Feast Question

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 19, 2009
      Noble Cousins!

      Greetings from Solveig! I am helping plan a Japanese feast
      tentatively scheduled for about May of next year. Here is a question
      for everyone:

      Presentation is an important part of Japanese cuisine. Thus, we are
      thinking about bundling basic Japanese feast ware of some sort into
      the on-Board cost. Here are the options:

      1. Everyone onboard gets a set of feast ware.
      2. Only an "above the salt" group gets a set of feast ware.
      3. Nobody gets a set of feast ware.

      Another interesting question is whether to make the feast ware for
      temple style (and this implies a vegetarian menu) dining or for elite
      style (and this implies your furry, feathery, and finny friends being
      on the menu) feast ware. Both are interesting.

      Another issue is of course seating. Traditionally, Japanese sit on
      the floor during banquets. To what extent should people sit at
      tables? I'm inclined to group those at tables as foreign guests and
      have them use their own feast ware.

      Anyway. I'm looking for suggestions.

      Thank you very much for your help.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 19, 2009
        About a year and a half ago, one of the baronies here in the West did a Japanese feast. Guests were told to bring six small bowls with them and turn them in at the kitchen. Courses were served using said bowls, bowls were returned to the kitchen for cleaning and then could be claimed at the end of the evening by their rightful owners.

        You can make this work if you have enough people to dish-monkey for you, but the end-of-evening retrieval line was still somewhat chaotic. I'm really glad I marked the bottoms of all my bowls.

      • Elaine Koogler
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 19, 2009
          We've done a number of Japanese/Far Eastern feasts. We set up low
          tables with on the floor seating for our feasters...with a couple of
          tables with chairs for those physically incapable of sitting on the
          floor. So far as feast gear is concerned, we let folks know that food
          will be served in a more Japanese style, but folks bring their own
          gear. I think we supplied chopsticks a couple of times. I suspect that
          you are not going to be able to afford to make dishes for everyone...and
          doing them just for high table might be resented by some. But YMMV.
          Personally, I wouldn't worry about it...unless you do give out
          inexpensive chopsticks!

          Kiri

          --
          "/It is only with the heart /that one can see clearly; what is essential
          is invisible to the eye."

        • JL Badgley
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 19, 2009
            On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 12:28 AM, wodeford <wodeford@...> wrote:
            > About a year and a half ago, one of the baronies here in the West did a Japanese feast. Guests were told to bring six small bowls with them and turn them in at the kitchen. Courses were served using said bowls, bowls were returned to the kitchen for cleaning and then could be claimed at the end of the evening by their rightful owners.
            >
            > You can make this work if you have enough people to dish-monkey for you, but the end-of-evening retrieval line was still somewhat chaotic. I'm really glad I marked the bottoms of all my bowls.

            That's what Mokurai-bozu and Mistress Anneliesse did for
            "Chrysanthemum and the Sword"; it worked because everyone marked their
            own bowls and the feast space was limited--there were about 30 people
            for the feast, which was about $25~$30/person, iirc. There was then a
            second feast of simpler fare for those who didn't want/couldn't afford
            that.

            That seemed to work well. It helps if you have enough people with
            Japanese feast gear who bring more than the minimum it can really
            help.

            They also worked up simple tables for the guests, who did sit on the
            floor. Depending on your audience or time period, that might be a bit
            much.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 19, 2009
              Ii dono!

              Greetings from Solveig!
              > That's what Mokurai-bozu and Mistress Anneliesse did for
              > "Chrysanthemum and the Sword";
              I rather fondly recall that event. I was there.
              > They also worked up simple tables for the guests, who did sit on the
              >>
              > floor. Depending on your audience or time period, that might be a bit
              > much.

              Well, I am not expecting a whole lot of folks to show up. However,
              there would be rather strict pre-registration in order to buy all of
              the hard-to-get ingredients. Two people have responded from
              Æthelmearc so far. They are suggesting that some people might even be
              interested in making or buying their own feast-gear in advance. I can
              work up plans for the trays. I do have six calligraphy tables, but
              they are in storage at Pennsic. I suppose that I could post plans for
              those as well.

            • Mori Michimori
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 19, 2009
                Solveig dono!

                Dôshu sends humble greetings.

                Solveig Throndardottir wrote:
                > Ii dono!
                >
                > Greetings from Solveig!
                >> That's what Mokurai-bozu and Mistress Anneliesse did for
                >> "Chrysanthemum and the Sword";
                >
                > I rather fondly recall that event. I was there.
                >
                >> They also worked up simple tables for the guests, who did sit on
                >> the floor. Depending on your audience or time period, that might
                >> be a bit much.
                >
                > Well, I am not expecting a whole lot of folks to show up. However,
                > there would be rather strict pre-registration in order to buy all of
                > the hard-to-get ingredients.

                Fugu, perhaps? ;)

                > Two people have responded from Æthelmearc so far. They are suggesting
                > that some people might even be interested in making or buying their
                > own feast-gear in advance. I can work up plans for the trays.

                I, for one, would be interested in advice concerning what makes a good
                set of Japanese feast gear, both for field (camping) and hall use.

                > I do have six calligraphy tables, but they are in storage at Pennsic.
                > I suppose that I could post plans for those as well.

                Those would be useful for gaming, too, I suspect. I always take a
                separate tourney chest to events, just for games. Please do post the
                construction plans.

                > Your Humble Servant Solveig Throndardottir Amateur Scholar

                Domo,

                Dôshu

                --
                Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
              • Elaine Koogler
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 20, 2009
                  We didn't actually build tables for people....we simply folded the legs
                  up under the tables that were in the hall and supported them on milk
                  crates (now, for our Middle Eastern feasts, one of our enterprising
                  Barony members made "legs" for the tables. While they aren't exactly
                  trays, they did help add the "feel" to the feast that we wanted. We
                  also advised our guests to bring cushions to sit on as the floor can be
                  very cold and hard.