Re: [SCA-JML] Tori (鳥) as a name...

  • JL Badgley
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 11, 2009
      Welcome to SCA-JML!

      On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Ciepher <ciepher@...> wrote:

      > So, could Tori (鳥, bird), be a registerable Japanese female given name? I'm aiming for the Nanban period so I can sneak that Renaissance Europe in too...

      "Tori", meaning "bird", could be part of a name, (e.g. Kotori) but it
      sounds doubtful as a name in and of itself. That said, to the
      majority of people you would be known by your family name--I did find
      a "Toriyama" as an historical surname.

      So, depending on where you want the "Tori" we have a few options.

      -Ii
    • Ciepher
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
        > "Tori", meaning "bird", could be part of a name, (e.g. Kotori) but it
        > sounds doubtful as a name in and of itself. That said, to the
        > majority of people you would be known by your family name--I did find
        > a "Toriyama" as an historical surname.
        >
        > So, depending on where you want the "Tori" we have a few options.
        >

        > -Ii

        Thank you very much!

        So something like Torie or O-tori, then?

        A family name would be absolutely great instead - I've seen Torii as a family name, with the same kanji as the shrine gate, on Anthony Bryant's website.

        - Victoria
      • John Hidalgo
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
          O-tori? Wouldn't that be Big Bird?

          JH

          >> "Tori", meaning "bird", could be part of a name, (e.g. Kotori) but it
          >> sounds doubtful as a name in and of itself. That said, to the
          >> majority of people you would be known by your family name--I did find
          >> a "Toriyama" as an historical surname.
          >>
          >> So, depending on where you want the "Tori" we have a few options.
          >>

          >> -Ii
          >>

          > Thank you very much!
          >
          > So something like Torie or O-tori, then?
          >
          > A family name would be absolutely great instead - I've seen Torii as a
          > family name, with the same kanji as the shrine gate, on Anthony Bryant's
          > website.
          >
          > - Victoria
          >

          > Messages in this topic (3)

        • Shefferly, Charles
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
            Shame, shame on you JH

            (wishing that I thought of it :-))

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
              It's through talking to other people that I can avoid these sort of things - Sesame Street wasn't popular in my area (and in the UK in general, maybe) while I was growing up, so that never would have even came to mind...
              I just had to look it up! Apparently, in Japan they just call him Big Bird!

              So, are there any reasonable given names that contain 'tori'?

              Another name element I like is eight, hachi, since it does seem to be a lucky number for me. I think it's used today in female given names. Was it used in names in period, and in what form (hachi, hatsu, yachi, etc...)?

              - Victoria, who's more of a little bird, really.

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009

                > O-tori? Wouldn't that be Big Bird?

                Nope. O-tori 小鳥 is little bird.
                OO-tori 大鳥 is big bird.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 14, 2009

                  > Another name element I like is eight, hachi, since it does seem to
                  > be a lucky number for me. I think it's used today in female given
                  > names. Was it used in names in period, and in what form (hachi,
                  > hatsu, yachi, etc...)?
                  I'll take a look in Nihon Joseimei when I get back to my apartment.
                  But, I'm not going to hold out a lot of hope as birth ordinal names
                  are more of a guy thing.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 14, 2009

                    Greetings from Solveig! Apparently Sesame Street just celebrated
                    forty years. Google had special home pages for a bout a week in both
                    their USA and Japanese incarnations.

                  • Ciepher
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 19, 2009
                      Thank you very much!
                      I don't have access to anything like that, so I'm relying on the internet and helpful people!
                      I'm looking forward to what you find, thank you.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 19, 2009

                        Greetings from Solveig! How about Tori'i 鳥井 ?? It is a real
                        toponymic Japanese name.