Armor Lacing

  • Bryant Richards
    Message 1 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
      Question: Does anyone have a good source that sells lacing in bulk for lacing up armor? Something with different color options maybe. I tried the Lamellar armor site and they seem to be MIA (clicking on most of the links gives a CGI excceded error) any other ideas? I ask for bulks cause I am looking to buy enough to lace up about 6 sets of armor.

      In Honor and Service,
      Uesugi no Ryujuichiro Uchiyasu
      House Chiburi

    • Charles Dodge
      Message 2 of 28 , Nov 1, 2009
        Uesugi

        Well I was going to send you to www.ricebraid.com but it seems the site is down. If you do a google search for ELC Rice Braid and click the cached link you can get an idea of what they had. Their sister site www.shopelc.com is still up but that is mostly military related braids.

        On an off chance you could look up their contact info from the shopelc site and try calling them. They sell in 144yd rolls.

        Nakos

        Message 3 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
          If you're willing to work with synthetics, you can buy bulk shoelaces online. Best of all, they already have aglets, which makes lacing a breeze.

          The site I used, as recommended by the ever-so-helpful Baron Edward on the Odoshi page of Sengoku Daimyo is http://www.lacesforless.com/

          Beware: few things are more entertaining than a box of loose shoelaces for those small, fuzzy domovoi that many call "cats"

          Ryuta

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 28 , Nov 2, 2009
            i used paracord.

            550 paracord.

            pull the inner strands out if you want it flat.
            leave it with strands for the tough stuff.

            ebay .
            lots of colors.
            lots.
          • John Lyon
            Message 5 of 28 , Nov 3, 2009
              I've had fantastic luck with just the Shoelaces from Shoelacesforless. I was
              able to buy large amounts, of long laces. My Do is made of the Effingham
              Kozane, so LOTS of lacing. I'm a big guy, and I think I ended up spending
              $100-150 on shoe laces. They were great because they were nylon and I could
              fuse the ends as I worked which was a great help. Having Nubs was also very
              helpful for the lacing process. If your armor is going to be made of
              plastic, the Shoelaces are going to be plenty tough for your application. If
              your Do is going to be made of steel, you might just be SOL. My first set
              was a sparse-laced 16G steel set. I used hockey lacing. Steel cut through
              them quickly, and anything else I tried to use to replace it. With the
              plastic I've been fighting for years and the only problem is that the lacing
              has gotten stained from sweat and dirt. When you order from Lacesforless,
              they will ask if you want it bundled or loose, get bundled. Then they tie
              them together in pairs for you. If you get it loose then you just get this
              big box of loose strings. Less fun than you might imagine, especially if you
              are doing a lot of lacing.

              --
              "You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
              things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I

              John Lyon
              aka The Ugly Dragon
              aka Kita Jiru Toramassa