Re: [SCA-JML] feasting knife

  • Mori Michimori
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
      Greetings, Solveig-dono!

      On Oct 7, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Solveig Throndardottir wrote:

      > Dôshu dono!
      >
      > Greetings from Solveig! With a name like that, I pretty much expect
      > you to be a vegetarian and in not much need of a knife.
      >
      > Your Humble Servant
      > Solveig Throndardottir
      > Amateur Scholar

      Ah! It is clear you have never faced a raging daikon! They get really
      dangerous when they're cornered.

      Dôshu
      --
      Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
    • Mori Michimori
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2009
        This thread set me off to Google search.

        An early hit was Japan Woodworker.

        <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
        dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker>

        There is some beautiful stuff here, but judging by the prices on some
        of the vegetable knives, they must be made by Living National
        Treasures, using the full ritual!

        Dôshu Giiku
        --
        Mori Daitarô Michimori-shônagon
      • James Eckman
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 8, 2009
          > Posted by: "Mori Michimori"

          > This thread set me off to Google search. An early hit was Japan
          > Woodworker. <http://www.japanwoodworker.com/dept.asp?
          > dept_id=13150&s=JapanWoodworker> There is some beautiful stuff here,
          > but judging by the prices on some of the vegetable knives, they must
          > be made by Living National Treasures, using the full ritual!
          Yes, Japan Woodworker in the tradition of Garrett Wade creates some of
          the finest tool porn ;) They do have stuff sane mortals can purchase
          though in addition to the mystical chisels formed by the soul of the
          samurai. I like their Ryoba saws with the replaceable blades, great for
          working in softwoods and the ones that are "blue hard" stay sharp for
          years. Note that mere mortals cannot sharpen Japanese saws (not a joke),
          the angles are much more difficult that western saws, so if your not
          local, buy a spare blade.

          Jim