Re: [SCA-JML] feasting knife

  • Mori Michimori
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
      This thread set me off to Google search.

      An early hit was Japan Woodworker.

      <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
      dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker>

      There is some beautiful stuff here, but judging by the prices on some
      of the vegetable knives, they must be made by Living National
      Treasures, using the full ritual!

      Dôshu Giiku
      --
      Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
    • James Eckman
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
        > Posted by: "Mori Michimori"

        > This thread set me off to Google search. An early hit was Japan
        > Woodworker. <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
        > dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker> There is some beautiful stuff here,
        > but judging by the prices on some of the vegetable knives, they must
        > be made by Living National Treasures, using the full ritual!
        Yes, Japan Woodworker in the tradition of Garrett Wade creates some of
        the finest tool porn ;) They do have stuff sane mortals can purchase
        though in addition to the mystical chisels formed by the soul of the
        samurai. I like their Ryoba saws with the replaceable blades, great for
        working in softwoods and the ones that are "blue hard" stay sharp for
        years. Note that mere mortals cannot sharpen Japanese saws (not a joke),
        the angles are much more difficult that western saws, so if your not
        local, buy a spare blade.

        Jim