw them, i discovered that they used metal borders in order to cover the sharp borders of the metal plate. Take a look: http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/Yuber_i/24.jpg
        > Now, do you recognize what is it? i mean, if it's something i could buy somewhere, i could finish my do just by replacing the rivets and putting this things in the borders.

        I think you mean the fukurin (the thin band of metal around the
        plates), is that correct? If so, you are talking about just a thin
        piece of metal, usually, from what I've seen, shaped around the plates
        and then riveted with really small rivets into place.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009

          Greetings from Solveig! The first thing anyone interested in starting
          a new SCA group should do is contact the Milpitas office and ask for
          a new group packet. You can find the Milpitas office directory at:
          http://www.sca.org/

          Russia is a huge place and is one of only three countries that
          touches three oceans. Drachenwald might not be the most appropriate
          home group for Russia. Depending upon the specific location of the
          Russian group, they might wind up joining the West Kingdom.

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
            On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Solveig Throndardottir
            <nostrand@...> wrote:
            > Noble Cousin!
            >
            > Greetings from Solveig! The first thing anyone interested in starting
            > a new SCA group should do is contact the Milpitas office and ask for
            > a new group packet. You can find the Milpitas office directory at:
            > http://www.sca.org/
            >
            > Russia is a huge place and is one of only three countries that
            > touches three oceans. Drachenwald might not be the most appropriate
            > home group for Russia. Depending upon the specific location of the
            > Russian group, they might wind up joining the West Kingdom.

            Considering that the persons in question are in Moscow, per the
            request, I would think that Moscow would probably be best served by
            Drachenwald.

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
              Ii dono!

              Greetings from Solveig! Oh I agree that Drachenwald is their obvious
              first choice, but going through the main office is always an option
              when you are starting a new group. They will probably want some of
              the stuff that the main office distributes anyway. Anyway, some of
              the first steps to forming a group are:

              1. Find at least five legal adults in your area who want to join the
              international organization.
              2. Find at least four legal adults who have different addresses to
              serve as officers.
              3. Pick the type of group you want to be. Moscow will probably choose
              "shire" which can be translated into Russian or another language.
              4. Pick a group name that has not already been used.
              5. Design group armory.

              During all of this you will be holding meetings. You should plan on
              sponsoring an event at least once every two years or whatever the
              current minimum event requirement is. Regardless, the new group will
              be filing various sorts of paperwork while all of this is going on.
              Bureaucracy! Bureaucracy! Uber Ales!

            • Edward Boreham
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
                Original email of this topic forwarded directly to our Drachenwald Kingdom Seneschal. There was contact with a Russian group several years ago which eventually failed with expressions of regret and goodwill on both sides as it was decided that at that time ther were some aspects of SCA culture as  enshrined in Corpora that were incompatible with the desires and expectations of that Russian group. If this new contact was confused with the previous group it may be that the same unresolveable conflicts caused someone to be tardy about replying - this is pure speculation.
                If it will help matters along, I can be used as a Drachenwald contact outside the "chain of command".
                Maredudd ap Gwylim

              • JL Badgley
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
                  On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Solveig Throndardottir
                  <nostrand@...> wrote:

                  > 2. Find at least four legal adults who have different addresses to
                  > serve as officers.

                  Only three officers are required, and at least two have to be at
                  different addresses, but that's it.

                  > 4. Pick a group name that has not already been used
                  > 5. Design group armory.

                  Both have to be passed through the CoA to exit incipient status.

                  > During all of this you will be holding meetings. You should plan on
                  > sponsoring an event at least once every two years or whatever the
                  > current minimum event requirement is. Regardless, the new group will
                  > be filing various sorts of paperwork while all of this is going on.
                  > Bureaucracy! Bureaucracy! Uber Ales!

                  I'm not aware of any actual event requirement--please cite any rules
                  you are quoting, because giving someone the wrong information can
                  really hurt group formation, and simpler is better. As I'm currently
                  part of a new group, we've looked over the rules on this rather
                  extensively.

                  That said, I do agree that starting a weekly practice (preferably
                  something public) and holding regular meetings is a good idea.
                  Contact me off-list for some more suggestions.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
                    Ii dono!

                    Greetings from Solveig! Thank you for posting a more accurate officer
                    count. My memory from being a shire officer was that four were
                    required at the time. But, these things change and my memory is far
                    less than perfect.

                    The business about requiring groups (other than those that are
                    allowed to go dormant) to hold events was a hot topic at the Society
                    level a few years ago. I'm not sure to what extent that made it into
                    the rules. I'm not on a BoD committee anymore, so this is also old
                    stuff. Regardless, holding events is supposed to be one of the
                    primary purposes of forming a local group.

                  • JL Badgley
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
                      On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Solveig Throndardottir
                      <nostrand@...> wrote:

                      > The business about requiring groups (other than those that are
                      > allowed to go dormant) to hold events was a hot topic at the Society
                      > level a few years ago. I'm not sure to what extent that made it into
                      > the rules. I'm not on a BoD committee anymore, so this is also old
                      > stuff. Regardless, holding events is supposed to be one of the
                      > primary purposes of forming a local group.

                      "Event" can be a loose term, however:

                      "The term “Society event” refers to tournaments, feasts, and other
                      activities whereby participants can display
                      the results of their researches into the culture and technology of the
                      period in an environment which evokes
                      the atmosphere of the pre-17th century European Middle Ages and
                      Renaissance. It also refers to educational
                      activities involving either one-time classes or ongoing Society
                      university organizations, and meetings where
                      participants share skills or discuss the business of the group. All
                      Society events must be sponsored by
                      branches of the Society, registered with the Seneschal of the
                      sponsoring branch, publicized at least to the
                      members of that branch, and conducted according to Society rules."

                      So business meetings and fighter practices count. You don't have to
                      have full blown tournaments, etc.

                      Starting a shire or canton overseas (non-US) is problematic enough
                      (most of the rules today seem to assume that you have another group
                      within easy reach that can support you with marshals, officers, etc.)

                      -Ii
                    • Mori Michimori
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
                        JL Badgley wrote:

                        > "Event" can be a loose term, however:
                        >
                        > "The term “Society event” refers to tournaments, feasts, and other
                        > activities whereby participants can display the results of their
                        > researches into the culture and technology of the period in an
                        > environment which evokes the atmosphere of the pre-17th century
                        > European Middle Ages and Renaissance. It also refers to educational
                        > activities involving either one-time classes or ongoing Society
                        > university organizations, and meetings where participants share
                        > skills or discuss the business of the group. All Society events must
                        > be sponsored by branches of the Society, registered with the
                        > Seneschal of the sponsoring branch, publicized at least to the
                        > members of that branch, and conducted according to Society rules."
                        >
                        > So business meetings and fighter practices count. You don't have to
                        > have full blown tournaments, etc.
                        >
                        > Starting a shire or canton overseas (non-US) is problematic enough
                        > (most of the rules today seem to assume that you have another group
                        > within easy reach that can support you with marshals, officers, etc.)
                        >

                        > -Ii

                        In my local Barony, we have one Baronial meeting a month in garb
                        (encouraged) where the Baron and Baroness hold court, one business
                        meeting where the Seneschale conducts purely bureaucratic business, and
                        two (or three) meetings where we just show up in modern clothes and do
                        whatever things in which we are most interested. At all meetings, the
                        sticky-pokey folk (rapier combat) have fighting practice. This seems to
                        be a viable model for almost any sized group at the Barony level or below.

                        A local college group, subordinate to the Barony, holds weekly meetings
                        on campus, with a different theme each week. Barony members are
                        encouraged to attend and contribute. Garb is NOT required, since many
                        students are commuters and would find having garb at hand a great
                        inconvenience. Twice a year they have a public meet-and-greet, to
                        encourage and promote new membership. This is also a viable option for
                        small groups with a fairly rapid turnover in membership.

                        Hope this provides some examples that will help the original poster.

                        Dôshu
                        --
                        Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
                      • Edward Boreham
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                          Just got a reply from His Grace Sven, the Drachenwald Seneschal - he did receive and replied to this contact about three weeks ago. He will check his "sent-box" for problems and try re-sending. Could the Russian end please check spam-filters etc? Now that we know there is a problem somewhere in the line we want to find out where the problem lies, both so that we can help these gentles, and so that such a situation does not arise again.
                          Maredudd/Moritoko

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                            Well, it was me the one who send him the mail, so his russian-end is actually a spaniard (?). There are no answers in the standard nor in the SPAM folder i'm afraid.

                            Hope that helps. Read you soon, tovarich...

                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 23, 2009
                              Ii dono!

                              Greetings from Solveig! The problem was that there were official
                              groups which were doing pretty much nothing at all. Personally, I do
                              not believe that business meetings should count. However, maybe A&S
                              meetings, fighter practices, &c. should count as long as they are
                              generally announced and available to all potential participants.
                              Having one "official event" every two years is not a lot to ask from
                              an official group. In the context of South Africa or Moscow, these
                              events can easily wind up with only locals attending. That is
                              perfectly ok as long as their existence is made known to the
                              affiliated kingdom at large.

                              I sympathize with the remoteness issue. That makes martial activities
                              difficult. This is usually solved by someone who is a warranted
                              marshal migrating in from the outside. You can contribute by getting
                              yourself warranted during one of your trips outside of Thailand.
                              Regardless, there are lots of non-martial activities available.
                              Again, if I recall correctly, an official event need not involve
                              warranted martial activities.

                              Incidentally, one feature of being around a long time is that I can
                              recall when the Society was smaller. There used to be loud
                              announcements at fighter practice to the effect that "this is not an
                              SCA event". This was because there was not a marshal present or some
                              other t wasn't crossed.