Basic Feast Outline

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2009

      Again, thank you to everyone who is helping me out with ideas about
      feast planning. Here is the basic structure of the feast itself:

      1. 甘酒 Amazake - Sweet sake (Non-Alcoholic. More technically, below
      the legal minimum alcohol content) with dry snacks
      2. 飯器・汁替 Rice and Soup
      3. 煮物 Nimono - Simmered food
      4. 𤏐鍋 Kan'nabe - Stewed food
      5. 焼物 Yakimono - Broiled dish
      6. Seconds on Rice
      7. Special seasonal dishes
      8. 預鉢 - Azukebachi - Stomach closing dish
      9. 八寸 hassun - Small dish
      10. 湯桶・ 香 yu'oke and kou - Hot Water with Pickles

      If tea follows:

      11. 主菓子 - omogashi - main sweet
      12. 濃茶 - koicha - thick tea
      13. 干菓子 - higashi - dry sweet
      14. 薄茶 - usucha - thin tea

      Tea would add about an hour at the end of the banquet. It would also
      add to the cost.

      Regardless, I am looking for questions, comments, and suggestions.
      Yes, some of the dishes would be vegetarian even for the meat eaters.
      Yes, the alcohol content of the amazake would not exceed the alcohol
      content of soy sauce and other condiments.
      Yes, there would be at least one blatantly finny dish.
      Yes, I can justify sashimi if people are sufficiently interested. it
      would be part of one of the smaller dishes.

      On a more general note. How much culinary bravery are people willing
      to expend for a small one-shot event?

      Also, would people be interested in the kitchen work being taught as
      a size-limited all-afternoon class on Japanese food preparation?

    • Trish Bentley
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 21, 2009
        That looks absolutely delicious! I think the most important questions would be Where and When in my book. :)

        -Trish