Re: [SCA-JML] Elbow-long kote?

  • Al Jul
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1 9:12 PM
      Hello! Thanks for your quick answer!

      I have a picture of a definitely armoured "short kote" here:

      http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/Yuber_i/date-samurai-matsuri-female-bushido.jpg

      For the other one (the tube-like, as you called it), i had only seen it in manga and the like until i saw  this picture:

      http://www.wodefordhall.com/d%c3%b4buku.jpg

      Then i began wondering if they were real thing after all. But maybe you are true and they were not armoured at all, although every time i saw them they looked rigid, as if made of steel.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1 9:53 PM
        On Nov 2, 2009, at 12:12 AM, Al Jul wrote:

        > Hello! Thanks for your quick answer!
        >
        > I have a picture of a definitely armoured "short kote" here:
        >
        > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/Yuber_i/date-samurai-matsuri-female-bushido.jpg

        That's not a short kote. It's full length. The sleeves of the hitatare
        are being worn down, and tied up around the elbow.

        It's not as clear in this picture, but the same thing is happening on
        the right (only here, the guy is also wearing his armour under the
        hitatare).

        http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/hitatare_sugata.jpg

        > For the other one (the tube-like, as you called it), i had only seen
        > it in manga and the like until i saw this picture:
        >
        > http://www.wodefordhall.com/d%c3%b4buku.jpg
        >
        > Then i began wondering if they were real thing after all. But maybe
        > you are true and they were not armoured at all, although every time
        > i saw them they looked rigid, as if made of steel.

        No, those are tekko -- just fabric half-sleeves worn for a bit of
        warmth.

        They *did* have half kote, though (called "han-gote" -- but for the
        love of God, do not do a Google image search on the term!). I thought
        I had a picture of a set on the "kote" page in my manual, but it seems
        I don't. I know there's a picture of them in my first book, however.

        I'll try to dig up an image and put it on the web and send a link along.

        Essentially, there is no set "style" for han-gote -- they are any
        existing kote style, but they just come up to the fore-arm, and are
        tied around the forearm just above the meaty bit (around the elbow
        area) to hold them up, the same way they are tied around the wrist.

        Effingham
      • Anthony Bryant
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1 9:59 PM
          There's an image here: