Elbow-long kote?

  • yuber_i
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
      Hello again! While looking for instructions about how to make a pair of kote i ran over a few pictures depicting kote which covered only the hand and forearm. I had seen something similar on tv shows, with samurai in everyday wear with only these small protections on. So my question is, are this fency 2oth-century inventions, or did they really exist? and, if so, has anyone got the patterns for them?

      Thank you in advance,
      Albert Julbe, AKA Yuber Okami
    • JL Badgley
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
        On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:06 AM, yuber_i <yuber_i@...> wrote:

        > Hello again! While looking for instructions about how to make a pair of kote i ran over a few pictures depicting kote which covered only the hand and forearm. I had seen something similar on tv shows, with samurai in everyday wear with only these small protections on. So my question is, are this fency 2oth-century inventions, or did they really exist? and, if so, has anyone got the patterns for them?

        Do you have pictures?

        I think you are talking about the sleeve-coverings--like tubes that go
        over the ends of sleeves. Those seem to be popular with people who
        travel or do manual labor, probably to keep their garments from
        getting too dirty. I'm trying to think if I've seen those armored, or
        not. Or do you mean a full sleeve that only has armor over the hand
        and forearm?

        -Ii
      • Al Jul
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
          Hello! Thanks for your quick answer!

          I have a picture of a definitely armoured "short kote" here:

          http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/Yuber_i/date-samurai-matsuri-female-bushido.jpg

          For the other one (the tube-like, as you called it), i had only seen it in manga and the like until i saw  this picture:

          http://www.wodefordhall.com/d%c3%b4buku.jpg

          Then i began wondering if they were real thing after all. But maybe you are true and they were not armoured at all, although every time i saw them they looked rigid, as if made of steel.

          > Hello again! While looking for instructions about how to make a pair of kote i ran over a few pictures depicting kote which covered only the hand and forearm. I had seen something similar on tv shows, with samurai in everyday wear with only these small protections on. So my question is, are this fency 2oth-century inventions, or did they really exist? and, if so, has anyone got the patterns for them?

          Do you have pictures?

          I think you are talking about the sleeve-coverings- -like tubes that go
          over the ends of sleeves. Those seem to be popular with people who
          travel or do manual labor, probably to keep their garments from
          getting too dirty. I'm trying to think if I've seen those armored, or
          not. Or do you mean a full sleeve that only has armor over the hand
          and forearm?

        • Anthony Bryant
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
            On Nov 2, 2009, at 12:12 AM, Al Jul wrote:

            > Hello! Thanks for your quick answer!
            >
            > I have a picture of a definitely armoured "short kote" here:
            >
            > http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c299/Yuber_i/date-samurai-matsuri-female-bushido.jpg

            That's not a short kote. It's full length. The sleeves of the hitatare
            are being worn down, and tied up around the elbow.

            It's not as clear in this picture, but the same thing is happening on
            the right (only here, the guy is also wearing his armour under the
            hitatare).

            http://www.sengokudaimyo.com/garb/graphics/garbphotos/hitatare_sugata.jpg

            > For the other one (the tube-like, as you called it), i had only seen
            > it in manga and the like until i saw this picture:
            >
            > http://www.wodefordhall.com/d%c3%b4buku.jpg
            >
            > Then i began wondering if they were real thing after all. But maybe
            > you are true and they were not armoured at all, although every time
            > i saw them they looked rigid, as if made of steel.

            No, those are tekko -- just fabric half-sleeves worn for a bit of
            warmth.

            They *did* have half kote, though (called "han-gote" -- but for the
            love of God, do not do a Google image search on the term!). I thought
            I had a picture of a set on the "kote" page in my manual, but it seems
            I don't. I know there's a picture of them in my first book, however.

            I'll try to dig up an image and put it on the web and send a link along.

            Essentially, there is no set "style" for han-gote -- they are any
            existing kote style, but they just come up to the fore-arm, and are
            tied around the forearm just above the meaty bit (around the elbow
            area) to hold them up, the same way they are tied around the wrist.

            Effingham
          • Anthony Bryant
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2009
              There's an image here: