Re: [SCA-JML] Armor Lacing

  • Aaron Grossman
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
      If you're willing to work with synthetics, you can buy bulk shoelaces online. Best of all, they already have aglets, which makes lacing a breeze.

      The site I used, as recommended by the ever-so-helpful Baron Edward on the Odoshi page of Sengoku Daimyo is http://www.lacesforless.com/

      Beware: few things are more entertaining than a box of loose shoelaces for those small, fuzzy domovoi that many call "cats"

      Ryuta

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
        i used paracord.

        550 paracord.

        pull the inner strands out if you want it flat.
        leave it with strands for the tough stuff.

        ebay .
        lots of colors.
        lots.
      • John Lyon
        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 3, 2009
          I've had fantastic luck with just the Shoelaces from Shoelacesforless. I was
          able to buy large amounts, of long laces. My Do is made of the Effingham
          Kozane, so LOTS of lacing. I'm a big guy, and I think I ended up spending
          $100-150 on shoe laces. They were great because they were nylon and I could
          fuse the ends as I worked which was a great help. Having Nubs was also very
          helpful for the lacing process. If your armor is going to be made of
          plastic, the Shoelaces are going to be plenty tough for your application. If
          your Do is going to be made of steel, you might just be SOL. My first set
          was a sparse-laced 16G steel set. I used hockey lacing. Steel cut through
          them quickly, and anything else I tried to use to replace it. With the
          plastic I've been fighting for years and the only problem is that the lacing
          has gotten stained from sweat and dirt. When you order from Lacesforless,
          they will ask if you want it bundled or loose, get bundled. Then they tie
          them together in pairs for you. If you get it loose then you just get this
          big box of loose strings. Less fun than you might imagine, especially if you
          are doing a lot of lacing.

          --
          "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
          things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I

          John Lyon
          aka The Ugly Dragon
          aka Kita Jiru Toramassa