Re: Tori as a name...

  • Ciepher
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
      > "Tori", meaning "bird", could be part of a name, (e.g. Kotori) but it
      > sounds doubtful as a name in and of itself. That said, to the
      > majority of people you would be known by your family name--I did find
      > a "Toriyama" as an historical surname.
      >
      > So, depending on where you want the "Tori" we have a few options.
      >

      > -Ii

      Thank you very much!

      So something like Torie or O-tori, then?

      A family name would be absolutely great instead - I've seen Torii as a family name, with the same kanji as the shrine gate, on Anthony Bryant's website.

      - Victoria
    • John Hidalgo
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
        O-tori? Wouldn't that be Big Bird?

        JH

        >> "Tori", meaning "bird", could be part of a name, (e.g. Kotori) but it
        >> sounds doubtful as a name in and of itself. That said, to the
        >> majority of people you would be known by your family name--I did find
        >> a "Toriyama" as an historical surname.
        >>
        >> So, depending on where you want the "Tori" we have a few options.
        >>

        >> -Ii
        >>

        > Thank you very much!
        >
        > So something like Torie or O-tori, then?
        >
        > A family name would be absolutely great instead - I've seen Torii as a
        > family name, with the same kanji as the shrine gate, on Anthony Bryant's
        > website.
        >
        > - Victoria
        >

        > Messages in this topic (3)

      • Shefferly, Charles
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
          Shame, shame on you JH

          (wishing that I thought of it :-))

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
            It's through talking to other people that I can avoid these sort of things - Sesame Street wasn't popular in my area (and in the UK in general, maybe) while I was growing up, so that never would have even came to mind...
            I just had to look it up! Apparently, in Japan they just call him Big Bird!

            So, are there any reasonable given names that contain 'tori'?

            Another name element I like is eight, hachi, since it does seem to be a lucky number for me. I think it's used today in female given names. Was it used in names in period, and in what form (hachi, hatsu, yachi, etc...)?

            - Victoria, who's more of a little bird, really.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009

              > O-tori? Wouldn't that be Big Bird?

              Nope. O-tori 小鳥 is little bird.
              OO-tori 大鳥 is big bird.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 14, 2009

                > Another name element I like is eight, hachi, since it does seem to
                > be a lucky number for me. I think it's used today in female given
                > names. Was it used in names in period, and in what form (hachi,
                > hatsu, yachi, etc...)?
                I'll take a look in Nihon Joseimei when I get back to my apartment.
                But, I'm not going to hold out a lot of hope as birth ordinal names
                are more of a guy thing.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 14, 2009

                  Greetings from Solveig! Apparently Sesame Street just celebrated
                  forty years. Google had special home pages for a bout a week in both
                  their USA and Japanese incarnations.

                • Ciepher
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 19, 2009
                    Thank you very much!
                    I don't have access to anything like that, so I'm relying on the internet and helpful people!
                    I'm looking forward to what you find, thank you.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 19, 2009

                      Greetings from Solveig! How about Tori'i 鳥井 ?? It is a real
                      toponymic Japanese name.