Tori (鳥) as a name...

  • Ciepher
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 11, 2009
      Greetings everyone,

      This will be the generic newbie name question.
      I am a relative newcomer to the SCA, and since Japanese culture and history has been a strong interest for me for a long time - I'm even learning to speak it and planning to teach English there one day - a Japanese persona makes sense. I do have an interest in Renaissance Europe too... but I think I'd always feel I'd missed out if I didn't make the most of the culture and history I already know and love.
      While discussing names, my heavy combat mentor advised me to try finding out if the nickname I usually go by, Tori, could be used in period. And he didn't even know that I was that serious about being Nihonjin.

      So, could Tori (鳥, bird), be a registerable Japanese female given name? I'm aiming for the Nanban period so I can sneak that Renaissance Europe in too...

      - VicTORIa, not even thinking about surnames yet.
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 11, 2009
        Welcome to SCA-JML!

        On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM, Ciepher <ciepher@...> wrote:

        > So, could Tori (鳥, bird), be a registerable Japanese female given name? I'm aiming for the Nanban period so I can sneak that Renaissance Europe in too...

        "Tori", meaning "bird", could be part of a name, (e.g. Kotori) but it
        sounds doubtful as a name in and of itself. That said, to the
        majority of people you would be known by your family name--I did find
        a "Toriyama" as an historical surname.

        So, depending on where you want the "Tori" we have a few options.

        -Ii
      • Ciepher
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
          > "Tori", meaning "bird", could be part of a name, (e.g. Kotori) but it
          > sounds doubtful as a name in and of itself. That said, to the
          > majority of people you would be known by your family name--I did find
          > a "Toriyama" as an historical surname.
          >
          > So, depending on where you want the "Tori" we have a few options.
          >

          > -Ii

          Thank you very much!

          So something like Torie or O-tori, then?

          A family name would be absolutely great instead - I've seen Torii as a family name, with the same kanji as the shrine gate, on Anthony Bryant's website.

          - Victoria
        • John Hidalgo
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
            O-tori? Wouldn't that be Big Bird?

            JH

            >> "Tori", meaning "bird", could be part of a name, (e.g. Kotori) but it
            >> sounds doubtful as a name in and of itself. That said, to the
            >> majority of people you would be known by your family name--I did find
            >> a "Toriyama" as an historical surname.
            >>
            >> So, depending on where you want the "Tori" we have a few options.
            >>

            >> -Ii
            >>

            > Thank you very much!
            >
            > So something like Torie or O-tori, then?
            >
            > A family name would be absolutely great instead - I've seen Torii as a
            > family name, with the same kanji as the shrine gate, on Anthony Bryant's
            > website.
            >
            > - Victoria
            >

            > Messages in this topic (3)

          • Shefferly, Charles
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
              Shame, shame on you JH

              (wishing that I thought of it :-))

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
                It's through talking to other people that I can avoid these sort of things - Sesame Street wasn't popular in my area (and in the UK in general, maybe) while I was growing up, so that never would have even came to mind...
                I just had to look it up! Apparently, in Japan they just call him Big Bird!

                So, are there any reasonable given names that contain 'tori'?

                Another name element I like is eight, hachi, since it does seem to be a lucky number for me. I think it's used today in female given names. Was it used in names in period, and in what form (hachi, hatsu, yachi, etc...)?

                - Victoria, who's more of a little bird, really.

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009

                  > O-tori? Wouldn't that be Big Bird?

                  Nope. O-tori 小鳥 is little bird.
                  OO-tori 大鳥 is big bird.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 14, 2009

                    > Another name element I like is eight, hachi, since it does seem to
                    > be a lucky number for me. I think it's used today in female given
                    > names. Was it used in names in period, and in what form (hachi,
                    > hatsu, yachi, etc...)?
                    I'll take a look in Nihon Joseimei when I get back to my apartment.
                    But, I'm not going to hold out a lot of hope as birth ordinal names
                    are more of a guy thing.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 14, 2009
                      Noble Cousin!

                      Greetings from Solveig! Apparently Sesame Street just celebrated
                      forty years. Google had special home pages for a bout a week in both
                      their USA and Japanese incarnations.

                    • Ciepher
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 19, 2009
                        Thank you very much!
                        I don't have access to anything like that, so I'm relying on the internet and helpful people!
                        I'm looking forward to what you find, thank you.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 19, 2009
                          Noble Cousin!

                          Greetings from Solveig! How about Tori'i 鳥井 ?? It is a real
                          toponymic Japanese name.