Re: [SCA-JML] Elbow-long kote?

  • Anthony Bryant
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
      On Nov 2, 2009, at 12:12 AM, Al Jul wrote:

      > Hello! Thanks for your quick answer!
      >
      > I have a picture of a definitely armoured "short kote" here:
      >
      > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/Yuber_i/date-samurai-matsuri-female-bushido.jpg

      That's not a short kote. It's full length. The sleeves of the hitatare
      are being worn down, and tied up around the elbow.

      It's not as clear in this picture, but the same thing is happening on
      the right (only here, the guy is also wearing his armour under the
      hitatare).

      http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/hitatare_sugata.jpg

      > For the other one (the tube-like, as you called it), i had only seen
      > it in manga and the like until i saw this picture:
      >
      > http://www.wodefordhall.com/d%c3%b4buku.jpg
      >
      > Then i began wondering if they were real thing after all. But maybe
      > you are true and they were not armoured at all, although every time
      > i saw them they looked rigid, as if made of steel.

      No, those are tekko -- just fabric half-sleeves worn for a bit of
      warmth.

      They *did* have half kote, though (called "han-gote" -- but for the
      love of God, do not do a Google image search on the term!). I thought
      I had a picture of a set on the "kote" page in my manual, but it seems
      I don't. I know there's a picture of them in my first book, however.

      I'll try to dig up an image and put it on the web and send a link along.

      Essentially, there is no set "style" for han-gote -- they are any
      existing kote style, but they just come up to the fore-arm, and are
      tied around the forearm just above the meaty bit (around the elbow
      area) to hold them up, the same way they are tied around the wrist.

      Effingham
    • Anthony Bryant
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
        There's an image here: