Re: Tori as a name...

  • Ciepher
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
      It's through talking to other people that I can avoid these sort of things - Sesame Street wasn't popular in my area (and in the UK in general, maybe) while I was growing up, so that never would have even came to mind...
      I just had to look it up! Apparently, in Japan they just call him Big Bird!

      So, are there any reasonable given names that contain 'tori'?

      Another name element I like is eight, hachi, since it does seem to be a lucky number for me. I think it's used today in female given names. Was it used in names in period, and in what form (hachi, hatsu, yachi, etc...)?

      - Victoria, who's more of a little bird, really.

      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009

        > O-tori? Wouldn't that be Big Bird?

        Nope. O-tori 小鳥 is little bird.
        OO-tori 大鳥 is big bird.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 14, 2009

          > Another name element I like is eight, hachi, since it does seem to
          > be a lucky number for me. I think it's used today in female given
          > names. Was it used in names in period, and in what form (hachi,
          > hatsu, yachi, etc...)?
          I'll take a look in Nihon Joseimei when I get back to my apartment.
          But, I'm not going to hold out a lot of hope as birth ordinal names
          are more of a guy thing.

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 14, 2009

            Greetings from Solveig! Apparently Sesame Street just celebrated
            forty years. Google had special home pages for a bout a week in both
            their USA and Japanese incarnations.

          • Ciepher
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 19, 2009
              Thank you very much!
              I don't have access to anything like that, so I'm relying on the internet and helpful people!
              I'm looking forward to what you find, thank you.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 19, 2009

                Greetings from Solveig! How about Tori'i 鳥井 ?? It is a real
                toponymic Japanese name.