Playing the Name Game

  • luannesews2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 29, 2009
      Last weekend at our baronial anniversary, I sat down to talk with a herald about documentation issues (trying to be proactive here) with the Japanese name I want to start using. She got our Solveig's "modest pamphlet" and did some looking with me and before I knew it, we were filling out forms and I was handing over a check. If all goes well, some time next summer I can stop being "that Japanese lady with the impossible Irish name."

      Luighseach, hopefuully soon to be Fujioka Tora
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 29, 2009

        > Last weekend at our baronial anniversary, I sat down to talk with a
        > herald about documentation issues (trying to be proactive here)
        > with the Japanese name I want to start using. She got our
        > Solveig's "modest pamphlet" and did some looking with me and before
        > I knew it, we were filling out forms and I was handing over a
        > check. If all goes well, some time next summer I can stop being
        > "that Japanese lady with the impossible Irish name."
        I do hope that you folks didn't check the boxes which prevent the
        College of Arms from fixing errors. Basically, your personal name
        doesn't have a name ending suffix and is written using one kanji.
        This is somewhat risky and may not make it through the College of
        Arms. If you are allowing changes, then they can stick a suffix on
        the end. Basically, you are likely to have a suffix stuck on the end
        of the given name which does not significantly affect the meaning. I
        hope that you made a note on the form concerning your period of
        interest as Japanese feminine names evolved over time. Back when the
        pamphlet was originally written, the College of Arms was ignoring
        temporal compatibility. These days, it is attempting to enforce
        temporal compatibility. <Prefix>+<theme> names appear to be an
        artifact of the Edo period or possibly the very late Muromachi period.

        On a note about my pamphlet. Everyone should understand that my own
        understanding of things continues to evolve. Every once in a while I
        manage to come out with revisions and fixes and stuff. Sometime in
        the indefinite future, I hope to get out an edition which does a
        better job of treating female names and religious names.

      • the.lady.phoenix@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 29, 2009
          Lucky!

          When I tried to do that it was the one resource they didn't bring to
          the big nearly 1000 people interkingdom event where the king and queen
          held court.

          Sara

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 30, 2009

            We had the second edition of NCMJ.

            No, I didn't check the "Don't even think about changing ANYTHING" box.

            My time period of interest is mid to late 16th century, which is when "Tora" is listed as a woman's given name. What kind of a suffix do you think it might need?

            In case I haven't ever said it, THANK YOU very much for all your work in creating and updating your "modest pamphlet."